Where did you first get the idea to wear a skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where did you first get the idea to wear a skirt?

Post by Grok »

I like the look of cheerleader skirts too, but now know that they are shorter than what I care to wear in public.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have just reread the entire thread...This is an interesting story as to how we all became interested the idea of wearing a skirt.
Generally speaking we have gained confidence with our increased knowledge and experience in our own local environment.
If any newer member has any particular query , I would suggest that they would do well to ask a specific question on their own new thread.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Grok wrote:I like the look of cheerleader skirts too, but now know that they are shorter than what I care to wear in public.
I have a full skater style skirt in black which is just below my knee cap and is a safe length for my advancing years.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Freefrom wrote:
moonshadow wrote:All,

As the title says, I'm interested to know where you all first got the idea to wear a skirt.
No firm memory really; I am aware that I have always been envious, as apposed to jealous, that my female friends and relations could wear what they wanted to. Colours, fabric, style; the world is their oyster. They could look good and felt confident, I was stuck with drab, unisex, men stuff.

There are times, for instance when I'm lying under a truck fixing the transmission and heavy cotton trousers are the most practical and modest solution. Walking about on a summer evening with fresh air flowing about my thighs whilst wearing a skirt is another practical and enjoyable solution. I call to question that evolution did not design a gentleman's personal area to be permanently constrained in a clothed confined space?

Without actively seeking girly colours, fabric, style. I'm beginning to find the solution. :)
Plenty of light summer weight skirts in the English charity shops . Usually four or five in every town. Flared skirts with elastic waist bands. Some in plain colours.
Most charity shops have their own fitting room...If you have time to do four shops in one town in an hour, one might find a bargain skirt for five pounds.
Also a good source of reference books.
I am just down the road from you between Falmouth and Penzance...Still Devon and Cornwall are large Counties .
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Grok wrote:I like the look of cheerleader skirts too, but now know that they are shorter than what I care to wear in public.
I previously shared the Genesis of my skirt wearing
When I was rather young.

Me too, I haven't had time to add it to the dream outfits thread, but that is another dream outfit of mine. Is to have one of my old high school cheerleading uniforms in my size. In general uniform colors are amazing bright and vivid.

I think I have wanted a uniform ever since middle school I would love to have one, wear one in private. But would want to be found dead in one.
I definitely would not do the outfit any justice.
I lack the body or looks to properly wear one.
Picture a hippopotamus in a Tutu, yea that's what it would probably look like.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

mishawakaskirt wrote:
Me too, I haven't had time to add it to the dream outfits thread, but that is another dream outfit of mine. Is to have one of my old high school cheerleading uniforms in my size.

I get cognitive dissonance when I think about this. Because I associate these uniforms with a young demographic group. I would look too old (I am 62). Actually, I think I would experience dissonance if I saw older women in these outfits.
MyZen

Post by MyZen »

Grok wrote:
mishawakaskirt wrote:
Me too, I haven't had time to add it to the dream outfits thread, but that is another dream outfit of mine. Is to have one of my old high school cheerleading uniforms in my size.

I get cognitive dissonance when I think about this. Because I associate these uniforms with a young demographic group. I would look too old (I am 62). Actually, I think I would experience dissonance if I saw older women in these outfits.
Have you encountered Hideaki Kobayashi / "Sailor Suit Old Man" ?