The Driving Kilt or Driving Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Driving Kilt or Driving Skirt

Post by weeladdie18 »

Crfriend ....Sorry to hear about your Road Traffic Accident ....
Only one of the small cars or vans I have hired in the passed 15 years has had an alarm activated if the driver's seat belt was not fastened.......
As far as I can remember, the new car hired to my employer 12 years ago for the firm ' s car pool did not have an alarm fitted.......... weeladdie
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:Crfriend ....Sorry to hear about your Road Traffic Accident ....
This sort of thing happens, and the more time one spends on the road the larger one's threat cross-section. The important thing is that not only did everybody ultimately survive, bothers that weren't directly involved in the crash learnt something and modified their behaviour based on the observed outcome of the incident.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

r.m.anderson wrote:The Velcro closing would work in you favor here and the same for the gym skirt with the sliding latch closing.

The Velcro closing is common on the SportKilt kilts

For the gym skirt aka net ball lacrosse skirt image:
Your style of sports skirt has a slider on the left and Velcro between the outer apron and waist band on the right.

Used to be worn for female hockey and netball.....plenty of length and lots of small pleats..Should be worn with
traditional athletic under garments......would imagine the small pleats would require plenty of mantainance
Later replaced with wrap over garment with no pleats ........or tubular flared athletic skirt

Would agree with Hairy that a full skirt with an elastic waist is as good as anything Usually in a U.K. Charity shop at five pounds a time.
I was wearing one today with the twelve foot hem showing below a knee length wooly cardigan....Nice simple Clothes with a bit of colour.
Ideal for driving or walking round town. " Why am I wearing a skirt ? " .....
" This is my Gentlemans Driving Skirt .....Cool and comfortable for a warm summers day " weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

hairy wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:The Skater Skirt Design
Anyone into the geometry of skirt design ? Make a skirt with hem to top of the Kneecap....traditional Kilt height, and hem to match
8 yard hem length on a kilt....is this feasible ...Length without an apron would possibly be 7.5 yards or 22.5 feet

This would certainly be an interesting driving skirt......weeladdie
I hate the 24inch length of kilts, far too long on me.
I wear my Traditional Kilt to the top of the Kneecap. I wear 20 inch length with a height of 5 foot 3 inches.....so 24 ins length is probably for average
Height of approx. 6 feet.......It was suggested that one of my small Military Kilts was designed for a 14 year old Military Drummer Boy...weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Went into a school outfitters today whilst wearing a skirt...Was shown a Female School Uniform Kilt Skirt ..Asked if I could try the garment on and walked to the counter wearing the Kilt Skirt. Paid for the Kilt Skirt and asked the assistant what was the Tartan Pattern of the garment....She did not know.
I informed the young lady that I wore skirts because I was an old age pensioner and could not afford a new pair of trousers.

Walked out of the shop wearing my new Kilt Skirt ..The Garment I chose was exactly the same length as my best Kilt ....considerably lighter than
a Traditional Kilt and not uncontrollable in the wind. Major problem with type of garment is that it is likely to crease , and not really suitable for
driving . No problems walking in town as the garment looks like a Kilt .....changed back into a Driving Skirt before returning home

My new Kilt Skirt is not on my list as a Driving Skirt.....more suitable for walking and standing about....Perhaps not entirely suitable for school wear.
Looks nice if the wearer does not sit down all day and crease it up. Regular Basting Stitches and steam pressing required...not on my
number one list of casual skirts for every day wear......full technical construction report to follow. .....weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

crfriend wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:I am not sure of correct shape of a fashion garment known as a skater skirt
Technically they're either short A-line designs or occasionally short circle skirts. Most are the former.

A true "circle skirt" will lie flat on the floor when fully extended and look like a round tablecloth with a hole in the centre where the human goes. A-line skirts will bunch up un the floor anc can't be laid out perfectly flat. The shape and flare of an A-line is determined by the shape of the gores that make it up.

It would be possible to make a true skirt with a kilt-magnitude amount of fabric, but the thing would be ponderous at best, heavy, and difficult to control. The pleats in the kilt are there for a reason, and it's not just style; they make the garment wearable.
Thank you Carl ..... The Art Of Kilt Making ...is still in print......the knowledge of a time served Military Kilt making apprentice in Glasgow....
ghost written by one of her Kilt Making students in America with photos by the Ghost Writers husband...
still available in U.K. with its I. S .O. book number

....Please could you explain ...."shape of the Gores " .....
Am I correct in saying that they are the shaped panels which make up the the developed shape of the skirt from the outline shape from waist to hem ? .....weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

A bit colder early this morning indoors..15 C .....Mode of attire..three summer skirts with elasticated waist band , long knee length wooly sweater,
and knee length cardigan, pair of female wooly socks with thick soles ....I am old and I feel the cold..... 23 September will be first day of Autumn
Early start to sort my boats out ......serious bit of gardening this week...stood in my garden while my neighbour threw some rocks from an old
Cornish stone wall into my garden over his new 6 foot high fence.....will help to stop the badgers and foxes burrowing under his new fence......
out in the garden soon for breakfast.....fresh wild blackberries picked from the bushes ..... ..weeladdie
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote: ....Please could you explain ...."shape of the Gores " .....

Am I correct in saying that they are the shaped panels which make up the the developed shape of the skirt from the outline shape from waist to hem ?
Essentially, yes. The genius -- and the devil -- is always in the details.

Gores and seaming are two ways of turning a two-dimensional design/pattern into a three-dimensional object (e.g. a skirt), The placement of seams and the way the two-dimensional fabric is cut and then sewn determines the shape of the final three-dimensional object.

In the case of a "pure" A-line skirt with straight flare and a consistent length the gores resemble Isosceles triangles where the long (in the case of a midi; this may be reversed in the case of a very short mini) sides are precisely equal and where the sharp "tip" would have been is cut away and replaced with a curve designed to create where the waist for the skirt would be; the lower edge is similarly curved so the lower hem will be straight in the finished product. For this case, envision a pizza cut into 6 slices (a fairly common number of gores; I've see 3 to 8 or more) with a round hole cut into the centre and you'll get the picture -- that's for a true "circle skirt" which is actually 2-dimensional because you can lay it flat without distortion. Tighten the angle of cuts and retain the same number of gores and you'll get a 3-D object resembling a cone -- an A-line skirt, but you can't lay it out flat without distorting it.

By replacing the straight-sided gores in a classic A-line design, one can create distinct shapes. For instance, a "trumpet skirt" (where the lower hem flares out dramatically from the conventional cone shape is done by changing the straight triangle shapes to have curves (concave partial parabolas in this case) so as to shape what the 3-D object would take. A "hobble skirt" would be the opposite of this where the curves in the gores would be convex so the hem dimension would get smaller.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

weeladdie18 wrote: ....Please could you explain ...."shape of the Gores " .....
Am I correct in saying that they are the shaped panels which make up the the developed shape of the skirt from the outline shape from waist to hem ?
There is more info about how the panels are developed in my website guide to making your own 'A'-line skirt
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

weeladdie18 wrote:Went into a school outfitters today whilst wearing a skirt...Was shown a Female School Uniform Kilt Skirt ..Asked if I could try the garment on and walked to the counter wearing the Kilt Skirt. Paid for the Kilt Skirt and asked the assistant what was the Tartan Pattern of the garment....She did not know.
I think that school uniform skirts look quite practical, sort of light weight kilt style, but reluctant to buy one and certainly would feel uncomfortable wearing one in the area of it's use.
weeladdie18 wrote: I informed the young lady that I wore skirts because I was an old age pensioner and could not afford a new pair of trousers.
That is a terrible reason or excuse, even if you were joking it could end up with dire consequences .............. someone giving you a new pair of pants!
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I like the tartan skirt that the school mandated for girls of my granddaughter's ages but when mentioned on this site about me purchasing one I was advised against it as the school was within 10 minutes walk. I agree with this consensus as it would appear a bit pervy, [0] so although I like the tartan I won't be buying one and WL Iwould caution anyone similarly where the school is local.

[0] Not exactly the right word but it would seem that you could be trying to mimic the young girls' look and that would probably not be the impression you would want to project.

To get back to the driving skirt. Really, any skirt that I wear would be a driving skirt. I don't think that any of my skirts wouldn't qualify. [1]

[1] Terrible English - double negative sets a bad example.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Terrible English - double negative sets a bad example.
No it doesn't. It does a very good job of illustrating bad usage.

There is no such thing as a "failed experiment". It can always be used as an illustration of a "bad situation".
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

denimini wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Went into a school outfitters today whilst wearing a skirt...Was shown a Female School Uniform Kilt Skirt ..Asked if I could try the garment on and walked to the counter wearing the Kilt Skirt. Paid for the Kilt Skirt and asked the assistant what was the Tartan Pattern of the garment....She did not know.
I think that school uniform skirts look quite practical, sort of light weight kilt style, but reluctant to buy one and certainly would feel uncomfortable wearing one in the area of it's use.
weeladdie18 wrote: I informed the young lady that I wore skirts because I was an old age pensioner and could not afford a new pair of trousers.
That is a terrible reason or excuse, even if you were joking it could end up with dire consequences .............. someone giving you a new pair of pants!
I am a hardened skirt wearer...probably 30 years....I have worked on the fishing ...which is probably the most dangerous occupation in the World,
so hope to keep my sense of humour rather dry.
Discovered yesterday the School Kilt Skirt Tartan is a recognised Cornish Tartan.
The garment could be described as a poor mans Kilt. An assistant with a local heritage organisation recognised the tartan and liked my " Kilt ".
The garment was worn with full Scottish Casual Day Wear including Jacket , Sporran ,Collar and Tie .
On my body the Garment is the correct Traditional Kilt Length....top of the Kneecap....events yesterday indicated that I was wearing a Kilt.
The garment was worn yesterday in a location a one and a half hour drive away from the School which wears my style of "Kilt "
as part of its School Uniform......The Identification of the School is made by the School Badge on the School Blazer , not the Tartan of the
School Skirt ...this is a Cornish district tartan and not a Cornish School Tartan.
Denimini also refered to School Skirts. I have both a Black and a Grey heavy wear pleated garment , worn to the top of the Kneecap like my style
of Kilt Wearing. Nether of these garments is worn within the catchment area of the use of the black or grey skirt as part of a school uniform.
I wear these skirts as a "man in skirts " with a modified style of the traditional Scottish Kilt wearing attire..... weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

crfriend wrote:
Sinned wrote:Terrible English - double negative sets a bad example.
No it doesn't. It does a very good job of illustrating bad usage.

There is no such thing as a "failed experiment". It can always be used as an illustration of a "bad situation".
Gentlemen I concur with the post of " crfriend " ....weeladdie
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

denimini wrote:
I heard a story of a Scotsman hitch hiking across Canada in his Kilt . A car drove past and then returned and threw a pair of trousers out of the
window at the feet of the Hitch Hiking Scotsman...........weeladdie