Common Vision

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Common Vision

Post by SkirtsDad »

Looking at a few tennis 'skirts', although sold as skirts they have built in shorts. With women moving away from actual skirts for most sports, unlike Grok I fail to see any reason why men would therefore take up wearing one. Hiking is another matter.... it is not a competitive sport... it makes perfect sense.

https://www.activinstinct.co.uk/product ... nstinctuk/
https://www.tennis-point.co.uk/head-clu ... 08000.html

Even the sports dresses come with matching 'tights' (tight fitting shorts) that can be worn on their own, which, from our perspective, take away from the freedom when wearing these types of garment.
https://www.kitlocker.com/products/adid ... ol-dress-p

Gone are the days of the bare bum tennis poster... here's the 2014 version:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... nx-on.html
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The common SKORT can be made easily into a SKIRT - only cavet is to remember to replace the internal shorts with some other type of supporting gear !
SKORTS are for the most part generally a tad bit shorter than the SKIRT counterpart so voila viva-le-difference take care of the PH exposure factor !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

SkirtsDad wrote:Looking at a few tennis 'skirts', although sold as skirts they have built in shorts. With women moving away from actual skirts for most sports, unlike Grok I fail to see any reason why men would therefore take up wearing one. Hiking is another matter.... it is not a competitive sport... it makes perfect sense.
POCKETS
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Stu wrote:
ZERO = an end to the association of gender and clothing. There is no such thing as male/masculine/female/feminine clothing any more. Anyone can wear anything without the slightest stigma. It is just as natural to put a boy in a pretty summer dress as it is to put a girl in a tee-shirt and jeans; it is just as natural for a man to turn up for work in a pencil skirt, tights and high-heels as it is for a woman to wear slacks, shirt and tie.
Actually, by the time we get to Zero, the choices for both genders will be either skorts, or old fashioned trousers. :mrgreen:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Actually, by the time we get to Zero, the choices for both genders will be either skorts, or old fashioned trousers. :mrgreen:
My personal suspicion is that by the time that happens -- if ever -- it'll more likely be trousers of some generic form and "leggings"/yoga-pants/"spray-ons". A few die-hards will likely cling to skirted garments, but those will be a distinct minority.

I got into the Big City to my east yesterday as part of my latest sailing "adventure" (microbursts are not fun) and saw a very refreshing number of folks in skirts and dresses around. 'Twas enough to warm this old fart's heart and remind me to not give up hope. Of course the majority were in trousers or spray-ons of some sort, but many were in loose flowy skirts or dresses.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

crfriend wrote:..... it'll more likely be trousers of some generic form and "leggings"/yoga-pants/"spray-ons". .......
It could be my unfamiliarity with the English language but when I see "spray-on" I think of body painting. So I must be missing something. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

beachlion wrote:
crfriend wrote:..... it'll more likely be trousers of some generic form and "leggings"/yoga-pants/"spray-ons". .......
It could be my unfamiliarity with the English language but when I see "spray-on" I think of body painting. So I must be missing something. ;)
Well you are pretty much there... i.e. so thin and body hugging that they might as well be sprayed on.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

beachlion wrote:
Think sheer thin lycra tights - pantyhose - something that conforms to the contours of the skin yet does not show a baggy outline or seams of fabric construction -
therefore giving that sprayed-on look. Care must be taken with how the "spray" is applicable in the crotch area revealing too much physical detailing.
A suitable covering is highly recommended.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote:My personal suspicion is that by the time that happens -- if ever -- it'll more likely be trousers of some generic form and "leggings"/yoga-pants/"spray-ons". A few die-hards will likely cling to skirted garments, but those will be a distinct minority.
[/quote] The hottest days of summer, and the most formal events, seem to see more women wearing skirts/dresses.

But I suspect that skirts will be worn with any regularity only by Skirtonians (men or women).
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:...skirts will be worn with any regularity only by Skirtonians (men or women).
Isn't that a tautology?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:
Grok wrote:...skirts will be worn with any regularity only by Skirtonians (men or women).
Isn't that a tautology?
That's a common problem with him, but he can't be helped as I believe he works in the Department of Redundancy Department at some random government agency. :lol:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

These record heat waves in various countries might bring out the skirts again.

Quote from the following article: "Natural selection has ensured that naked human skin is ideally suited for evaporative cooling, and anything placed on the skin interferes with that process.
The average person has some 110 sweat glands per square centimetre of skin (although this varies with location). When heated, these glands secrete sweat that wets the skin. The ensuing evaporation transfers heat to water molecules, which change from a liquid to a gas, leaving the sweating person cooler.
But, in still conditions, the characteristics of the air in direct contact with the skin change; it rapidly becomes warmer and more humid. This warmer air is less dense and spontaneously rises, taking with it heat (natural convection) and water vapour, and permitting the incoming air to be warmed and humidified.
When we move, or when air moves across the skin (forced convection), convective and evaporative cooling are magnified. Clothing reduces these benefits
"
http://theconversation.com/want-to-keep ... -how-34489

Prepare thyself for global warming - buy a skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

denimini wrote: Prepare thyself for global warming - buy a skirt.
And support the increase of clothing optional venues!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I just wear the skirt I want to wear without appearing feminine or female......at present I am quite happy wearing brightly coloured
traditional summer skirts....at this time I am unlikely to see another "man in a skirt ".....However in the unlikely event of being in a photograph
of a group of men in skirts I might consider the way some men in skirts have chosen to dress is not acceptable for a " man in a skirt."

I am diving into the grey area of the way a man in a skirt appears in a photograph.....Others may disagree that he does not appear as a M.I.S. and
has crossed the isle into a more feminine style of wearing his skirts.

My Female in a New Hiking Skirt looked entirely different to the school girl or the "mother of the bride " at a family wedding.
There is possibly some disagreement as to where the " male / unisex / female " line should be drawn. ................weeladdie
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

denimini wrote:These record heat waves in various countries might bring out the skirts again.

Quote from the following article: "Natural selection has ensured that naked human skin is ideally suited for evaporative cooling, and anything placed on the skin interferes with that process.
The average person has some 110 sweat glands per square centimetre of skin (although this varies with location). When heated, these glands secrete sweat that wets the skin. The ensuing evaporation transfers heat to water molecules, which change from a liquid to a gas, leaving the sweating person cooler.
But, in still conditions, the characteristics of the air in direct contact with the skin change; it rapidly becomes warmer and more humid. This warmer air is less dense and spontaneously rises, taking with it heat (natural convection) and water vapour, and permitting the incoming air to be warmed and humidified.
When we move, or when air moves across the skin (forced convection), convective and evaporative cooling are magnified. Clothing reduces these benefits
"
http://theconversation.com/want-to-keep ... -how-34489

Prepare thyself for global warming - buy a skirt.
Having read this article I have to disagree in respect of the advise on how to stay cool. The best way to stay cool is drinking warm beverages as it will activate the sweat glands thus stimulating perspiration and thus the natural cooling.
The gowns worn by men in the Middle East ensure that they will stay relative cool during the day and warm during the night due to the way the material is woven.