This is encouraging

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
steamman

This is encouraging

Post by steamman »

Seems like the fashion world is finally waking up to the vast untapped market out there!

https://fashionunited.uk/news/fashion/s ... 8071830832
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: This is encouraging

Post by Stu »

Definitely encouraging...but we have been here before several times.

Will we see anything like these in Debenham's (UK) or Macy's (US)? Will H & M make another attempt to market such garments to men as they did about 15-years ago? Time will tell.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Yes, this sort of thing has been going on for 15-20 years now and there's still no traction.

I'm surprised the designers keep it up but I suppose it gains them some attention and notoriety.

And who knows, one of these years it just might go viral.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

It may have been happening for years but it is still progress. Persistencey is the key.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

The tone of the articles is changing; I now frequently read calm analysis of the topic, rather than derision. Attitudes to gender are also slowly changing. I am quietly hopeful.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

same as the item earlier posted in respect of the Fashion factory, modefabriek
steamman

Post by steamman »

I've just realised that a video has been posted of the same event on another thread! Oops.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

steamman wrote:I've just realised that a video has been posted of the same event on another thread! Oops.
No worries on that count, I actually enjoyed the read! (I am usually video-averse and prefer the written word because I read vastly faster than the spoken word usually flows.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

crfriend wrote:I am usually video-averse and prefer the written word because I read vastly faster than the spoken word usually flows.
Hurrah for that, then: I was beginning to think I was the only one.

BTW, I do like that pentode bottle of yours -- a nostalgia trip every time I see it :-)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

geron wrote:BTW, I do like that pentode bottle [...] -- a nostalgia trip every time I see it :-)
It's a bit of an inside joke, and it's nice to find folks who "get it". Sadly, I have not yet encountered a computer fashioned using valves but I hope to sometime before my time-allotment on this rock expires.

At the risk of creating an oxymoron, "Firebottles are cool!"
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Sadly, I have not yet encountered a computer fashioned using valves but I hope to sometime before my time-allotment on this rock expires.
There was one in Bletchley Park (England) when I visited it about 10 years ago.  I hear they have dumbed-down the technical exhibits now, but I expect Colossus will still be on display.  The original design used double-triodes in the registers, but at least one of the chassis that I saw on display was using pairs of triode-strapped EF50 pentodes.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote:There was [a valve computer] in Bletchley Park (England) when I visited it about 10 years ago.  I hear they have dumbed-down the technical exhibits now, but I expect Colossus will still be on display.  The original design used double-triodes in the registers, but at least one of the chassis that I saw on display was using pairs of triode-strapped EF50 pentodes.
Dumbing-down of stuff is very sadly the norm now. That's the primary thing that killed Boston's Computer Museum in the mid 1990s; it seems they took their location right next to Boston's Childrens Museum too literally and dumbed it down to the point where it was useless as a resource. My history group was one of the last groups to see the historical collection [0] in the back-rooms before it was shipped out to California where key parts of New England and Massachusetts history remain.

The Colossus that's at Bletchley Park I believe is a replica, not an original. That it's got EF50s as valves isn't surprising, as those were common-enough tubes at the time, and, properly configured, a pentode will outperform a triode in digital applications. A lot of valve machines used dual-triodes, though. These were later superseded by ones specifically designed for computers.

[0] Hilariously, see this image from Wikipedia of the system in California -- the tape-outline from a long-lost bulletin of some sort is still on the side of the main console panel!
Last edited by crfriend on Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added footnote
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

At the risk of prolonging this thread-drift, it's a few years since I've been to Bletchley Park -- they were just beginning to set up the National Museum of Computing there (http://www.tnmoc.org). But, as I remember, they were made to dismantle Colossus after the war to prevent the knowledge from escaping, and the Government didn't remove it from the secret list until 1975. The version you can now see was built from parts scavenged from elsewhere, including ancient Post Office telephone equipment.

My own experience of valves is more modest -- there was an EF80 pentode in the first audio amplifier I built, as a teenager :-)