Common Vision

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Common Vision

Post by denimini »

Gusto10 wrote: Having read this article I have to disagree in respect of the advise on how to stay cool. The best way to stay cool is drinking warm beverages as it will activate the sweat glands thus stimulating perspiration and thus the natural cooling.
The gowns worn by men in the Middle East ensure that they will stay relative cool during the day and warm during the night due to the way the material is woven.
Yes, I like my cup of tea in summer, although the 40C plus is usually enough to activate sweat glands, requiring drinking lots of water.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gusto10 wrote:The best way to stay cool is drinking warm beverages as it will activate the sweat glands thus stimulating perspiration and thus the natural cooling.
This only works if the local environment is conducive to evaporating the sweat produced. With what we're having here -- again -- 80+ degree (F) temperatures coupled with mid- 70 degree dewpoints isn't; the sweat just coats one, doesn't evaporate, and hence does nothing in the way of cooling. The only ways to deal with this are forcing dry airflow, mechanical cooling, or dehumidification.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

crfriend wrote:
Gusto10 wrote:The best way to stay cool is drinking warm beverages as it will activate the sweat glands thus stimulating perspiration and thus the natural cooling.
This only works if the local environment is conducive to evaporating the sweat produced. With what we're having here -- again -- 80+ degree (F) temperatures coupled with mid- 70 degree dewpoints isn't; the sweat just coats one, doesn't evaporate, and hence does nothing in the way of cooling. The only ways to deal with this are forcing dry airflow, mechanical cooling, or dehumidification.
You're right on the evaporative condition. The humidity and whether one's in the sun make a big difference for what's the best cooling strategy. In hot humid areas with plenty of shade the old tradition is usually little or no clothing; in sunny desert areas it's the robes.

I expect the hot drink strategy depends on the person. I tend to be pouring out sweat just fine without a hot drink. Weeding or playing volleyball on a dusty sand court, I'm often the only one with muddy legs and arms. Cool drinks (not ice-cold) work best for me.