Euphemisms and Acronyms

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
VoxClamantis

Euphemisms and Acronyms

Post by VoxClamantis »

So I was thinking that the forum members have probably developed a broad vocabulary of euphemisms and acronyms for their skirts. Two that come across elsewhere are R.U.G. (Repurposed Unbifurcated Garment) and M.U.G. (Male Unbifurcated Garment).

What other euphemisms and acronyms have members come up with?
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Euphemisms and Acronyms

Post by beachlion »

What about calling a skirt a kilt because some people can not get their minds into the idea a male can wear a skirt as well.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

VoxClamantis wrote:So I was thinking that the forum members have probably developed a broad vocabulary of euphemisms and acronyms for their skirts. Two that come across elsewhere are R.U.G. (Repurposed Unbifurcated Garment) and M.U.G. (Male Unbifurcated Garment).

What other euphemisms and acronyms have members come up with?
I've considered Single Leg-hole Garment (pronounced "slog"), but neither Double Leg-hole Garment, Two Leg-hole Garment, nor Multi Leg-hole Garment has a pronouncable acronym so I never pushed it.

So I just call kilts kilts and everything else skirts.

I mean, when somebody asks you, "Why are you wearing a skirt?" they're not going to be impressed if you answer, "It's not a skirt, it's a repurposed unbifurcated garment."

I just tell 'em I'm a nutcase. Or that one good thing about being an old man is that you get to be a crazy old man.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Actually I have gone the other way and call a skirt a skirt. I unashameably refer to my garments as mini skirts. When visiting friends and was unexpectedly invited to go out to a restaurant with them I asked "Will I be OK in my mini skirt". The female member of the partnership replied "Yes that will be fine, I will be wearing pants and you can wear a skirt".
I just can't imagine referring to a skirt as a Male Unbifurcated Garment, unipant, femur funnel or sartorial sleeve.
beachlion wrote:What about calling a skirt a kilt because some people can not get their minds into the idea a male can wear a skirt as well.
So true, if you are shy about calling it a skirt then call it a kilt as people seem to accept almost anything on a male as a kilt. I have recently refrained from correcting people who refer to my denim mini skirt as a kilt as they then become awkward and embarrassed when I tell them it is a mini skirt. I now say "Yes, it is a bit like a kilt".
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
VoxClamantis

Post by VoxClamantis »

Caultron wrote:So I just call kilts kilts and everything else skirts.

I mean, when somebody asks you, "Why are you wearing a skirt?" they're not going to be impressed if you answer, "It's not a skirt, it's a repurposed unbifurcated garment."
Agreed, direct is best. I was once asked by a friendly cop where I obtained a kilt. I replied that it was not a kilt but simply a skirt (but in his defense, it was an forest green cargo skirt, so I give him the benefit of the doubt as to presuming it to be a kilt). I was also asked by a black man if I was wearing a "quiche" to which I again replied that it was simply a skirt.

What I would like to say, though, is "no, it's just a skirt, but I like to think of it as a ________." I'd then give my interlocutor a wink, a smile, a chuckle, and move on. I'm just looking for something that adds humor and levity, as well as a nice coinage for use on this forum--just so there could be an all-encompassing umbrella term for skirts, kilts, tunics, etc.
VoxClamantis

Post by VoxClamantis »

denimini wrote:unipant, femur funnel or sartorial sleeve.
LOL <3 that masterful wit.

