"Underwear"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
VoxClamantis

Re: "Underwear"

Post by VoxClamantis »

Thank you all for the replies, though perhaps the thread should be allowed to die before a censor nazi has a conniption. The thread teeters on running afoul of the forum rules, but the original post did not appeal to prurient interest nor to general unwholesomeness and was meant to provoke a discussion of slips. Slips are sold as shapewear which in turn has an effect on how a skirt hangs on the body so in that regard it is within the scope of the forum rules. From the issue of slips I was attempting to also raise a gender equality issue by exploring the parameters that made the underwear question inappropriate. Upon re-reading the original post, I can see that the original post lent itself to comments as to wearing or not wearing underwear and that part would be best dropped. Perhaps a censor nazi can edit the subject line to be "On wearing slips." I will say, however, Ray's "shoes" retort was among the cleverest prose that I have read on this forum. Kudos would be well delivered.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

VoxClamantis wrote:The thread teeters on running afoul of the forum rules, but the original post did not appeal to prurient interest nor to general unwholesomeness and was meant to provoke a discussion of slips.
Great. Now it comes out...
Slips are sold as shapewear which in turn has an effect on how a skirt hangs on the body so in that regard it is within the scope of the forum rules.
Some are sold as "shapewear" and some aren't. I have many that simply help control the flow of the outer garment and provide some level of modesty to some of the lighter skirts I own. They also help keep the skirts cleaner so they don't have to go through the rigours of laundering as often.

The forum rules explicitly allow the discussion of garments that are "designed to alter the outward appearance" of a skirt; this means that altering flow or flare is on-topic.

What's off-topic is the age-old, and offensive, "question" and "that which girds our loins (or doesn't).
From the issue of slips I was attempting to also raise a gender equality issue by exploring the parameters that made the underwear question inappropriate.
Thanks for being honest about the subtext; it's much appreciated.

"The question" is inappropriate for anyone over, perhaps, the age of 5 or 6. At that point. most everybody knows. It's also cliched and gets tiring. It's outright offensive if you're not prepared for it in a social setting. The bottom line is, "Grow up." If the driver is equality, then it should be just as inappropriate for a woman to ask it of a man as it is for a man to ask it of a woman.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
VoxClamantis

Post by VoxClamantis »

Perhaps the thread can be deleted and I'll re-post a more directed OP.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Threads are, to my knowledge, never deleted and only locked under exceptional circumstances. Most die for lack of anything new to add to the post. At least you realised that the main subject of the initial post was about underwear and the comment about slips was more of a teaser question than the main point.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

OK then let this thread die on the Fruit of Loom vine !
Snicker snicker LOL !
Moving onto to something else with a SLIPpery slope !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

I always wear a slip. Saves having to wash heavier (and more expensive) skirts as often. Useful insulation in cooler weather too.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

As we are discussing slips as underwear I would agree , I like to wear a slip to keep my skirt "cleaner " . One or more slips will

provide extra warmth. Some of my skirts have an attached liner. I prefer to wear a separate washable slip under a liner.

Even at 8 C to 10 C my summer weight skirts with a liner and a slip , are warm enough to wear with bare legs

and turned down ankle socks . Increase the number of slips if you feel cold.

If you get problems with static electricity change to cotton slips.

I have small feet and wear school boys shoes....

I am about an hour west of St Austell so with Two skirt wearers in Cornwall we might end up taking over the County.

Being serious I rarely see another Kiltie or a Skirtie in Cornwall . weeladdie
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Tummy control Brazilian briefs, stockings and suspenders or tights, a slip in colder weather is the usual fare for me. You did ask :roll: :mrgreen:

Note: A moderator has taken the liberty of pointing out the sorts of garments that are out of bounds on this forum by way of underlining.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

I believe that discussing underwear was a no-no. As far as I'm concerned, underwear stems from Victorian times and we don't live in a Victorian age anymore.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The only instance where it's acceptable is in the cases where the undergarment is explicitly designed to alter the outward appearance of the main garment or to change the way the main garment behaves. Some folks obviously don't get this.

Any more comment on "that which girds our loins" will be summarily deleted and the thread locked. Grow up.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Gusto10 wrote:I believe that discussing underwear was a no-no. As far as I'm concerned, underwear stems from Victorian times and we don't live in a Victorian age anymore.

When I was on holiday in Williamsburg VA a few years ago, we had a very interesting talk in one of the shops. (Milliner's? One of those old shops that have died out.) It was all about underwear (including men's shirts, which a gentleman would order by the dozen) and it was fascinating. Ladies wore petticoats, and the shape of their skirts determined whether they also needed unmentionables. When voluminous was in fashion, the petticoats would let the draughts in, so a little more protection was called for. (There was other stuff in the talk as well!) Peruke maker did an interesting talk too, your wig said a lot about you. Highly recommended.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair