Slips as shapewear and as undergarments

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
VoxClamantis

Slips as shapewear and as undergarments

Post by VoxClamantis »

Before a censor nazi has a conniption, this thread is not meant to appeal to prurient interest nor to general unwholesomeness, which would be contrary to forum guidelines and policy. Slips are generally sold under the umbrella of shapewear which in turn has an effect on how a skirt hangs on the body so in that regard it is within the scope of the forum policy.

Just as there are gender equality issues with wearing a skirt, so too there are gender equality issues with undergarments. Fetishes aside (which are contrary to forum guidelines), slips do seem appropriate for lighter-weight skirts. But slips also trap heat which is a plus in the cooler months but a negative in the summer months. What parameters and guidelines inform other men's decisions on wearing (or not wearing) a slip? Is it redundant or otherwise undesirable to wear a slip plus more formally-construed "underwear"?

In general, what are other men's feelings on slips?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Slips as shapewear and as undergarments

Post by moonshadow »

I have one I wear for one of two reasons... that being to help tone down a see through skirt (make it less transparent) or to help give a skirt shape.

As far as discussion I don't think anyone will mind discussions aboout slips. We've had quite a few in the past. Additionally discussion about petticoats are nice too. Our master barista is quite a fan of them, as am I.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
VoxClamantis

Post by VoxClamantis »

Petticoat? Surely you don't mean something from old south, hoop-skirt era. Can you clarify?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

VoxClamantis wrote:Petticoat? Surely you don't mean something from old south, hoop-skirt era. Can you clarify?
Yep! You've got it!

The membership here at skirt cafe knows no boundaries when it comes to gender equality in clothing. I myself have a great big ol' hoop petti I get out once in a while. There are a few others too...

We even have a thread about it.... here
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

VoxClamantis wrote:Petticoat? Surely you don't mean something from old south, hoop-skirt era. Can you clarify?
Hoops and crinolines are at one extreme of the spectrum; simple straight nylon ones that hang from the waist are at the other. Most anything in between can be had if one looks carefully enough. Non-hooped full pettis are common in certain forms of dance (e.g. square dance) and may be of contrasting colour to show a bit during turns. Fuller pettis are used to ad body and flare to long skirts, and plain slips are used to combat transmissiveness of light skirts, to control friction between tights and a skirt, to improve the overall "flow" of the outer skirt when in motion, or to help cut down on washing.

There are all sorts of types you see, and each fills a different niche.

In one of my complex neo-Victorian rigs -- especially if it's cold -- the sequence is likely to be loin-girding, tights, a nylon slip to keep the tights from picking on the petticoat, a petticoat proper to provide varying amounts of volume to the main skirt, followed by the skirt proper. All up, a rig like that is good down to about -10 F or so and is vastly warmer than trousers. During the summer, I'm likely to skip the petticoat and tights and go with the slip and main skirt which is much cooler. Sometimes in summer the outer skirt is extremely lightweight (and, therefore, transmissive) so extra opacity is nice to have lest over-active imaginations start making things up.

Better skirts tend to be lined, but even with an attached lining I'm entirely likely to wear a slip (or, if you can't bring yourself to use that term, "underskirt") simply so I can get away with washing the skirts less often. (Some of my large and heavy ones can require a load of their own in my small washer; as a bachelor, I don't need a huge washing machine.)

So, yes, it's all about altering the overall appearance and behaviour of the outer garment.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I tend to by more up-market skirts and most of these are not lined. In summer a slip protects the skirt from sweat and when I wear tights in cooler weather it makes the skirt hang and move better and makes the skirt more pleasant to wear. The way the slip material moves against the skirt varies a lot and getting the right material is vital.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Although... guilty confession alert....

Sometimes, I dig a slightly see-thru skirt on me....

Yes, we all have our scandalous pleasures it seems.... :wink:
-Andrea
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote:Although... guilty confession alert....

Sometimes, I dig a slightly see-thru skirt on me....

Yes, we all have our scandalous pleasures it seems.... :wink:
I hope that is just a turn of phrase and you are not really feeling guilty. I am often looking for the lightest weight skirt for hot weather, which inherently are translucent. I do wear underwear (which I can mention in this context, as it could be argued as being seen) so I am unashamed about any silhouetting. I haven't tried slips as the weather is not conducive for such duplication.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I've always worn support hose, graduating to tights and leggings and combinations thereof in colder weather.

