First time out in Utility Kilt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New patent MJ shoes

Post by Caultron »

shadowfax wrote:I've recently been wearing some new black patent Mary Jane shoes with 3 3/4" (9.5cm) block heels together with my usual black Utility Kilt and polo shirt.
The shoes are surprisingly comfortable to walk in, now that I've broken them in a bit around the toes.
No problem driving my car either when I head out to more distant supermarkets...
Good look!

I used to be cautious about wearing tights and heels with a utility kilt, just because any kind of kilt is somewhat traditional. But utility kilts really aren't all that traditional so who knows what the "rules" are?

As to the heels, those do look comfortable. A block heel, a strap, and rounded toes all help.

But the most important thing is to try them on and if they hurt in the first 30 seconds, put or send them back. If you keep looking you can find a comfortable pair.

It's amazing how many people wear heels that hurt because they they think heels are supposed to hurt.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Caultron wrote:
shadowfax wrote:I've recently been wearing some new black patent Mary Jane shoes with 3 3/4" (9.5cm) block heels together with my usual black Utility Kilt and polo shirt.
The shoes are surprisingly comfortable to walk in, now that I've broken them in a bit around the toes.
No problem driving my car either when I head out to more distant supermarkets...
Good look!

I used to be cautious about wearing tights and heels with a utility kilt, just because any kind of kilt is somewhat traditional. But utility kilts really aren't all that traditional so who knows what the "rules" are?

As to the heels, those do look comfortable. A block heel, a strap, and rounded toes all help.

But the most important thing is to try them on and if they hurt in the first 30 seconds, put or send them back. If you keep looking you can find a comfortable pair.

It's amazing how many people wear heels that hurt because they they think heels are supposed to hurt.
Thanks Caultron :) I like the look too. :wink:

Yes, the shoes are comfortable but oddly at first, they would quickly wear a hole through my tights above my big toe. Synthetic patent 'leather' isn't meant to stretch as much as real leather but I guess that now after repeated wearing, the 'leather' has indeed stretched a little on the toes? Sadly, they're no longer available. I wish that I had bought a second, spare pair when I could.
Edit: I found another pair in my size at the store when I was shopping this evening. The price was marked down by 60 percent as they were 'end of range'. £8 ($11 USD) :D
FnF_Sensitive_Sole_Patent_Mary_Jane_Court_Shoes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shadowfax on Sun May 13, 2018 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

shadowfax wrote:...Yes, the shoes are comfortable but oddly at first, they would quickly wear a hole through my tights above my big toe. Synthetic patent 'leather' isn't meant to stretch as much as real leather but I guess that now after repeated wearing, the 'leather' has indeed stretched a little on the toes?...
I take it a toenail trim wasn't the answer, then, eh? That's my usual offense.

I also think it helps, after putting on tights, to pull the toe forward and leave a little slack in front.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Caultron wrote:
shadowfax wrote:...Yes, the shoes are comfortable but oddly at first, they would quickly wear a hole through my tights above my big toe. Synthetic patent 'leather' isn't meant to stretch as much as real leather but I guess that now after repeated wearing, the 'leather' has indeed stretched a little on the toes?...
I take it a toenail trim wasn't the answer, then, eh? That's my usual offense.
Sadly not. :(
Caultron wrote:I also think it helps, after putting on tights, to pull the toe forward and leave a little slack in front.
The new sheer tights/pantyhose from Sheerly Genius, made from fibre with the same strength as used in bulletproof vests may be the ultimate answer? :wink: :)
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

shadowfax wrote: The new sheer tights/pantyhose from Sheerly Genius, made from fibre with the same strength as used in bulletproof vests may be the ultimate answer? :wink: :)
Love the idea, but not the price. Their maths really does not add up for me.... 50 wears for $99? I get name brand tights in the sale at around £2 - £3 ($4). Since usually the will be 40 den+ then I probably get 15 to 25 wears out of them.... so, averaging at 20 wears that's $10.... then there's the other reason I have so many pairs, because they are all different!! So in reality I would need to buy 20 pairs at $99 (if they did different types that is) so I'd be looking at $2k!!!

Hmmm.... I'm sure there's a market for business wear. Apart from anything it saves someone having to take a spare pair just in case the ones they are wearing get snagged. If I ever decide to get another job I might think about it.

shadowfax wrote:Yes, the shoes are comfortable but oddly at first, they would quickly wear a hole through my tights above my big toe. Synthetic patent 'leather' isn't meant to stretch as much as real leather but I guess that now after repeated wearing, the 'leather' has indeed stretched a little on the toes? Sadly, they're no longer available. I wish that I had bought a second, spare pair when I could.
The easy solution for me is wear footless tights, which I do a lot. There are also toeless tights, which I intend to try one day, that will still give full foot coverage, which I can see that some people would probably prefer. I'm usually happy to have the tops of my feet showing though. Another reason I like footless tights is that my feet will sometimes slide around when I'm walking with full tights. With a layer of shiny nylon between my feet and the shoes I don't get this issue.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sheerly Genius Pantyhose

Post by shadowfax »

SkirtsDad wrote:
shadowfax wrote: The new sheer tights/pantyhose from Sheerly Genius, made from fibre with the same strength as used in bulletproof vests may be the ultimate answer? :wink: :)
Love the idea, but not the price. Their maths really does not add up for me.... 50 wears for $99? I get name brand tights in the sale at around £2 - £3 ($4). Since usually the will be 40 den+ then I probably get 15 to 25 wears out of them.... so, averaging at 20 wears that's $10.... then there's the other reason I have so many pairs, because they are all different!! So in reality I would need to buy 20 pairs at $99 (if they did different types that is) so I'd be looking at $2k!!!

Hmmm.... I'm sure there's a market for business wear. Apart from anything it saves someone having to take a spare pair just in case the ones they are wearing get snagged. If I ever decide to get another job I might think about it...........
I agree about the pricing of the Sheerly Genius pantyhose, SkirtsDad, though I suspect that 50 wears is a bit on the conservative side?
I wonder whether a larger company will come in and offer a licensing deal for the fibre? :wink:
Last edited by shadowfax on Sat May 12, 2018 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

shadowfax wrote:The new sheer tights/pantyhose from Sheerly Genius, made from fibre with the same strength as used in bulletproof vests may be the ultimate answer?
As long as they're attractive and comfortable.

But $99 a pair?

caultron
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First time out in Utility Kilt

Post by Mike »

I pre ordered a pair of Sheerly Genius. Can't wait to get them in the fall!!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Mike wrote:I pre ordered a pair of Sheerly Genius. Can't wait to get them in the fall!!
I did too. :wink:
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Mike wrote:I pre ordered a pair of Sheerly Genius. Can't wait to get them in the fall!!
I will not order these tights. One genius in the house is more than enough. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

First time out in A-Line Skirt

Post by shadowfax »

I bought an A-line skirt recently and wore it out in public to the supermarket and other places. I felt like a change from my usual black, Utility Kilt.
The skirt was from the Sainsbury's Tu line and has two useful, front patch pockets and is fully lined.

I wore pretty much the same legwear and shoes though the black tights (pictured below) are semi-opaque. Nearly black sheer tights (pantyhose) look good with the skirt too IMHO.

If anyone in the UK is interested in purchasing a similar skirt then it can be found here. A couple of things to note, their model is 5'11", so the skirt looks a bit shorter than it actually is and the waist sizing is a bit generous. I went a size down from my usual sizing. The skirt, in my size, is 18 1/2" (47 cm) long.
A-line skirt-3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shadowfax on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I think it is a very nice coordinated outfit and you wear it well. It reaches into that area of being normal and natural
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

oldsalt1 wrote:I think it is a very nice coordinated outfit and you wear it well. It reaches into that area of being normal and natural
Thank you for the compliments oldsalt1 :)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

That’s a lovely skirt. The larger waist makes it male-friendly.

In your view, how would the sizing of this compare? Eg if your standard size is 12, would this be a 10?

I’m very tempted...
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Ray wrote:That’s a lovely skirt. The larger waist makes it male-friendly.

In your view, how would the sizing of this compare? Eg if your standard size is 12, would this be a 10?

I’m very tempted...
Hi Ray. You guessed my size correctly. :)
One of the reviewers said that the size 12 skirt had a 35" waist. The size 10 measures 33" (the fabric is a bit stretchy too). If you're not sure, then I would recommend using the free Sainsbury's "Click & Collect" service to order two different sizes then take the one that's too big/too small back to the store. They'll give you a full refund for the wrong-size item that way. :wink:
Last edited by shadowfax on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.