The Driving Kilt or Driving Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

The Driving Kilt or Driving Skirt

Post by weeladdie18 »

A couple of days ago I was driving home in my trousers the heat of the day and thinking I would be far more comfortable in a nice cool skirt. ........
I normally wear a skirt for driving , ..so why not design a male driving skirt ?
...Features could be a full wrap over garment with Kilt like aprons which wrap from hip to hip at the waistband.
...Perhaps a simple sarong like fastening with the two straps at the ends tied together ..............
...A full Circle or A Line shape
...Easy to change out of or into when going for a drive .....
...If the hem is below the knee , the material prevents the skin of the legs having contact with the seat
...Could be made in both light weight summer skirt material and heavy winter tweed
...as a marketing ploy this skirt for a gentleman could be called a Driving Kilt although the design looks more like a skirt than a traditional Kilt.

.................weeladdie
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Driving Kilt or Driving Skirt

Post by Jim »

For those of us skirtonians who are also nudists, a quick-fasten wrap-around design would be optimal. One could drive with it unwrapped then close over one's lap and fasten in a couple seconds.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I'm all in favour of driving in a kilt-skirt and a wrap-over design does the trick admirably.

Not sure about the below-the-knee hemline. A knee-length skirt will end up below the knee when seated anyway, so I go for shorter lengths myself. There is also for me the desire to grasp a large-ish bottle of liquid between my thighs....not possible with a wrap-over double-apron design, hence my liking for very flared or pleated designs, which allow a bottle-holding valley between the pins.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I wear a mini skirt when driving as it is what I wear generally. Only disadvantage is that the sun is often on my legs and I have to cover them on long stretches of driving - I don't burn but I try and minimise the risk of skin cancer. The skirt is short enough that I can grasp the water bottle between my bare thighs to open it - this can be a bit of a shock early in the trip when it is still chilled. The mini is long enough to catch the crumbs from eating a snack rather than have them making their way to the seat as they do with pants.
I don't like pleats at the back for driving as they get untidy sitting on them so much. No problem sitting in a car wearing a mini because only visible to truck drivers who are looking down on you.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I would think that an "A" frame skaters skirt would be ideal -
enough material to cover the necessities and avoid sun burn -
no pleats to be pleated to the sit (LOL) -
light weight material and unlike the kilt with the doubled aprons -
no restrictions like a pencil skirt -
no extra material to deploy (ankle skirt) in entering exiting -
and no extra material to interfere with the brakes accelerator and clutch -
and colors mix and match with the cars interior.

So there you have it - I didn't say anything about wearing skates -
and the "A" frame is not a model of the car !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Skirting in my last holiday touring car would have been totally impractical :-)

bridkid

Post by bridkid »

There really is nothing like a miniskirt for driving. Far more comfortable than trousers of course. It's learning the art of modesty getting in and out of the car that takes practice!

Oh and the air conditioning when it's hot, sheer bliss!!
If it aint Yorkshire, it's crap!
bridkid

Post by bridkid »

Skirting in my last holiday touring car would have been totally impractical

I see what you mean! Though I have a denim micro that would just about do..!
If it aint Yorkshire, it's crap!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

r.m.anderson wrote:I would think that an "A" frame skaters skirt would be ideal -

Is "A" Frame the same as "A-line"?

I thought about your idea, and figured that the garment should have pockets for keys and wallet (similar to my Macabi knee length). I then thought...I had conceived of a Utility-skater skirt! :shock:
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I would like to thank my friends for their interest in wearing a skirt for driving. It is worth noting that there is no preferred style or length of skirt.
My thoughts were that this might be a practical reason for wearing a skirt, this thought was confirmed ,
but there does not appear to be any particular style of driving skirt which is sufficiently popular to be worth marketing in economic quantities.

I have found that my summer skirts and sarongs can be pulled up well above my knees in warm weather ,or the hem can be pulled down over my
knees to protect my skin from the hot sun....... Perhaps in the future the male will seriously consider the suitability of his preferred type of skirt
for driving.....and increase the popularity of the fashion of " Men in Skirts " ......................weeladdie
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

If you want a couple of funny stories about driving while wearing a skirt go to The Worm Has Turned for 11/1/16 and 11/17/16.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Grok wrote:
r.m.anderson wrote:I would think that an "A" frame skaters skirt would be ideal -

I thought about your idea, and figured that the garment should have pockets for keys and wallet (similar to my Macabi knee length). I then thought...I had conceived of a Utility-skater skirt! :shock:
When considering carrying items in pockets then also consider reinforcing the waist to carry the load either by belt or (kilt) straps.
A simple elastic band waist on a skirt will take only so much weight before giving way.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I don't like pockets at all while driving. With some stuff in the front pockets of trousers, they are in the way when you sit and also noticable under the seatbelts. Pockets at the rear are of course out of the question. I feel it as a relief when driving in skirts without pockets or empty pockets. To carry stuff, I use a fanny pack that I unbuckle and put someplace else in the car.
I found pockets useless anyway while driving. Try to get something out of your pocket while seated or under the seatbelt. Small things like a creditcard or dollar bills I put in my breast pocket. Easy access.

The A-frame I only know from hoisting. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

"A" frame

Grok

beachlion
The A-frame I only know from hoisting. ;)

OK - SkirtCafe poetic license - its all about the "A" !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Yes... " A Frame " An Engineering and construction term ....R S J steel construction shaped like letter " A "
....used for lifting and pushing heavy objects

A Line skirt ....Flared skirt...the lower part of flare curves outwards like the rim of some bells..... shape is formed by complex shape of
each section of material

skater skirt is short full skirt as worn by a skater. I am not sure of correct shape of a fashion garment known as a skater skirt
Saw one being worn yesterday. Looked really full with many flares laying like loose unpressed pleats
Perhaps a design worth exploring as an alternative to the Kilt.....The pattern would be an interesting geometrical shape.
I love skirt designs with plenty of swagger in the movement......hem length possibly twice that of a full circle skirt. .................... weeladdie