Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi Anthony,

Nice account of your trip to the funeral of your friend, but there's something incongruous here. In London, drivers of 'Chelsea Tractors' or big 4X4s without towbars are reputed to add 'designer mud' to make them look like they've been used offroad.

After 2X200km of dirt road with boulders and wash-outs &c your vehicle looks like it's in a showroom. How did you manage that?

The little skirtsuit is nice, though

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:01 am After 2X200km of dirt road with boulders and wash-outs &c your vehicle looks like it's in a showroom. How did you manage that?
Ahhhhhh, you need water to make the dirt stick.
Note that I chose a dust coloured outfit, although if I wore black the end result would look the same.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ah yes! That's why camels are dust coloured, too. Here in the nanoseconds between year-round downpours the best camouflage is either green or grey.

And in poor visibility it's amazing here how many drivers of green or grey cars don't stick their lights on.

I expect the 'Chelsea tractor off-roaders' use plenty of wet to apply their designer mud.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:16 pmI expect the 'Chelsea tractor off-roaders' use plenty of wet to apply their designer mud.
Or super-glue...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

I noticed yesterday while the wearing of skirts by women here in NL is practically non-existent in the winter, the notable exception is women going to work. Naturally they are on a bike and so you see fairly tight skirts with pantyhose underneath cycling past. This is obviously just on the bit between home and work and cycling keeps you warm anyway.

I'm not sure people jogging past in leggings with a shirt that extends past the bum counts as a skirt/dress.

You occasionally see women with a coat/jacket that goes down to the knees. Sometimes you see a hint of fabric underneath which suggests a skirt, but who knows.

But there is definitely a distinct narrowing of the range. Perhaps they're worried about the wind catching wider skirts?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Spring time in Seattle. During the last two weeks I have seen a total of three women in skirts. But the weather has been fairly cool recently.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Spring in my corner of Scotland too and changeable weather as usual but yesterday was reasonably warm.
Out and about in the city centre yesterday and plenty skirts and dresses in evidence on the females.
However, I was the only guy in a skirt and no kilts either.
Steve.
Anyway, it was productive too, new specs, new phone and new trainers too.
All hip, cool and trendy.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Here in Wells (pop. 10,000-ish) there has been a small uptick in women wearing skirts and the occasional dress. And it's not uncommon to see men in shorts, and sometimes a kilt.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
jimskirts

Post by jimskirts »

I see several women wearing skirts and dresses, more than usual but not a majority.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have seen loads and loads wearing dresses/skirts, some of them really short. Very nice they appear too. Also more revealing tops. Forget the bending over and revealing unmentionables, bending over with a low top can reveal a whole lot more than they are perhaps aware of. Not wearing a bra can reveal the nipple outlines too. Sorry, there are a lot of things that, on a till, I have to look away from and the women don't seem shy about it! Sometimes they make men seem very, well, demure.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

My wife wears the trousers in our house. But I think I’ve had some effect on her, as a couple of weeks ago she suggested that she ought to wear skirts and dresses more. It’s not happened yet but the seed has been sown and I’ll try and encourage her.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Actually I have noticed that there are a lot more dresses than skirts around at the moment.
That is all over and a trend which I am more than happy to go along with.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Can't say that I have noticed any increase. In fact those wearing a skirt or dress tend to stand out due to their scarcity.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:21 pm Actually I have noticed that there are a lot more dresses than skirts around at the moment.
That is all over and a trend which I am more than happy to go along with.
Indeed, I actually read a fashion article recently which actually stated that dresses are currently way more popular than skirts in women's fashion. I then started paying attention and I think I agree. Who can blame them? Dress are much more comfortable.

What is especially noticeable is that they are often paired with a winter coat which is just as long as the dress. Nice combo in my opinion.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

In terms of what is available to buy, there are way more dresses than skirts on offer.
I can't say I have made a study of it but on the Marks and Spencer site there are 900 dresses to 100 skirts and I'd guess others could be similar.
On the coat dress combination, I invested in a long heavy coat this year which is way longer than any of my dresses.
Personally, I am happy enough with the overall look and it has garnered compliments along the way too.
Steve.