Floral

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Floral

Post by Kirbstone »

At the risk of offending Forum sartorial sages, I put this lot on me today and backed up to the 'Leaning shed of Kildare' during an interval of wan sun-sort-of-shine.

Wearing a straight-cut non-pleated 20-incher posed no motility problems and the rear view is probably the best, as it hides my ageing dial.

I'm a pockets person and was surprised to find these big enough for my spades

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pockets are a good thing, and you rock purple quite well Tom. Nicely done. The boat-shoes seem to throw the ensemble off a bit, but that's just is what it is.

It's time for guys to stop being afraid of patterns other than stripes and plaids.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Kirbstone wrote:To hell with the photo quality, Alastair, It's the look!
Not surprised you can get into a size 12. That floral is a bit longer than most of your others and I see it's got plenty of purple in it, too.

My skelington has a larger beam and a size 16 fits me, also to reach that low on me it'd need to be 24 or 25 inches.
Thanks, Tom.

It is rather longer than I have been displaying here lately, but I have not moved exclusively to short skirts. And with the weather getting colder, now is the time to get back to the knee-length ones (or longer). It is actually 24“, so maybe you should go looking for it in a 16!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Sinned wrote:I would wear that but I would have a paler top - more lilac than anything to tone down the contrast with the skirt. Other than that it's a good skirt with a nice bold pattern - not sure that I'd call it floral though.
Like I said, it's on the abstract side. Out and out flowery isn't my thing.

I'd never have thought of lilac, probably because I don't have any clothes that colour. Don't think it would suit me. But you could well be right; I'm not very good at this sort of thing. So right now I've teamed it up with purple tights and a deep purple sweater, to highlight the purple bits and contrast with the bright bits. Works well, IMO.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

And Tom, your own purple and flowery rig is very fetching!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Tom, a fine skirt and my preconceptions are being mellowed and a floral on a man is no longer so jarring. I think that being shown that it can work helps.

SS, I just think that a black top with that geometric pattern makes the skirt stand out so. That's why I suggested lilac as being less of a contrast and picks up the purple in the skirt. A peach top to pick up what looks like peach on my monitor would work as well. Or white.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:TSS, I just think that a black top with that geometric pattern makes the skirt stand out so. That's why I suggested lilac as being less of a contrast and picks up the purple in the skirt. A peach top to pick up what looks like peach on my monitor would work as well. Or white.
Sometimes a bold statement is what's desired, and sometimes a less bold one is required. That's one of the the joys of dealing with these sorts of garments because stuff like this just isn't available in the male-market world of drab and drabber.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Love florals, in the spring and summer but not so much in the fall; and I trend towards pants in the winter. I've gotten several compliments on light, flowy, floral skirts of approximately knee length. They're fun!
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mark as in Mark »

My take on Florals. I have two skirts in my collection. Wear both often on the warmer days. Although similar they are different. Both have a bit of lilac (purple) in them.
Snowman's on a skirt would be appropriate at the moment.
IMG_6210 Half.jpg
IMG_8552 Half.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Mark as in Mark wrote:My take on Florals. I have two skirts in my collection. Wear both often on the warmer days. Although similar they are different. Both have a bit of lilac (purple) in them.,.
I've steered away from floral in the past but now you've get me thinking of one in black and white. For some reason, though, all the ones that come up as floral in Amazon seem to be retro midis.

I've also considered a Hawaiian floral print skirts because Hawaiian shirts are accepted for men, but so far I haven't found one I like at a price I'm willing to pay. Same for a Hawaiian print utility kilt.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

skirtyscot wrote:So, gentlemen, floral skirts - yes, no or it depends? This one and in general.
Yes to both questions.

Let's face it; the one reason we avoid floral is the association with femininity, but once we've crossed the line in one way, all the other ways seem less worth maintaining.

Only you can judge the practical risks of going too femme for those around you, of course, but if you want to wear something pretty, I think you should. It feels great to be surrounded by pretty.
Daryl...
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I'd wear a floral skirt in a New York minute! In fact, I'm going to go shopping for one!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JeffB1959 wrote:I'd wear a floral skirt in a New York minute! In fact, I'm going to go shopping for one!
Speaking of florals, I wore one of my floral skirts yesterday. To work. To lunch. For afternoon beer. Nobody said a word.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:
JeffB1959 wrote:I'd wear a floral skirt in a New York minute! In fact, I'm going to go shopping for one!
Speaking of florals, I wore one of my floral skirts yesterday. To work. To lunch. For afternoon beer. Nobody said a word.
"Shhh, be quiet, that weird guy with the flowery skirt is coming our way. Be quiet or he might try to talk to us." :shhh:

Or maybe...

"A skirt like that could hide almost any kind of weapon. Anything I say might set him off, so I'll say nothing, and definitely avoid eye contact." :study:
Daryl...
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

My floral skirt had its first airing this morning. Only to my wife (she'd actually seen it already) and children and Son One's girlfriend, but it's a start! Worn at breakfast time with yesterday's pink shirt and black tights. (I was planning to go for a run afterwards, so didn't bother with a shower beforehand, and I don't see the point in putting clean clothes on when I'm not clean.)

No comments, but that is as normal.

A good look, IMO; maybe worthy of a photo.

For Christmas dinner the shirt was teamed up with my bright purple skirt. Perhaps another ensemble to recreate for your delectation.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair