OMG Moment..

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
bridkid

OMG Moment..

Post by bridkid »

So today has been a hot day in the good old north, I was sweating it out all day on site, in jeans and covered in brick dust, I just couldn't wait to get home, shower and put a skirt on. All so far so good.

Then I decided to go to Sainsbury's for some ale and a few bits of shopping. As I was perusing the isles< I bumped into my parents (both in their 80's), the conversation went thus:

Ay up ma, you ok?

'You're wearing a skirt'
'You don't need specsavers'
'Why are you in a skirt?'
'Because it's hot'
'Oh, ok then'
'Then my dad proceeds to talk about an ongoing electrical problem with one of his bikes, then says 'nice and cool is it? Come round at the weekend and have a look at my bike'

So, that's me well and truly outed as a skirter!
If it aint Yorkshire, it's crap!
floatingmetal

Re: OMG Moment..

Post by floatingmetal »

That's great! Don't think you could ask for much better? Decided what you're going to wear for bike fettling at the weekend?
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

You have sensible and rational parents. No hysteric reactions. I think you can expect that from people who went through a war. They have seen a thing or two. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Excellent!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

bridkid wrote:So, that's me well and truly outed as a skirter!
Well, given that, I would surmise that the beach-head has been taken -- and taken decisively. Well done! Next to spouses and "significant others" parents and family seem to be the toughest nuts to crack.

The future looks bright.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

Good to know bridkid!!

What skirt were you wearing when you bumped your parents?

Tes
bridkid

Post by bridkid »

tesjolts wrote:Good to know bridkid!!

What skirt were you wearing when you bumped your parents?

Tes
Hi Tes, I was wearing a pleated denim a line just above the knee..
bridkid

Post by bridkid »

skirtyscot wrote:Excellent!
It's strange skirtyscot, just how easy it is skirting in public. No-one really cares, so any bloke out there who hates having sweaty nuts should just put on a skirt and go for it!
bridkid

Post by bridkid »

crfriend wrote:
bridkid wrote:So, that's me well and truly outed as a skirter!
Well, given that, I would surmise that the beach-head has been taken -- and taken decisively. Well done! Next to spouses and "significant others" parents and family seem to be the toughest nuts to crack.

The future looks bright.
I was going to discuss it with my folks at the weekend, to gauge their reaction (they're very traditional) but there's no need for it now! Even my adult daughter is fine with it..so that's it, if it's warm outside, I shall be wearing a skirt!
bridkid

Post by bridkid »

floatingmetal wrote:That's great! Don't think you could ask for much better? Decided what you're going to wear for bike fettling at the weekend?
No, I don't think I could either. Unfortunately I shall be donning a boiler suit, I wouldn't want to get oil on my clean skirt, lol!
bridkid

Post by bridkid »

beachlion wrote:You have sensible and rational parents. No hysteric reactions. I think you can expect that from people who went through a war. They have seen a thing or two. ;)
This is true, my dad has worked all over the world with lots of tales to tell..so seeing a bloke in a skirt is no big deal, but I was concerned about his reaction to seeing his son wearing one, I needn't have worried!
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

I’m sure you were almost as surprised to see your parents as they were to see you (in a skirt.)

ONLY a parent’s love and understanding. Glad to hear of your positive experience.

RG
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

I had a similar experience this week, meeting my father while wearing a Skirtcraft’s Unaligned skirt. He just smiled, said something like ‘hey, cool’ and joked that I might go further breaking rules (I also have my hair dyed blue) and get some make-up (to which I said that’s not my thing).
Knowing my father has quite conservative views, I was very surprised :)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Well if that all he is going to do is wear a skirt - WHEW - at least he is not coming back to roost in the parents nest ! LOL !

So what are you going to do now for an encore - now that your skirted endeavor has blown your cover ?

With the invite to come around and look at the fathers bike - make sure that skirt is suitable to take a ride on it.

Ice broke - glass ceiling still intact - carry on - enjoy the ride - don't look in the rear view mirror !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

andrewsh wrote:I had a similar experience this week, meeting my father while wearing a Skirtcraft’s Unaligned skirt. He just smiled, said something like ‘hey, cool’ and joked that I might go further breaking rules (I also have my hair dyed blue) and get some make-up (to which I said that’s not my thing).
Knowing my father has quite conservative views, I was very surprised :)
You're home free. Just revel in it and hope it doesn't change.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron