Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Postby Grok » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:30 pm

Kilted_John wrote:In any case, I haven't really noticed much difference over the past few years here in the Seattle area.
I basically concur. The general pattern, as has been mentioned, appears to be a peak of skirt/dress wearing during the summer, especially the hottest days of summer. As the weather morphs into autumn/turns chilly, damp and grey, few women wear skirts/dresses.

On the other hand, during the milder, dry sunny days of autumn, a few more women may wear skirts/dresses. Often with some type of obvious leggings, such as tights.

I will watch to see if there is a similar pattern next spring.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1668
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Postby Kilted_John » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:10 am

Grok wrote:
Kilted_John wrote:In any case, I haven't really noticed much difference over the past few years here in the Seattle area.
I basically concur. The general pattern, as has been mentioned, appears to be a peak of skirt/dress wearing during the summer, especially the hottest days of summer. As the weather morphs into autumn/turns chilly, damp and grey, few women wear skirts/dresses.

On the other hand, during the milder, dry sunny days of autumn, a few more women may wear skirts/dresses. Often with some type of obvious leggings, such as tights.

I will watch to see if there is a similar pattern next spring.


If the blob of warm water (see yesterday's post on the Cliff Mass weather blog site) off our coast remains in place, like it did during the 2013-2015 timeframe, we might see more around here than usual.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
User avatar
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:07 am
Location: Duvall, WA, USA

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Postby vendeebeaches » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:23 am

Our local Primark (UK Chain store) yesterday had the biggest range of skirts I've seen in there for along time.
vendeebeaches
Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:44 am
Location: Devon, England

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Postby weeladdie18 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:10 pm

vendeebeaches wrote:Our local Primark (UK Chain store) yesterday had the biggest range of skirts I've seen in there for along time.

Are you referring to new autumn stock....TU mainly produced in Turkey is the Female fashion Line for Sainsbury Supermarket
some of the skirts are interesting...I bought a couple of pencil skirts recently....nice and tight and close fitting, below the knee in stretchy material.........Location ...Helston ...Cornwall U.K.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Postby Kilty » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:18 am

weeladdie18 wrote:
vendeebeaches wrote:Our local Primark (UK Chain store) yesterday had the biggest range of skirts I've seen in there for along time.

Are you referring to new autumn stock....TU mainly produced in Turkey is the Female fashion Line for Sainsbury Supermarket
some of the skirts are interesting...I bought a couple of pencil skirts recently....nice and tight and close fitting, below the knee in stretchy material.........Location ...Helston ...Cornwall U.K.

Midi (below the knee) is a nice fashion range for this season, teamed with snug boots and tights and a nice blouse will look great! Weather is starting to cool down, but I still see a lot in skirts. Just wear tights :wink:
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:47 pm

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Postby vendeebeaches » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:07 am

weeladdie18 wrote:
vendeebeaches wrote:Our local Primark (UK Chain store) yesterday had the biggest range of skirts I've seen in there for along time.

Are you referring to new autumn stock

Yes it was new stock. 10-12 different lines which is a lot more than I've seen for along time.
vendeebeaches
Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:44 am
Location: Devon, England

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Postby john62 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:24 am

Today a online fashion summer catalogue was in the post, 84 pages, 6 skirts and 6 dresses!

John
john62
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:13 am
Location: Australia

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Postby Grok » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:11 pm

Yesterday we had very mild, Spring like weather in Seattle. (In striking contrast to the snow storms we had in February). Noticed a couple women out and about in skirts. Which is significantly more than I have seen since autumn.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1668
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Postby hillaryskirt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:51 pm

I saw a young woman wearing a nice claret A line shiny/satin fabric skirt today. Nicely tailored and nice clean lines.
A man could easily pull off this look too.
But is shinier and silky fabric okay for a man's look?
Back to topic and I'm sure I'm seeing more skirted girls although leggings are still very popular. :?
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
User avatar
hillaryskirt
Active Member
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:55 pm

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Postby STEVIE » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 pm

I really do not have an answer to the question. I still see a lot of leggings and assortments of trousers on the fair sex.
I did see a woman today who was wearing a similar skirt to my own.
Admittedly we were both in denim but it gave me a thought for Hilaryskirt.
I don't think she was masculine or me feminine. We just coincided in our choice of style and fabric.
If a fabric/look attracts, try it, wear it and enjoy it.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: North East Scotland.

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Postby hillaryskirt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:46 pm

STEVIE wrote:I don't think she was masculine or me feminine. We just coincided in our choice of style and fabric.
If a fabric/look attracts, try it, wear it and enjoy it.


Good point well made. Certainly I like shine. So there's my cue.
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
User avatar
hillaryskirt
Active Member
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:55 pm

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Postby crfriend » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:50 pm

hillaryskirt wrote:I saw a young woman wearing a nice claret A line shiny/satin fabric skirt today. Nicely tailored and nice clean lines.
A man could easily pull off this look too.
But is shinier and silky fabric okay for a man's look?

Personally, I would have to say, "Yes." Note my personal penchant for satins and velvets -- both of which are superb fabrics and both of which work on men quite well.
Back to topic and I'm sure I'm seeing more skirted girls although leggings are still very popular. :?

Each and every time I see a pair of leggings on anybody my mind simply screams, "'80s fashion victim!" It's not a good look in my opinion, although that opinion holds little weight in the court of public opinion. I thought is a naff look then, and I've seen no reason to change that opinion in the intervening decades.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 10231
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Postby weeladdie18 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:11 am

Back to topic and I'm sure I'm seeing more skirted girls although leggings are still very popular. :?

Each and every time I see a pair of leggings on anybody my mind simply screams, "'80s fashion victim!" It's not a good look in my opinion, although that opinion holds little weight in the court of public opinion. I thought is a naff look then, and I've seen no reason to change that opinion in the intervening decades.

In My part of U.K.....The female wearing tight black leggings with or with out a skirt or tunic , is still a popular trend....
the latest fashion out on the street is a mini skirt and thick black nylon tights......temperature now 10 to 14 c
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Postby Grok » Sat May 11, 2019 11:36 pm

Summer like weather yesterday in Seattle. Noticed several women out and about in skirts/dresses. I would say that the warm weather/skirts pattern is confirmed.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1668
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Previous

Return to Skirts and Kilts for Men

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BLEXBot, Google [Bot] and 2 guests