And agreed, I call my skirts, "skirts" but see previous reply to Caultron.
Last edited by VoxClamantis on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VoxClamantis

Post by VoxClamantis »

beachlion wrote:What about calling a skirt a kilt because some people can not get their minds into the idea a male can wear a skirt as well.
Understood and agreed to an extent (see reply to Caultron). At least for me, part of my mission is to open one mind at a time, and that is best done by provoking the interlocutor to ponder societal norms in the context of gender equality. Confidently reaffirming a skirt as a skirt underscores the point that the garment has nothing to do with sex and/or gender any more than when women first started wearing pants in the workplace several decades ago. True, then called them "slacks" for a while to try to bridge the societal incongruence, but eventually we pretty much abandoned "slacks" in favor of the unifying "pant(s)." So your idea of using "kilt" to help bridge the cognitive gap has a lot of merit and sound reasoning....it's just not the effect I'm looking for. However, you have made me realize that I might be overly optimistic in thinking that every mind can be opened with dialogue. So in the future I might endeavor to judge whether the education of my interlocutor is better served by reaffirming my garment as a skirt or by casting it as a kilt. So good point beachlion.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

VoxClamantis wrote:So in the future I might endeavor to judge whether the education of my interlocutor is better served by reaffirming my garment as a skirt or by casting it as a kilt. So good point beachlion.
The main problems here is that kilts are a very specific type of skirted garment, they have an extant culture around them, and certain expectations about how they're worn and, to a lesser extent, who can wear them. So, calling a skirt a kilt is at best going to muddy the waters somewhat, and at the worst is going to enrage the hard-core kilt-wearer.

I see no advantage -- tactical or strategic -- to saying that a skirt is anything other than a skirt, in the same way as calling a spade a spade is proper language, and calling it a shovel is simply ignorant. Men are typically expected to be honest and up-front about matters. Why should this matter be any different?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I think I was not clear enough so I like to rephrase.

What about other people calling a skirt a kilt because some people they can not get their minds into the idea a male can wear a skirt as well.

Believe me, I'm better in Dutch.

Personally, I don't give a hoot what other people are thinking of me in a skirt or kilt or about men in skirts/kilts in general. With the exception of my family and friends up to a certain level. I live my life and do as I please within the boundaries of the law.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

As shops put them at times under de heading shorts, why not shorts?
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I have rarely been noticed and have had even fewer questions about what I am wearing. I wear a skirt nearly every day, but outdoors in society once a week when I go hiking. I have been asked what I was wearing only once. Since I was hiking I replied that it is a "hiking kilt" and elaborated about comfort and ventilation. If I am shopping for a skirt I will tell a sales lady that I am looking for a "masculine skirt" so she gets the idea that I am not looking for fluffy or floral designs or shopping for "her." The young lady led me to a camouflage skirt. It helps to define what you are looking for. I might add small talk about wearing a skirt for hiking because of unlimited stride and ventilation, or that I like to pull my skirt up when driving to feel the air conditioning. They agree with those ideas.

I will stick with "skirt" or "hiking skirt." I have a kilt, but have never worn it outside. I think it is too heavy and I am looking for light weight fabric. I would really like to find a wrap skirt because it would be easier to put on or take off while wearing hiking boots. It would also allow even more stride.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Interestingly, most of the time when someone approaches me (in a friendly way) about my skirts... they already KNOW the answer!

The first words out of their mouth is normally something like:

"I bet you're comfortable!" Also it's interesting that it's always women who say this....

... they know... they know....

What can I say? A simple "yep" often does the trick.

When dealing with the guys, I've come to find that doing the little "gagsta" motions, a smirk, and say "that's just how I roll" always seems to get a nod of respect....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
VoxClamantis

Post by VoxClamantis »

moonshadow wrote:Also it's interesting that it's always women who say this....

ROFLMAO
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:...What about other people calling a skirt a kilt because some people they can not get their minds into the idea a male can wear a skirt as well...
If I correct them at all, I just say, "Well, actually it's just a skirt."

But for the most part, as long as they accept it, I don't argue with what they call it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

VoxClamantis wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Also it's interesting that it's always women who say this....

ROFLMAO
They know, and we know, skirts and kilts are very comfortable if you get something practical and not for fashion. Most men will never know how comfortable a kilt or skirt is. It is as if they believe if they don't wear trousers that the ol club and balls are going to fall off and roll away. They are attached better than that. Why does a lack of a little fabric cause so much insecurity?
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.