Celebrity Big Brother..

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
bridkid

Celebrity Big Brother..

Post by bridkid »

Now, before I start, a disclaimer..I don't watch the rubbish, however our lass likes to watch it, I happened to catch a scene where a contestant, a Sikh man was wearing a skirt. I thought how marvellous, this is the sort of exposure us skirters need. I know David Beckham put that sarong on years ago, but he did it under duress I think, he looked uncomfortable and embarrassed. Had he worn it with confidence, skirting would have been more acceptable now.

So, all hail to the Sikh, I hope this moves things along as people will no doubt seek to emulate him!
If it aint Yorkshire, it's crap!
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Celebrity Big Brother..

Post by Charlie »

As soon as they stick the word "celebrity" in front of a TV title, I lose interest. Generally its people I've never heard of so they can't be that famous. Mrs C and I watched the first few series of "ordinary" Big Brother but after a while found more useful things to do with our lives...
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Charlie wrote:As soon as they stick the word "celebrity" in front of a TV title, I lose interest. Generally its people I've never heard of so they can't be that famous. Mrs C and I watched the first few series of "ordinary" Big Brother but after a while found more useful things to do with our lives...
Charlie
I do not watch this type of program as it tends to be very boring. I also do not watch the following types either:
Soap Operas
Reality Programs
Political Programs
Most News Shows
All of the Daytime Shows ( IE: The View, Opera etc.)
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The ONLY time I watched BB I turned to it accidentally and it was the time when Shilpa Shetty was ranting and raving at Jane Goody. I thought at the time that if that was the standard of entertainment then I was really saddened for the state of the entertainment industry. I have not watched it or CBB since. Like Fred I don't really have time for reality programmes ( surely an oxymoron as they are so far from reality ).
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

bridkid wrote:Now, before I start, a disclaimer..I don't watch the rubbish, however our lass likes to watch it, I happened to catch a scene where a contestant, a Sikh man was wearing a skirt. I thought how marvellous, this is the sort of exposure us skirters need. I know David Beckham put that sarong on years ago, but he did it under duress I think, he looked uncomfortable and embarrassed. Had he worn it with confidence, skirting would have been more acceptable now.

So, all hail to the Sikh, I hope this moves things along as people will no doubt seek to emulate him!
Hardeep Singh Kolhi is a kilted chef from Scotland, I liked his kilt suit when he entered the house, but again not a program I would go out of my way to watch. He was allegedly quite pervy with the girls in the house (the whole idea of the program is for us to be curious by the most jarring collection of D List celebrities and irritating people winding each other up, in the hope a few of them might sleep together or do something outrageous). His behaviour makes me know he wears the kilt for attention, NOT comfort, it is a bad representation of the kilt. Throw in the pan gender Human Ken Doll who has an alter ego Jessica, and you can see why very few watch this drivel, but may browse in the likes of the tabloids later on... Nothing to see here. They put all of lifes misfits together and it is survival of the fittest for whoever wins if anyone cares.

The guy has hardly been kilted, but is walking around in a towel or in jeans anyway :roll:
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Sorry people- never watched any of this type of program. Visual and verbal diarrhoea. Give me Tom and Jerry everytime. Cartoons like Gnome Alone don't do anything for me either.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

As far as I can remember there were photos of David Beckham in his sarong in the press . However I do not remember any interesting feature
stories regarding David Beckham and the sarong. The lack of sightings " In the Wild " of " Men in Skirts " does show the lack of interest in this alternative fashion......by the male population and the lack of any successful marketing of skirts for men.
Perhaps the popularity of " Men in Skirts " will only come from the popularity of the men who wear skirts out on the street ....
rather than the random actions of a few of our celebrity folk heroes. ............... weeladdie
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps the popularity of " Men in Skirts " will only come from the popularity of the men who wear skirts out on the street .... rather than the random actions of a few of our celebrity folk heroes.
That's one of the points of this forum -- to encourage men to walk bravely amongst their fellow humans with a sartorial style that's "different".

