Traveling skirted

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
kidme

Re: Traveling skirted

Post by kidme »

@SFO last Friday, about to board the red eye flight to Singapore.
Uneventful, except some teen-girls commenting “that’s weird” when I walk pass them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

kidme wrote:@SFO last Friday, about to board the red eye flight to Singapore.
Uneventful, except some teen-girls commenting “that’s weird” when I walk pass them.
Don't worry about the teens :roll: my only observation is your top obscures your skirt, it would be nice to see what it really looks like :)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Indeed, some of the nastiest comments I've ever received were from teenage girls.

I'm not sure what makes them this way, I guess they just figure they're the final say on all things social, and for what it's worth, the world does seem to eat out of their hand.... :roll:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Indeed, some of the nastiest comments I've ever received were from teenage girls.

I'm not sure what makes them this way [...]
Let's see... No proper upbringing, an absolute lack of ethics, immaturity, absolute safety... Yep, I'd say that's a pretty toxic brew.

Know this: When they reach your age most of the youthful beauty will be gone -- and recall that whilst beauty is but skin deep, ugly goes straight to the bone. Guys, if they're fortunate, take on a patina of distinguish as they age; sadly, the gals mostly get haggard (or overdo plastic surgery). I'm not sure if that's sad or "just desserts".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:Let's see... No proper upbringing, an absolute lack of ethics, immaturity, absolute safety...
The last part caps it nicely. It's easy to be an asshole when you live in a consequence free environment, with scores of other people willing to move mountains just for a glimpse of the girls "pretty" face...

It's entirely overrated.

There are a few nice teenage girls out there. Just not many that I've seen. Among the "nicer" ones, also happen to be the ones that are not a "perfect 10". 'magine that!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:There are a few nice teenage girls out there.
Indeed, and know that I was not tarring and feathering all teenage girls with my statement. Sadly, however, the portion that do deserve the treatment seem to be in the majority. More sadly, the chance to interact with the ones of decent upbringing seems to be small because they tend to keep to themselves, or at least don't put on big productions so they tend to fade into the woodwork.

Personally, I happen to like living in a dangerous world. It makes me pay attention. Others might take the same cue; it might save their bacon at some point in the future -- the gals included.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
kidme

Post by kidme »

kilty wrote:
kidme wrote:@SFO last Friday, about to board the red eye flight to Singapore.
Don't worry about the teens :roll: my only observation is your top obscures your skirt, it would be nice to see what it really looks like :)
It is a triathlete skirt from running-skirts.com. It was a quick selfie before I join the boarding group queue, thus have the sweater on.

Yeah, the teens are nothing to be concerned about.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:Indeed, some of the nastiest comments I've ever received were from teenage girls.

I'm not sure what makes them this way...
They're at that point in life where they need to break the shackles of childhood and assert their independence.

So they act like childish brats.

Forgive them, they're new at this sort of thing.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

And some never exit that phase!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Many never get beyond being "LITTLE BITCHES". The nicest comments I have received came from young women who were about an 6 or 7 on the 10 scale. They were the nicest overall in many ways.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

I'm just back from the south of France with my wife after a long, hot homeward journey to England by boat, bus, rail, airport bus and air, with lengthy queuing and mixing with the public at most of the interchanges. My Skirtcraft skirt (very practical for travel because of secure pockets for passports, tickets, etc.) seemed to attract no attention at all, except from one young man who was hawking newspapers in aid of the homeless at Marseille Saint Charles station. He made some remark that we didn't fully catch, but it sounded approving and he was smiling.

While over there, most evenings I wore a Hiatus kilt (a skirt, really - style 'Cow-Boy') -- it's light, really comfortable and has useful, deep pockets. If challenged, I was ready to respond with an unanswerable appeal to national pride by saying that it was an authentic French kilt. This happened only once, when a very alluring Frenchwoman was sitting next to me in a restaurant. Of course I enjoyed explaining it to her and she seemed most interested, but told me that her man, who was beside her, wasn't quite ready for one yet.

I get the impression that news and TV coverage in France, and probably the efforts of the Association Hommes en Jupe, have done a lot to introduce people to the notion of skirted men -- and while we may still look a a little unusual, nothing bad seems to happen.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

geron wrote:...I get the impression that news and TV coverage in France, and probably the efforts of the Association Hommes en Jupe, have done a lot to introduce people to the notion of skirted men -- and while we may still look a a little unusual, nothing bad seems to happen.
I'm not sure how many people ever see specific men-in-skirts publicity, but surely the general trend toward broader gender and sexual acceptance has helped our cause.

And yes, I've found too that while some people will notice our unusual choice of clothes, the worst that happens is a shrug and an, "Oh well."
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

Have travelled by both bus and train recently while wearing a skirt. No comments made by anyone.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Eborian wrote:Have travelled by both bus and train recently while wearing a skirt. No comments made by anyone.
Good going!

After all, why should reactions on a train or bus be different from anywhere else?

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just got home from a day trip into New York City. My son lives there and I went in to have lunch with him. I wore short boots tights and an above the knee denim skirt. It was almost cold so I had a shirt and jacket.

Going in was a one hour ride on a commuter train on the LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD. it was sunny so I skipped the subway and walked across town . The total distance I covered was about a mile and a half straight across the heart of the city . I walked passed the empire State building .

It felt great I wasn't worried that I was getting looks I stayed right in the middle of the pedestrian traffic.

I did hear comments from two groups of guys who were tourists . The first was" hey did you see that guy he is wearing a skirt". The second was" look at what that dude is wearing". I am not sure but I think they took a couple of pictures. I felt so good that if they asked I would have stopped and posed.

I had as rough a start at wearing skirts in public as anybody else on the cafe. I am just happy that I reached a level of confidence that I could do this.