Singapore

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Singapore

Post by Big and Bashful »

Tonight I am in Singapore, in my bag there is a sarong and an elkommando kilt (I need to lose weight for that one!). In the privacy of the hotel room I am wearing a simple light pocketed a line skirt, brilliant for lounging around. Problem is that this is Singapore, humidity so high you can taste and smell the water in the air and well over 30 celcius, erm, loads of farenheits! A place made for loose garments, so many women and girls in loose, flowy clothing looking so comfortable and a lot of sweaty men. In Singapore there are a lot of rules, rules about allsorts, chewing gum is banned and you will be arrested if you have any or spit it out, shorts are not allowed in many places such as restaurants, cafes and I am not sure where else in public, death sentence for smugglers, arrest for jay-walking etc. So obey the rules, since shorts are banned in many places I daren’t risk wearing a skirt in public. I think even the kilt might be frowned upon because of exposed leggage.
Anyone had the nerve in Singapore to get comfortable? I haven’t even seen any man wearing a sarong, I had thought they might have been a popular choice in this climate. Still, air conditioning makes the climate bearable! And wish I could trust my sarong tying!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Singapore

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Big and Bashful wrote:Tonight I am in Singapore. In Singapore there are a lot of rules, rules about allsorts, chewing gum is banned and you will be arrested if you have any or spit it out, shorts are not allowed in many places such as restaurants, cafes and I am not sure where else in public, death sentence for smugglers, arrest for jay-walking etc. So obey the rules, since shorts are banned in many places I daren’t risk wearing a skirt in public. I think even the kilt might be frowned upon because of exposed leggage.
:Rulz:
My advice get out quick before you break one of the stupid laws and get arrested. I would not go to places like that if I knew the place was run by crazies!!! :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

I think Singapore has got a lot right, very low crime rate, no litter at all, very pleasent place in many ways, I agree with the ban on chewing gum as well, gum stuck to the pavement then your shoes can make a mess and if you can’t trust people to discard it sensibly, why not ban it? I also think drug smugglers deserve everything they get here.

However, this dress code for males, me no like! So hot, so humid, so why not allow suitable clothing? Even if it was only traditional tropical lungi/sarong type wraps?

Oh well, tomorrows flight is also a no shorts zone so I best keep sticking my legs into sweaty tubes!
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

I was in Singapore last year for a day I stayed in a hotel over night .There was a mall next to the hotel i walked around wearing a denim skirt .I was looking for a place to eat but i am a fussy eater so ended up eating at McDonalds .I had a browse of some shops no one really paid any attention to me .
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:I think Singapore has got a lot right, very low crime rate, no litter at all, very pleasent place in many ways,
That was the impression that my late ex- came back from the place with. She was there in the early '80s and mentioned that you could set your watch by the afternoon rains -- and that those rains did precisely nothing about the pervasive humidity.

I don't recall any commentary about men's clothing styles, but then again when we last chatted about it I hadn't yet discovered the joys of skirts.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

eightofnine wrote:...... .I was looking for a place to eat but i am a fussy eater so ended up eating at McDonalds .......
Something sounds not right to me. I'm a fussy eater too but you don't see me in a McDonalds. ;) The only good thing is they don't have bones in their meats.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

beachlion wrote:
eightofnine wrote:...... .I was looking for a place to eat but i am a fussy eater so ended up eating at McDonalds .......
Something sounds not right to me. I'm a fussy eater too but you don't see me in a McDonalds. ;) The only good thing is they don't have bones in their meats.
well i don't really like Asian food so it was really mcdonalds or nothing
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

eightofnine wrote:........well i don't really like Asian food so it was really mcdonalds or nothing
I'm from the Netherlands and I love the food of our former colony Indonesia. A lot of Indonesian people came to the Netherlands after Indonesia became independent, especially to my hometown The Hague. So we had a lot of good Indonesian restaurants. I have not found a reasonable Indonesian restaurant in the USA. There are two in nearby Philadelphia but they are a far cry from the ones in the Netherlands. I miss it a lot.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants ... vince.html
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

You should just about be ok in a kilt looking at this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pwlW-uWIsBQ

There's a second clip that isn't quite so positive https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYVQW4j9QYk especially from the foreigners
thoth51

Post by thoth51 »

SkirtsDad wrote:You should just about be ok in a kilt looking at this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pwlW-uWIsBQ

There's a second clip that isn't quite so positive https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYVQW4j9QYk especially from the foreigners
Yeah that's me in the video.
I think you're letting your perceptions get the better of you. Shorts disallowed in restaurants? I'm sure some restaurants have dress codes where you're from? They are definitely not banned by law in public. Jaywalkers may be ticketed but are not arrested. The death sentence one is true of drug smugglers but not smuggling in general so let's not blow things out of proportion. I think the worst that could've happened is that you get some strange looks or sniggers but I'm sure we've all been through that regardless of where we're from. If anything foreigners will get more of a pass when they dress differently.

Wear your kilt or skirt in Singapore! I do. No one's going to care.
kidme

Post by kidme »

Unless your are in a very high end expensive hotel or restaurant, shorts are pretty much the norm.. and accepted everywhere. Shorts are not acceptable as business attire too, other than that, it is definitely acceptable. Despite being an Asian country, Singapore is very internationalised due to the number of foreigners living and working here. So it is weird that one cannot find a non-Asian food (not fast food), just walk into any malls.

Man skirts are not a norm, not even sarongs, just like thoth51 mentioned, I think I only saw 3 so far - one of which I am sure was thoth51 in his kilt. However, many of my shorts looks just like skirts, everyone just ignore. Though some will snicker whiles others will frown and keep a distance.

I normally only wears mine around my neighborhood when my dog needs to take a quick leak, though I did once flew back from US in a skirt, remained in it (through airport, taxi) till I got home.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Big and Bashful » Sun May 27, 2018 7:54 am

Tonight I am in Singapore, in my bag there is a sarong and an elkommando kilt ....
So obey the rules, since shorts are banned in many places I daren’t risk wearing a skirt in public. I think even the kilt might be frowned upon because of exposed leggage.
Anyone had the nerve in Singapore to get comfortable? I haven’t even seen any man wearing a sarong, I had thought they might have been a popular choice in this climate. Still, air conditioning makes the climate bearable! And wish I could trust my sarong tying!
Hola Big and Bashful, I was scanning old posts for another topic and saw this -- leads to me wonder how many other places/countries may or may not have rules about attire by gender. Maybe I'll start a thread on that -- however, with regard to Singapore, we were last there in April of 2017 for 10 days, about our only time there other than passing through the airport, and it was not a well planned trip as we needed out of Thailand for a visa break and took a last minute pet-sitting assignment -- but in the week we were there, I was no doubt in a skirt, most if not all of the time -- and never any comment or notice. This included a couple of days at one of the Swankier hotels upon arrival; use of taxi and bus services; several long walks, shopping and mall visits as well as attending a Meeting for Worship with some "Friends" in a large residential apt. complex. I didn't consider if there were rules pertaining to my attire, but if there were -- I incurred nothing of alarm and certainly had hundreds of people including the occasional police person about.

Anyway: Shall we start a list of travel experiences...specific countries, places we've been ignored, noticed, or had any kind of rules imposed? Personally, I have worn skirts quite freely in Canada, US, AU, NZ, Thailand, Cambodia, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua, Uruguay, Argentina, Peru, Ecuador, Tahiti, & Tonga. I've worn them less extensively in some other countries, particularly in the Caribbean in more youthful days before I took to skirts most of the time so I cannot comment on reception in those places...but in recent years we've been to quite a few southern hemisphere countries with no overt consequences.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

You must have had to blow the dust of that post! Very interesting reply, looks like I will be repeating that trip once or twice this year, via Bahrain though, not a tolerant culture!
kidme

Post by kidme »

I am out and about in skirts and blouses a lot in Singapore - a local;I also uses a dress as a beach cover-up every weekend when i hwad for my openwater swims. People are generally a lot more tolerant in this century, as 20% of the residents today in Singapore are foreigners. We are used to many imported cultures. As long as the person is not exposing themselves indecently or creating any public nuisance, it is ok. Point to note, I present myself as a man, just like most in this forum.

Of course, there are occasional people who will stare or laugh , it is pretty much the same in many cities I went (US/Europe)

Thus, don’t worry if you are here, as long as decency is maintained.