This is possible. Our lot here are shining examples of how it can be done. It can be done without shame; it can be done without reproach; and it can be done in reasonable security.

Only once in all my years of wearing skirts in public have I had to disengage because of security concerns -- and that had more to do with the mental (and drug-induced) state of one individual. Other than that, I've been fine.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

crfriend wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps the popularity of " Men in Skirts " will only come from the popularity of the men who wear skirts out on the street .... rather than the random actions of a few of our celebrity folk heroes.
That's one of the points of this forum -- to encourage men to walk bravely amongst their fellow humans with a sartorial style that's "different".

This is possible. Our lot here are shining examples of how it can be done. It can be done without shame; it can be done without reproach; and it can be done in reasonable security.

Only once in all my years of wearing skirts in public have I had to disengage because of security concerns -- and that had more to do with the mental (and drug-induced) state of one individual. Other than that, I've been fine.
I think if current Mens Skirt manufacturers didn't price items so high there would be more interest. Aside from the highly accepted kilt (loads of real life photos of kilts on Instagram) even Twitter searches turn up nothing... people might just see it as trying to get attention, this switch off or unsee. It is no longer a curious novelty as it was. "#manskirt" searches result in utility kilts. Even recently I have been trousered more this week, my Royal Blue skirt was too tight when I wore it Monday to work, so felt uncomfortable to walk in so needs a size 12, and I just found it easier to get on with work in chinos than making efforts with crossing legs, knees together, bag to carry stuff in etc.

Problem with any TV show will portray any skirted man badly :blue:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

To review a point that has been mentioned before....

The Taboo against MIS probably suppresses demand. Suppressing demand means that a garment loses the lower costs associated with mass production.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

But in the majority of skirts the production of the skirts doesn't really need to be changed. Maybe the label changed from size 14 or whatever to 34" waist and a bit of puff.
The material may be different but those that don't sell to men could be resold to women. After all, an A-line or mini skirt is the same for man or woman, the same with the pencil skirt, the calf-length, the ankle length and so on. There are members of this site that rock any of those skirts although we each have our preferences. The only change would be the way the skirts are marketed. So yes, there would be some costs associated with that but I can't see them being that great. A different slant on the unisex to start with maybe.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I have become skeptical about the term "unisex" in regards to skirts. I have seen it slapped onto skirts that won't fit the average guy. (The skirts seem to be intended for size zero women).

I figure that a skirt might succeed as unisex if two different demographic groups are kept in mind-larger women and men. With sales to women as well as men, perhaps that would be a way around the chicken-or-egg problem that I mentioned in my last post.

Skirts specifically intended for men seem to have poor prospects for success.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:I have become skeptical about the term "unisex" in regards to skirts.
There's also the "historical baggage" that "unisex" has always been about butching up women and without meaning as far as options for guys. I refuse to use it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Sinned wrote:But in the majority of skirts the production of the skirts doesn't really need to be changed. Maybe the label changed from size 14 or whatever to 34" waist and a bit of puff.
The material may be different but those that don't sell to men could be resold to women. After all, an A-line or mini skirt is the same for man or woman, the same with the pencil skirt, the calf-length, the ankle length and so on. There are members of this site that rock any of those skirts although we each have our preferences. The only change would be the way the skirts are marketed. So yes, there would be some costs associated with that but I can't see them being that great. A different slant on the unisex to start with maybe.
Denim pencil skirts are a great start for guys as they are very close to resembling shorts :)
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote:But in the majority of skirts the production of the skirts doesn't really need to be changed. Maybe the label changed from size 14 or whatever to 34" waist and a bit of puff.
If that were really so, it would make matters a good deal easier for first-time buyers, especially online buyers. Women of normal build have a larger hips-to-waist ratio than men, and thus a skirt which fits a man's waist could be disappointingly flappy around the hips.