The featured song for today

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The featured song for today

Post by Caultron »

Kirbstone wrote:Aw, 'Music' is just a lot of noises. One note sounds like the next and they're all the same, just louder or quieter...
So, the Hallejulia Chorus on pipe organ and AC/DC sound the same to you?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
beachlion wrote:For music we are quite alike. For me it is a little more old style New Orleans, big bands and Dixieland and less country and western. And for the fun Spike Jones. ;)
There is no other person who could massacre the music as he could. I always love his William Tell Overture. I used to watch him on the telly and would sit and be mesmerized.

Fred
I feel ABBA and Spike Jones are from different planets. My favorites are his "enhanced" versions of the sentimental songs of the 40s.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Curiously, the Halleluia Chorus as its name implies has people standing near said pipe organ, croaking. As a life-long chorister (treble and tenor) and having run an SATB choir myself for a dozen years I have in that time banked some useful knowledge about croaking.

AC/DC remains firmly will below my personal radar and I cannot begin to comment on it.

I have a good musical friend who has in his repertoire a very enjoyable rendition of 'The Boxer' and when he gets to the bit where the trumpet plays I fill that part in on a low Whistle.
K19.jpg
Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Fred in Skirts wrote: [ Spike Jones. ]
There is no other person who could massacre the music as he could.
I was surprised to find a record by Charles Prentice that pre-dated Spike Jones by about 10 years; he was doing much the same thing with a full orchestra but with a distinctly British flavour.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:AC/DC remains firmly will below my personal radar [...]
AC/DC "below the RADAR"? How's that possible? Think in terms of Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (or the hilarious Wierd Al Yankovic takeoff, Dirty Deeds Done WIth Sheep).

How about Emerson Lake and Palmer's rendition of Aaron Copeland's Fanfare for the Common Man (which the original composer lived to hear and actually liked)?
Kirbstone wrote:I have a good musical friend who has in his repertoire a very enjoyable rendition of 'The Boxer' and when he gets to the bit where the trumpet plays I fill that part in on a low Whistle.
Simon and Garfunkel's The Boxer has always been a favourite of mine and seldom fails to bring tears. In that category is also The Sound of Silence which is just magical. Simon is a masterful writer and the pair of them together were just sublime. Speaking of The Sound of Silence, a group called "Disturbed" did a remarkable re-interpretation of the piece a while ago that's very different and much darker but is very enjoyable and stands on its own.

For more "period" work, I still have a very soft spot for ELO, and for way back it's just about impossible to beat J.S. Bach, who could thump organ like nobody else.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:How about Emerson Lake and Palmer's rendition of Aaron Copeland's Fanfare for the Common Man (which the original composer lived to hear and actually liked)?
Back many moons ago, I used to have a little hobby of collecting record albums, LP's 10 inchers, and 45's. It started from a small stack of record albums I inherited from my mother. I'd visit Happy's Flea Market in Roanoke almost weekly and purchase about $50 worth of records ($2 each).

Among those records inherited was an Emerson Lake and Palmer record. Now as the music on these vinyl disc were before my time, many of them I played for the first time.. when I got to this track, I couldn't help but turn up the bass, volume, and serenade my neighbors for a bit... :D

My other hobby was webcasting my record collection (legally). My little webcasting station was known as "BeanJelly Radio", and was mostly freeform, though towards the end I gravitated to a little under-served niche of vintage swing, jazz, hillbilly, and folk music recorded from the early 20th century to the mid 50's. Almost all of the material I webcasted was ripped straight from the old 10 inch shellac records. At one time, I had close to a thousand shellac records, plus several hundred LP's boxes of 45's, cassette tapes, a few 8 tracks, and of course, CD's.

Below is one "wall" of music, more were in the closet space:

Sadly, all that remains now is a small pile of records, maybe totaling 10 or so. I parted with a lot of my possessions when we moved. Hauling crates and crates of heavy shellac records takes it toll on your back, and we were just moving too often. Had I known we were going to settle into a place of our own so quickly I would have held on to them as I miss having the collection now.

As for my music of choice, it varies depending on my mood. On the O.P. I've had a few ABBA albums. I tend to go along with Caultron, much of it was a little too... "bubble-gummy" for me, though I did take a liking to "Knowing me, knowing you", and it got a few plays on BeanJelly Radio before it went pre-WWII.

