Where Do we Draw the Line ?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where Do we Draw the Line ?

Post by skirtyscot »

mishawakaskirt wrote:Sounds like a great rule to me, even sounds kind of catchy "rule of one"

Oo-err, I break that one all winter, when I wear tights. I occasionally wear a long skirt, but nowhere near as often as I used to. I'd say a slip doesn't count, but my ankle boots do. I have acquired a couple of handbags, but that's where I struggle.
mishawakaskirt wrote:I have other self imposed rules that I personally follow.
1 Skirt must be modest, nothing shorter than 18 inchs. I'm 5 foot 6 so 18 inches is mid knee for me.

I'm a bit taller, 5'10", so 18" is a bit shorter on me, and I happily go to 17". There are so many skirts available at that length, if you won't go as short as that, you limit your choice an awful lot.
mishawakaskirt wrote:2 Skirt must cover the gap between the knees when seated. I do not sit like a lady, that gets uncomfortable real fast.
I have no problem at all sitting with my knees together. Lacking the evil constricting trouser crotch, skirts have plenty of room unless they are very narrow. If you don't have enough room, maybe your underwear is the problem.
mishawakaskirt wrote:3 skirt must be practical/comfortable. Skirts can be uncomfortable, in my early days I encountered a few, I no longer have. Must be Normal easy Care washing, durable materials, no or minimum embellishments, embroidery, no designer tears or fading. No Beads buttons or sequins.
Comfortable, goes without saying. Otherwise I wouldn't wear them. Lots of my winter skirts are woollen and need dry cleaning. I just accept that as part of the deal. To do otherwise would be to limit my choices.
mishawakaskirt wrote:4 skirt must be a solid color. Unless it's a kilt.
I used to think that, but I got over it. Most of mine are plain, but again, why restrict yourself?
mishawakaskirt wrote:5 I admit is quirky. If it has a jeans style front it must zip Right side like men's jeans. After all women's denim fashion copied men's clothing. I'm too young to remember, but I have been told that originally women s trousers fastened left sided and or other than in the front to not appear as men's. Now apparently anything goes.
First Unenlightened Trouser Man: "Hey look Dave, that guy is wearing a woman's skirt!"
Second UTM: "No, Bill, look more closely. The fly opens to the right. It's a man's skirt."
Hardly likely.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Daryl wrote: It's pretty hard to hide maleness but not so hard to signal that you want to be considered as female. We men in skirts are busily taking away one of the ways that signal can be sent; wearing a skirt; but there are plenty more. Alterations of voice and general comportment are chief among those, I think.
Also, much of the jewelry that women wear. The frilly stuff on some garments marketed for women.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

For those who feel that carrying a handbag would carry things too far, try carrying a camera bag. Everyone will think you are a photographer.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:For those who feel that carrying a handbag would carry things too far, try carrying a camera bag. Everyone will think you are a photographer.
A photographer without pockets is quite a striking image - ah er no room for a flash drive - and clearly no room either for a selfie stick -
and about the photo asseccories what to do - well just zip it and bag it !

I like a cross or over-the-shoulder bag while it is not perfect it does a good job of keeping all the essentials within reach and relatively
safe from pick-pocket artist who abhors pocketless garments - nothing to pick here - I am going to be out of a job profession.

JeffB1959 has quite a variety of the shoulder bags - most of them too large for me - I prefer the more petite passport size.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirtyscot wrote:First Unenlightened Trouser Man: "Hey look Dave, that guy is wearing a woman's skirt!"
Second UTM: "No, Bill, look more closely. The fly opens to the right. It's a man's skirt."
Hardly likely.
I'm picturing this actually taking place... :lol: :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

denimini wrote:I don't have any rules. I do have preferences, which I feel at liberty to change at a moments notice.
Same here.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Shoulder bags: I have a few shoulder bags. The one I have been carrying lately is a military looking bag with two zipper compartments and two Velcro flap pockets. One is for my cell phone and the other for an aluminum credit card wallet. I have plenty of space for stuff that I would usually keep in my pockets except I don’t like to sit on a wallet. It is like sitting on a potato, plus keys, comb, etc. I have had stupid comments about it twice, “is that your purse?” “Yes it is and it goes with my panties”, which stopped the conversations.

(Sorry for the forbidden subject of under garments).
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Man bags came from Italy many years ago ....I used to carry a nearly new grey leather shoulder bag which served the purpose. I currently use
a small hiking bag with plenty of pockets which will carry my daily supply of food purchases.
I have probably said before that a traditional male sports jacket has plenty of pockets for my male requirements of keys ,wallet and
other Items. I often wear a Drovers Sporran on my waist belt...This is handy for my spectacles...........weeladdie
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I skimmed this thread with a certain amount of exasperation. Namely a lot.

In the first place, the subject line suggests there’s some group norm within our community. I hope not; why would we abandon society’s norm just to turn around and impose another on ourselves? That doesn't make any sense! At least not to me.

