how short can you go in skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

how short can you go in skirts

Post by hairy »

I'm 5 and half foot short, I do like mini skirts in summer and I know I'm OK in public with skirts down to 14 and half inchs. I'm wondering if there's any of you around same height as me with slim build that dare wear anything as short as that.

I have to take care not to wear anything light weight and short on a windy day, but I just can't take wearing long skirts.
How short can I go? Strange question I know.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: how short can you go in skirts

Post by crfriend »

hairy wrote:How short can I go?
Well, you could probably go to zero inches, but whether the coppers would abide by that is open to conjecture.

I wear short stuff from time to time, but short for me is about 18", but then again I'm 6'4" so there's a serious difference in geometry there.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I guess I have a rep on the café for liking short skirts. Nothing like skirtdad but short

I am 5'5 about 175 so I am not slim

I have worn a 12 inch micro out one time but that was to a private house party.

the skirt in the picture is about 14 I have worn this running errands.

for around the house I have some very short minis 13 inches . in fact that is what I am wearing right now but I plan on working home

My other short skirts are skater type about 16 inches.

You say you are slim so I would think that you could probably wear a 13 inch straight type skirt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I am a towering 5ft-7" and usually wear 14" minis in public without any hesitation; working on scaffold on the main street, shopping and travelling on city trains at peak hour; I was standing on a train with most people seated and did not feel uncomfortable. I wear them low on the waist (on the hips) and guess that there would be a couple of inches in that. I just measured one that I wore a lot on my last trip to Sydney and it was 12.5" front and 13.5" back .... it is the back you have to consider with minis; 2 mirrors or a camera are a help.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I'm 5' 10.5" and weigh about about 160 pound. My skirts for general outside use are between 17" and 19". Fot in the house and garden it is around 14". When I go to the beach, I walk the last part through the dunes and at the beach in 12". With 12" it is standing or walking only if you want to stay more or less decent. For me the absolute limit would be a hem that is level with the spot where the buttock meets the thigh. But that is the approach of me as a technician. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

The skirts I'm wearing at my mom's house (she's ailing and needing care), with my brother and sister, wife and sister-in-law around regularly, are mostly 12" to 13", with one long 17" one. I also wear them out and about shopping, restaurants, the subway, etc here in suburban Maryland and in DC. I'm skirted almost full-time; I put on shorts for church, but I'm not sure I need to. I'm 5' 3" and a 12" skirt is about 2.5" above the top of my kneecap.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am about the same height as Jim....Top of the kneecap is a safe height for a "man in skirts " ..... School girls uniform regs are often no more
than four inches above the Knee.......Some designs of skirt are more uncontrollable in a wind or when the wearer is bending over.

Generally I wear my skirt hems below the Knee. ....I then have plenty of skirt hem to sit on when I am seated with bare legs......
It is easy to buy a shorter skirt and then find it is uncomfortable to wear.....The female has bigger hips and thieghs than the male ....
so her skirt is a different fit on her form....Skirts in an elasticated material sometimes work for the male

He can never tell until he tries a skirt on in a shop. Best of luck. ................. weeladdie
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

weeladdie18 wrote:I am about the same height as Jim....Top of the kneecap is a safe height for a "man in skirts " ..... School girls uniform regs are often no more
than four inches above the Knee.......Some designs of skirt are more uncontrollable in a wind or when the wearer is bending over.

Generally I wear my skirt hems below the Knee. ....I then have plenty of skirt hem to sit on when I am seated with bare legs......
It is easy to buy a shorter skirt and then find it is uncomfortable to wear.....The female has bigger hips and thieghs than the male ....
so her skirt is a different fit on her form....Skirts in an elasticated material sometimes work for the male

He can never tell until he tries a skirt on in a shop. Best of luck. ................. weeladdie
Shortest I've gone is 21 inches. Again I prefer pencil cut as the skirt is tighter and less likely to blow up on a breezy day. Generally it's knee length (with a generous rear vent) or just below. Longest skirt is 27 inches which is better for winter 8)
vendeebeaches

Post by vendeebeaches »

I've got an 11" denim mini which I have worn recently which i would equate to the same sort of length to wearing shortish shorts but a lot more comfortable. I posted pictures of it and a couple of others a few weeks ago in the following thread. I'm about 5'6".
http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 26#p185256
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I'm 5" 11' and 24" is my max, 17" my min, and 18-20" my preferred.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I'm about the same size as beachlion, 5'10" and a bit over 11 stone. I know I've read before how short many of you wear your skirts, but these threads always leave me a bit :o . I would feel naked in 14". My rule is that my skirts must be longer than they are wide, laid flat, so over 16". I have a couple of 16.5s but I haven't worn them for ages. I have a load of 17s but they are for the colder months* with tights. Bare legged, it's 18" or more. Longest I generally go to is 24", though the 37s do still occasionally see the light of day.

*August to May.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I’m 18” - 21”. Never any shorter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:My rule is that my skirts must be longer than they are wide, laid flat, so over 16".
I'm pretty much the same way, but for me the practical limit of "longer than wider" is about 17". I have gone shorter, but not much, in the past, but my usual is much longer.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

I go from 21" down to 13" which is about as short as I can go without having stuff stick out the bottom.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

5'7" here. Shortest I go with is about 16-17", which is about mid-thigh on me. That's with a skirt worn at the traditional waist, not on the hips. Longest I will wear is about 21", but I prefer to keep the length somewhere between 18-19" long, otherwise, the hem is rubbing the back of the knee joint area. For a dress (one without shoulder straps), 29-30" total length is about right. Add about 4-6" if straps are used or it's a shirtdress. Keeps the hem about 1" above the knee. If the skirts/dresses were pencil/bodycon, etc, they'd probably be a bit longer on me, and I'd be looking more for something that was a couple inches shorter, range-wise. But, since 90% of my stuff is rather full, I can't really go any shorter without being worried about stuff showing if I'm sitting.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo