Before I Wore Skirts I Never...

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Before I Wore Skirts I Never...

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:18 amHad to carry an extra pair of nylons in case I got a run in what I was wearing
In sort of an interesting twist on that theme -- and it runs against the grain of all the womanly advice I've gotten over the years -- I don't carry a spare set, nor do I keep a spare set in a desk-drawer at work.

I used to, years ago, but perhaps astonishingly I've gotten vastly more graceful than I once was when it never mattered if I blundered into something. This is benefit enough, mainly because I damage the world around me less than I once did, but that it also helps keep the clothing bill down is just an added bennie.

I figure I can get 15 to 20 wearings out of a typical pair of sheers, and do not believe I've purchased new stock in about 3 years. There are some secrets to be shared in this venue, most of which revolve around materials science. Contrary to laundering advice, I do not hand wash my legwear; that all goes into a mesh bag and into the load of wash that has compatible colours (sheers go in with the whites). What I don't do is throw them in the dryer, I hang them up to dry after carefully making sure that there's no twisting going on (this is especially critical for patterned or cable-knit designs). I also take great pains when donning the things to not twist them, nor apply any sharp "fingertip" force to them, preferring sliding forces instead of "pulling" forces (in other words, fingertips are extended when pulling them up rather than curled inwards).

My late ex- was astonished with the results because she had such rotten luck. I've actually gotten better over the years with the longevity.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

Had so many lovely conversation openings with both women and men actually. Just had so many lovely lovely compliments. I do tend to ‘pretty skirt’, and this pays dividends. I just like nice things I guess! And people being nice.
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

oldsalt1 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:18 am Had to carry an extra pair of nylons in case I got a run in what I was wearing
Oh I hear that. But I agree with Carl too. I have become substantially more graceful since I started wearing things, including pantyhose, that require me to be more careful about damaging them. I'll generally carry a spare pair or two when travelling only because I take a size not commonly available in corner stores and pharmacies, and of course because I always want a choice of dark or light colours...
Daryl...
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:06 pm Got so many wedgies.

It seems like the only repeat problem that I have encountered with skirts is the amount of wedgies I get in my underwear.

Primarily when I am getting out of my van and sliding off the seat.

Any others find they had this problem and figured out a way to reduce or eliminate the problem?
And don't say go commando, that is not an option I would consider trying.
OK I won't say "Go commando", however it works for me. Longer skirts also help.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

...had realized that I didn’t have to be defined by the labels and cubbyholes assigned by others.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I can change my skirt with my shoes or boots on could never do that with pants
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

Old Salt: I guess you were not into the bell bottom pants of the late 60's early 70's.

However, before I wore skirts, I never realized what it was like to be fully covered
and yet feeling almost naked at the same time. A light skirt in the Summer can give
you both experiences at the same time.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

PatJ wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:48 pm[... B]efore I wore skirts, I never realized what it was like to be fully covered and yet feeling almost naked at the same time. A light skirt in the Summer can give you both experiences at the same time.
That's one of the dirty little secrets the gals don't want getting out, preferring to keep it for themselves. I've had a few conversations about that with women pals over time and everybody gets a chuckle out of it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yeah, I like the "nearly naked" feeling as well. I love it when the breeze "plays" with the hem of a light skirt in summer, lifting it and swirling it around. The feel of the air movement on the legs and thighs is .... The hem movement is delightful. Another carefully hidden secret.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, a great feeling, that lack of complete enclosure, especially with a bit of a breeze.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Jayce

Post by Jayce »

Actually I need to modify this topic slightly: Before I wore Kilts I never... Knew how cold in was in New Jersey in February until all the males in my family wore kilts to my sons wedding and we had to walk about 150 yards to the reception hall during 28 degree weather with high winds.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

... had to ask a woman who had managed to put her boot on the hem of my skirt in a bar, "May I have my skirt back, please?" She was properly horrified, apologised profusely, and there was much laughter about the whole thing.
KiltedBigWave
Distinguished Member

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Before I wore skirts and kilts;

Collected so many skirts and clothes
Had "outfits"
Worried about matching shoes
Coordinated colors
Crossed my legs
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

… had to worry about how I crossed my legs
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Before I wore skirts, I have never:
- been accosted by a woman in all genuineness (she did make a joke about my grocery bag, it did take time for me to understand)
- had a man with a bad scar on his tattoed face, to come and kindly talk with me (the kind of man you can see in scary scenes when watching a movie)
- had a "conversation of smiles" with a woman about how I'm dressed (you know, that kind of situation where you walk in a street, she comes in the opposite direction looking insistantly at your skirt, you look at her, she then looks at you and smile, realizing you did see she what she was starring at. And you smile back to her)
For the record, first two happened within less than 20 minutes, a few days after I have been attacked by a man with a knife (my wound was very fragile and hurting). I let you imagine how uncomfortable with the man I was!