In the second place, even setting and sticking to a line denies oneself the basic joy of womenswear; there is a type of outfit, fabric, color, texture and style that perfectly captures your feeling around where you are going, what you are doing and both the human and natural environments you’re doing it in. Why would you compromise that capability with some arbitrary, self-imposed rule?

I get that when we’re first venturing out we play those mind games with ourselves. I should know, I did it myself. If you go far enough back in my posts you’ll see that I said that what we should look for are items that if the rest of the world embraced our message would be in the Men’s Department. A skirted suit being an obvious choice. At that stage in my journey I categorically excluded ruffles, florals and tiered skirts and dresses.

Soon I figured out that even most women find certain items too girly or too butch for their own taste. But that’s the key qualifier; their taste.

If you go through my closet you’ll find a beautiful, ivory, silk blouse with a very visible ruffle running down the button placket. I love it! There are also several floral dresses and and even a color blocked sheath with a tiered skirt. I’ve avoided bell and flutter sleeves, but I recently bought a dress with cap flutter sleeves because it’s just such a FUN dress! Boy, has that ever proved to be true! But let’s just say that situation is not the kind of thing a gentleman broadcasts!

Back on topic, there are things I still reject out of hand because they just wouldn’t work for me. And that, I submit should be your standard.

Looking back I feel my self-imposed rules were a necessary crutch, but please don’t think yours are any more than that. Many days I don’t wear a single stitch of menswear, but only once in over 3 years has someone mistaken my presentation for being female. That case of mistaken identity was by a Costco sales associate on a day I was pushing the envelope. And at that he was the only one and I could tell he mentally flipped a coin before he said, “Ma’am.”

So have no fear, you can dress as girly as YOU please and your masculinity will still shine through. My only suggestion is that whatever you wear, make sure it expresses your genuine self.
Last edited by Pdxfashionpioneer on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I would certainly agree with PDX Fashion Pioneer that both the male and female genders dress in their skirts " to their own taste.."
I used " Where do we draw the line ? " as a title for the thread. The general opinion is that " men in skirts " dress to feel comfortable and
each male's dresses in his skirts to his own particular choice....many "men in skirts " have been exploring the world of skirt wearing for
thirty or forty years with the only guidance being their acceptance by the their community or lack of comment from those who had their own
lives to live.....perhaps we who wish to break the current male style of trouser wearing become street wise and learn how to steer clear of problems.
The majority of males just dress in traditional male attire and do not even consider our style of "men in skirts " as a possible alternative.
Today I went out in my Traditional 8 yard Scottish Kilt with a Roll Neck Sweater and an Argyle Scottish Kilt Jacket. .....No comment from
The lassies today....They were all busy with their own lives ....Some had discussed this attire with me before.
I had no agenda today ; I was wearing this Kilt Outfit as it gives me protection from the cooler weather and is delightfully comfortable to wear.
One comment I would make ; If one wishes to wear the Kilt, Please make sure that you know what you are doing.....there are guide lines
in the wearing of the Traditional Scottish Highland Dress. ................................
However , with regard to the " Man in a Skirt " ......he as the freedom to wear his skirts to his own personal taste...................
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

There are a couple more points I wish to make regarding the post of Fashion Pioneer........I started an earlier thread regarding
Male Skirt Suits....... I do feel that this style of attire is perfect for some of my " Man in a Skirt " activities. ........
I feel that a Male Jacket and matching Male Pencil Skirt worn with a collar and tie make a comfortable alternative to the male trouser suit.

I have been refered to as a Lady or a... "Thank you madam "..
...... simply because the female speaker noticed the eye catching colours of the summer skirt I was wearing at the time..............
without considering the gender of the wearer.........weeladdie
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I think that it is agreed that we each have a "line" that depends upon out environment, experiences, family ( especially spouses ), personality, taste and upbringing. But I find that my line currently excludes, dresses [0], florals, peripherals such as frills, midi and maxi skirts, shoes[1] and some others. BUT the "line" or boundary isn't static. I have included in my wardrobe cami tops, vests, a few dresses [2] something that I would have not thought possible a year ago. So my boundaries are increasing as I learn and develop. I have seen it do so with many of you also. In summary we each have our own line or boundary and we push that at our own pace.

[0] For the most part partly because of my build, big shoulders, and finding something suitable.
[1] I have some shoes that I really like, bought early on when I thought that you had to go the whole way to wear a skirt. I would like to wear them but friction with MOH is the stumbling block.
[2] MOH donated some dresses to me that she considered too short for her and these could be considers sleeveless LBD's and longer versions of T-shirts and vests.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Sinned, is YOH taller than you? Or does she have a different idea of how short is too short?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps it depends on how one intends to wear these garments .
I found a T Shirt style black dress which is not acceptable for summer wear but will make a warm undergarment for the winter.......weeladdie
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

No, SS, MOH is considerably shorter than me, by a head. I think that they were bought when she was a lot younger and less conservative. Me, like OS, like 'em short so I don't mind. Her loss is my gain.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.