Given the above when I started wearing skirts it was as a prelude to the arrival of my kilts, and in my reading I had come across the statement that some rental places insisted on clients wearing an "under-kilt" for cleanliness. I said..."that's a good idea so I'll wear some kind of "under-skirt."" The concept gained ground when I noticed some skirts clinging to my legwear. Hmmmm. And I also really like the idea of needing to clean the expensive outerwear skirts and kilts less often which seems to help keep them looking good and reducing replacement costs.

Being raised mostly by my mom and her mother, I knew about slips and half-slips and sought to acquire one but found most people looked at me funny when I asked, some even saying "no one wears those any more." I finally found and got a number of half-slips that work quite nicely in keeping my skirts from clinging. I've only one skirt that acts like it would like to become semi-transparent, though. :D

I haven't yet gotten a full slip (or maybe a camisole ?) to wear under a dress. Giving the 'twirliness' of my dresses and their general feel....I'm going to have to give that a try. Hmmm....interjected a Google....the camisole and full slip may have the same effect, though it appears the camisole is only more or less waist length....okay. I'll try to acquire a full slip to see how that works. :shock: <gasp> It could even be a way to acclimate to the idea of wearing something.....frilly.....or even....lacy!!! :shock:

I do have a couple of spandex shapewear items....almost knee-length "under skirts" which I wear once in a while. Hmmmm, actually, more like when I'm "dressing up" or otherwise being more "formal." No reason I can think of other than perhaps because I only wear one of the two items rarely.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Darryl, slips can help to counter static cling as the slip will tend to stick to the body rather than the skirt. I tend to wear a slip under an unlined skirt for that and the other reasons given. I like the feel of the nylon slip and haven't tried cotton ones yet. I would like to try a full slip but being classed as underwear they don't come up very often in the charity shops round our way but I intend to experiment in the near future. I have one or two girdles donated from MOH but I rarely wear them as they are tight and uncomfortable due to their nature. Although I carry a stone or two that I don't need I'm not that big that I really need a girdle except for a couple of pairs of trousers ( remember them? ) and a few skirts that are a bit tight around the waist.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

My better quality dresses and skirts are already lined. My more 'budget' dresses and skirts require either a half-slip of full-slip - especially when wearing sheer tights/pantyhose.

In the UK, I've noticed that M&S offer so-called 'firmwear' full-slips. I suppose that if you have plenty of lumps-and-bumps from top to bottom that these are ideal of smoothing-out the overall appearance of dresses.

Without wanting to raise the ire of the moderator; rather than buying firmwear full-slips, I've recently started buying firmware briefs. These are particularly effective at smoothing-out the male anatomy when wearing close-fitting skirts, and bodycon dresses.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamodu wrote:Without wanting to raise the ire of the moderator [...]
Thanks for the thought. Right here, though is the line. It's not LASER-etched in stone, but it's right around here.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
VoxClamantis

Post by VoxClamantis »

jamodu wrote:I suppose that if you have plenty of lumps-and-bumps from top to bottom that these are ideal of smoothing-out the overall appearance of dresses.
[...]
firmware briefs. These are particularly effective at smoothing-out the male anatomy when wearing close-fitting skirts
Just a slight muffin top, not too many lumps, though, I had decided to stop working out my arms because it's been hard to fit into sleeved tunics. As for the southern lump, you present a good idea that I hadn't considered....for the sake of modesty.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I have often worried about some of my light skirts being see through so what I did was buy a cheap dark skirt and shorten it to boxer length, and wear that under many of my skirts. I have the freedom and feel of a skirt but if anyone could see through the outer skirt when I'm in strong sun light it would look like I'm wearing boxers. Added benefit is not having to worry quite so much on a windy day.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

hairy wrote:I have often worried about some of my light skirts being see through so what I did was buy a cheap dark skirt and shorten it to boxer length, and wear that under many of my skirts. I have the freedom and feel of a skirt but if anyone could see through the outer skirt when I'm in strong sunlight it would look like I'm wearing boxers.
Just a slight modification of regular boxers with scissors makes them unbifurcated.