Probably some of my favorite performers of the 70's era would be, anything from Harry Chapin, with "What Made America Famous" coming in at my favorite from him, "Shooting Star" moved me quite a bit, as it for a time somewhat described my relationship with Jenn, "WOLD" had a nice story, "Six String Orchestra" I thought was funny, and of course, like everyone, I enjoyed "Cats in the Cradle".

My first favorites from the decade was probably Crosby Stills and Nash (and Young), I know all the words to 'Woodstock" and sing it often in the van. :lol: I like a lot of the deep cuts from Cat Stevens. You may be surprised, but "Moon Shadow" doesn't excite me much. Not that it's a bad song, I guess I felt it had too many plays when I was younger and I just got tired of it.

On the all, I enjoy almost all kind of music. My most listened to genres are: Mountain folk music, bluegrass, country from the 80's and 90's, alternative from the 90's to present day, classic rock, just about anything from the 80's, 70's music that told stories (like Harry Chapin), 50's and 60's "oldies", swing, jazz, vintage hillbilly, old hymns played with simple instruments like banjo's, simple pianos, etc [0], instrumental music from people like Brian Crain --- (I've entertained my neighbors to Brian Crain on many-a-Sunday afternoons)

Types of DON'T like, "pretty boy" music (I.E. Nsync), Brittany Spears type of music, vulgar and crass stuff, music about gang banging, cop killing, uses the "F" word a lot, modern "country", anything that sounds "cheap", music that's just political propaganda to a rhythm.

For some fun "male skirt wearing songs", I might suggest the following:

Aerosmith - Dude (Looks Like A Lady)

Lola by the Kinks (though in all fairness, this is more for the "transgender/crossdresser" type...)

Weezer - Pork And Beans

James - Laid

[0] Some may be slightly surprised by that, however I have very fond childhood memories of walking into little country churches with basic piano music playing hymns while you found your seat, sometimes we'd be treated to some pickin too, those were always good services. Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed the "church experience" before I grew into an adult and "neo-cons" systematically destroyed American spirituality.... :|
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

How neat Moon!! I enjoyed radio when I worked in it. It was thirty years ago, however. We played mostly bluegrass since the owners had played with Flatt and Scruggs. Today I have the song "If you're going to San Francisco" stuck in my head.
Last edited by Freedomforall on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:[...]Now as the music on these vinyl disc were before my time, many of them I played for the first time.. when I got to this track, I couldn't help but turn up the bass, volume, and serenade my neighbors for a bit... :D
If that was your introduction to the power and majesty of pipe organs -- the King of Instruments -- I can see why you did so. Bear in mind, though, that the form was fully mature and stable when J.S. Bach was playing them in the early 1700s. Sure, some knobs have been added -- like electric action (which Al and I snargle about incessantly in private) -- but the principle remains the same. I love the things and cannot get enough of 'em.

Here's a couple of mine:
  • The finale to Saint Saens' Symphony 3 (although my "reference work" is this performance)
  • Abide With Me performed on one of the most complex instruments ever constructed -- in a hall large enough to fly a full-sized helicopter in. Turn this up -- it demands it -- and it will raise the rafters. (BTDT)
Bless the soul who first devised such a magnificent instrument!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Moon and Carl we just spent the last hour listening to you mentioned songs.

Thank you
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

What a great post, Moon! That took a bit of putting together. Pity your many moved decimated your once-proud record collection. Many of thos woud fetch serious money today, with the amazing resurgence in the sale & use of record players, vinyls &c. Shellacs are problematic, though.

Thanks also Carl, for your links Like FFA, listening to them all has been quite an entertainment.

Ah but for tone-deffers like me it's all just words. :P

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, whilst I never ever had as many albums as you, when the CD entered the arena I didn't discard my vinyls. I still have them all and play them. My hearing isn't the best as my diabetes has affected the little capillaries in the inner ear and rendered me mostly deaf. With hearing aids I can manage but I will never be able to appreciate the nuances and subtleties ever again. That being said, as we live in a detached house I can turn the wick up as much as I like [0] without complaint from the neighbours! "Brain Salad Surgery" by ELP at extended volume is delightful. We have a Johnny Cash L.P. of gospel music such as "Swing, Low Sweet Chariot" and "Are All the Children In?" which is a favourite of ours.

[0] Particularly when MOH is out.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

When I moved to the US it was for a 3-5 year assignment. During this time a lot of my UK stuff (such as books and cd's) were put in storage. Now I'm staying out here on a longer term basis my company stopped paying for the storage. Left with the prospect of picking up a hefty bill, I decided to turn a whole load of books, cd's and other stuff over to the charity shops. Pretty much everything I listen to can be found on Spotify and if I do get a need to re-watch a film I can usually stream it via Amazon. Not so bothered about the loss of the cd's but I'm sure I'll miss some of the films at some point in the future.

At my place in the UK I had a home cinema room with a half-decent set of speakers. I used to love listening (in a darkened room) end to end to Dark Side of the Moon on SACD to get the full original quadrophonic mix.

My suggestion for a piece of music to try is When in Rome by Penguin Cafe Orchestra. UK skirters may be familiar with some of the tracks that have been used as part of tv advertising campaigns.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:Here's a couple of mine:

The finale to Saint Saens' Symphony 3 (although my "reference work" is this performance)
Abide With Me performed on one of the most complex instruments ever constructed -- in a hall large enough to fly a full-sized helicopter in. Turn this up -- it demands it -- and it will raise the rafters. (BTDT)
What a most beautiful piece of music Carl! I sat on the edge of the bed and listened to both last night, quite a number of times I felt the chill go down my spine. As it was late (very late) I listened to it on headphones, but my headphones are "sound canceling" and do a good job with sound. That being said I plan to get it on the slightly larger system perhaps today (Sunday).

If nothing else, I'll entertain some motorist later this week at traffic lights... :D

On a different note (no pun intended), there is this music video from OK Go. Watch and be amazed! The song itself isn't bad, but this elaborate set up certainly took a few tries to get right, especially when you get to the part where the TV is smashed. Note the stack of already smashed TV's sitting in the corner...!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Carl - good to see another ELO fan. I saw them play Wembley Stadium in London last year; it was a joyous singalong with 60,000 fans. Not bad for a (then) 69 year old singer/songwriter.

ABBA? Magnificent. Again, Carl, I’m in agreement with you. The last two albums were superb but for me, my favourite is Arrival. I recently bought Benny Andersson’s “Piano”, released by Deutsche Grammophon, which comprised a selection of ABBA (and Chess/solo) songs performed solo on piano. The songs, stripped of bubble gum, show their Bach influenced beauty.

I love music. I’ve got 2000 or more albums, and I have invested heavily in a very good hifi to play music.

Not a fan of R&B, hate rap, techno, country (alt-Country is okay though) and the current vogue for whining boys and hiccuping girls.

Love rock (AC/DC, Rainbow, Nightwish, Magnum) and it’s softer cousin, AOR (Toto, Foreigner, Heart, Asia, Journey) - and adore Mike Oldfield (I have all of his albums, and have seen him perform at Edinburgh Castle and also London (Horseguards Parade)

Respect but not love for Simon and Garfunkel - but some of their songs are creations of sublime beauty.

Love
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote:[...] and adore Mike Oldfield (I have all of his albums, and have seen him perform at Edinburgh Castle and also London (Horseguards Parade)
Oh, ho! Another Oldfield fan. Somehow, given this crowd I'm not particularly surprised.

I've been a hardcore Oldfield fan since his original foray with Tubular Bells and saw him perform during his Platinum tour in the early '80s at Boston's Berklee Performance Center (an acoustically superb venue where I was sat just behind the out-front mixing-board).

I'm also a fervent fan of Tangerine Dream (whose founder sadly passed a few years ago) and saw them at Boston's Orpheum Theatre during their Underwater Sunlight tour. Genius. Their treatment of the classical repertoire is magnificent, especially the Largo from Handel's Xerxes.

I wish I still had the superb hi-fi I had a few years ago but, sadly, don't have the space to properly deploy it again and the speakers are now pretty sad. Eight drivers and a flat frequency response from about 15 HZ to somewhere over 20 kHz. Playing the cut of Abide With Me one could watch the woofers moving when the 64' organ register came into play -- not to mention feeling it! This thing was so accurate that not only could I trivially tell the difference between a pure digital stream and an MP3 stream, but could also identify individual MP3 encoders by their sound and compression-decisions. Lost in the fallout of 2015 with most of the components in storage-lockers.