Bloody weather!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
bridkid

Bloody weather!

Post by bridkid »

It's gone cold here on the Yorkshire coast. Bloody cold. So no skirt for me today :( I tried some tights but I'm not happy with the look and it felt abit 'femme' so looks like my skirts will be away for the winter..unless it warms up.

How do my fellow members manage when the weather is crap?
If it aint Yorkshire, it's crap!
eightofnine

Re: Bloody weather!

Post by eightofnine »

what about a longer skirt? The firs time i went out wearing a skirt it was winter so i wore a ankle length denim skirt
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The colder the weather the longer the skirt. I have been skirted in 5 inches of snow. (For those of you who do not know what the word snow means Visit Denver in the winter.) :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote:(For those of you who do not know what the word snow means Visit Denver in the winter.) :lol:
Denver (Colorado/USA) is actually not all that good of a data-point as Denver is on the plains to the east of the Front Range. To get a proper perspective, one needs to get up into the mountains. Denver, in January, is frequently warm enough to wander around in one's shirt-sleeves.

Another place one might want to check out if one wants to experience snow is Buffalo, NY. The lake-effect snow there can pile up several feet-deep in a single storm sometimes.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

eightofnine wrote:what about a longer skirt? The firs time i went out wearing a skirt it was winter so i wore a ankle length denim skirt
I've got my longer 27" ones for winter or if I don't want to show too much legs off :mrgreen: Tights can keep you warm, especially the thermal ones :wink:
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

bridkid wrote:It's gone cold here on the Yorkshire coast. Bloody cold. So no skirt for me today :( I tried some tights but I'm not happy with the look and it felt abit 'femme' so looks like my skirts will be away for the winter..unless it warms up.

I'm so totally with how do my fellow members manage when the weather is crap?
I'm totally with you on this. Weather is now getting horrid, I also Don't like tights mainly becouse I Don't like the feel of them, I like bare legs. We had very cold day here near London with hail and thunder. Winter stresses me becouse I have to wear jeans and warm clothes. Hate it, hate it ,hate it.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

If it’s colder - opaque tights every time. I can’t begin to imagine why you would prefer bare legs over a nice pair of tights when it’s cold.

Above 20c - I totally get bare legs. However - leg lagging rocks!
bridkid

Post by bridkid »

hairy wrote:I'm totally with you on this. Weather is now getting horrid, I also Don't like tights mainly becouse I Don't like the feel of them, I like bare legs. We had very cold day here near London with hail and thunder. Winter stresses me becouse I have to wear jeans and warm clothes. Hate it, hate it ,hate it.
Me too, I usually don't mind the cold but since I started skirting, it, among other things has become a concern. I might try a longer skirt, as other members have suggested..
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

bridkid wrote:I usually don't mind the cold but since I started skirting, it, among other things has become a concern. I might try a longer skirt, as other members have suggested..
There are numerous tricks that can be deployed if one doesn't like tights. One is longer skirts (naturally enough) but there's also the materials that are in play; a heavy tweed skirt is going to be much warmer than a summer-weight gauze one. Underskirts, be they slips, petticoats, or both can be leveraged, also with a selection of fabrics; for the former, I usually use nylon as it keeps things from sticking to my legs but the others range from light polyester to heavy cotton.

For me in New England, which historically is colder and nastier in winter than most of the UK, a long heavy cotton skirt, a heavy cotton petti, a long nylon slip, and tights (the slip is essential with tights) is warm enough for me to be comfortable at rest in -5 F (~ -21 C) temperatures and very warm if I'm active. The key in this regard is keeping the hem dry -- if that gets wet and wicks you'll get very cold very quickly.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

The trouble I find with tights is they often just don't fit. Either too tight, or falling down. I usually wear thigh highs, (stay ups) or stockings with garter belt. (suspender belt) I like smooth opaque ones in darker colours. Worn with just below the knee woolen skirts, pretty flexible for temperature. I do find they tend to attract more attention, (or more comments) but generally positive. I think it's because bare legged means they can somehow twist their minds into believing "it's a kilt" but tights? Seems to throw them off.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Several posts on FB last night from friends in the UK who'd either got the fire going or had turned on the central heating. I couldn't resist posting a video of us sat under our pergola (surrounded by a bug sheet) listening to the wildlife as we ate and drank in comfortable 24c temps.

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm currently on a skirting hiatus and never got to the point where I skirted outdoors. When I was first dipping my toe into the world of skirting I tried tights and leggings and really enjoyed the feel and the look. The boots, tights and short(ish) skirt is definitely an autumnal / winter look that I'd like to attempt.

I like the look of the guy on this fashion blog.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

FranTastic444 wrote:Several posts on FB last night from friends in the UK who'd either got the fire going or had turned on the central heating. I couldn't resist posting a video of us sat under our pergola (surrounded by a bug sheet) listening to the wildlife as we ate and drank in comfortable 24c temps.

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm currently on a skirting hiatus and never got to the point where I skirted outdoors. When I was first dipping my toe into the world of skirting I tried tights and leggings and really enjoyed the feel and the look. The boots, tights and short(ish) skirt is definitely an autumnal / winter look that I'd like to attempt.

I like the look of the guy on this fashion blog.
That's not too different from my style, but not the jacket.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It's definitely cooler I'll grant you that. Not put the CH on yet and we're still sleeping on top of the bed or just under a light throw on a night. Trying to put off the CH switch on until September. Still going to work in shorts although thinking of reverting to trousers. And I'm in York just an hour's inland of you. As for tights, I wear them and like the silky feel of them. I don't think that they're fem at all. Many members here wear them for various reasons.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Wow, and to think we're still running the air conditioner. Though I believe the really hot days are mostly behind us now. The nights are getting into the 50's and 60's. But the daytime highs are still running in the 80's range.

Normally we don't start running the heat until around late October on average. Thought there may be an occasional chilly morning or two prior where we might kick it on just to break the chill. I'd say in a few more weeks we'll be pulling out the A.C. and storing for the winter and just opening our windows.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
bridkid

Post by bridkid »

Thing is though sinned, you don't have the bitter easterly breeze in York! It can be 17 in Whitby, with some windchill, go inland 3 miles and it's into the 20's..oh and I will be lucky to have the CH on at all this winter, our lass is menopausal so whatever the temp, she moans about being hot.. :roll: