First time out in Utility Kilt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

First time out in Utility Kilt

Post by shadowfax »

I ventured out in a kilt for the first time today. It took some courage. :)

I received the black, utility kit (18" length) this morning. I wore it around my home during the day.

In the late afternoon, I decided to take out the recycling (packaging) to the shared facilities in my local housing area.
It's a little chilly here in the UK now, so I wore black, medium support tights (pantyhose). I have slightly dodgy knees so the mild compression is useful. I had black, patent Mary Jane shoes with 2" block heels on my feet. Black rugby shirt.
After a lot of hesitation, I ventured out. Negotiated the external stairs down from the landing into the communal garden, out of the gate, about twenty feet down the footpath to a corner. Turned the corner. Two teenage cyclists, cycling on the narrow footpath, nearly knocked me over. Apologies were muttered by us all. I walked another dozen feet to the recycling bin. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the two lads had stopped to stare at me. I just ignored them and started dumping the recycling in the bin. After a few seconds they lost interest and rode around the corner and away. I went back to my flat.

Emboldened by my first outing, I grabbed the food waste bin and went back out to the communal recycling area to empty that too! :wink: :)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First time out in Utility Kilt

Post by Caultron »

Congratulations on your first time out, shadowfax, and welcome to the board! The first time is always the hardest, and it gets easier faster than you probably think.

Your all-black outfit sounds great. I like all-black myself, and it projects a goth-like look that people accept as nonconformist.

If you wear tights for your knees, and you haven't been out in a kilt or skirt before, I suppose you've been wearing them under your shorts or trousers. Is that right? And if so, have you been, "discovered," and how did that go?

Had you worn your black patent Mary Janes out before? And if so, with what, and how did that go?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

First off Welcome to the posting side of SC. :D

And welcome to going out and about side of skirt wearing. See it did not hurt nor did the sky fall as you stepped out of the safety of your home. Now it will just get easier to go out in a skirt or kilt.

Enjoy your new found self!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Caultron wrote:Congratulations on your first time out, shadowfax, and welcome to the board! The first time is always the hardest, and it gets easier faster than you probably think.

Your all-black outfit sounds great. I like all-black myself, and it projects a goth-like look that people accept as nonconformist.

If you wear tights for your knees, and you haven't been out in a kilt or skirt before, I suppose you've been wearing them under your shorts or trousers. Is that right? And if so, have you been, "discovered," and how did that go?

Had you worn your black patent Mary Janes out before? And if so, with what, and how did that go?
Thanks Caultron :)

I've worn tights (pantyhose) with shorts before but in "stealth" colours like natural tan or neutral. For footwear with shorts, I generally wore the type of sandals where the pantyhose's toe seams are covered. Keen sandals? The ones that people might use when canyoning?
I don't believe that I've been discovered.

Yes, I've worn the black patent Mary Janes out before. In summer, I would go out for a walk in the late afternoon, wearing shorts and "stealth" tights (pantyhose) with the Keen sandals on. The Mary Janes in a shoulder bag. At twilight, I would swap the sandals for the Mary Janes in a quiet corner then walk home. No-one seemed to notice even though the shoes have medium 2" block heels.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Thanks Fred :)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

shadowfax:

Well then, it seems you're just on the cusp of wearing skirts or kilts in the world at large.

So let me tell you the most unbelievable thing in the world: no one will care. Well over half the people around you won't even notice. Think about it. Do you really give everyone around you a thorough fashion once-over? No, you mostly just go about your own business. So will they.

And 99% of those who do notice will have a half-second WTF moment, then decide, "Oh well," and continue on their business. Give yourself some credit for expanding their world viewing go about your business.

That leaves something less than 0.5% of people who might frown. Frown? You're going to deny your true self over a frown? Really?

No fashion police. No black helicopters. No circles of people pointing and laughing. Just you being yourself.

You've already started small. Convenience stores, gas stations, and walks in a park are common next steps. Countercultural events like art shows, craft shows, tattoo shows, and comicons are all possibilities. My first day of wearing a utilit kilt in public was a tattoo show: thousands of crazy-looking unconventional people walking around looking at all the other crazy-looking unconventional people. Nothing but compliments, no bad vibes at all. Piece of cake. Won first place for my back piece.

Or lose yourself in a crowd. Visit a shopping mall or district an hour or so from home.

Or keep it small. Go someplace with only a few people around and with a quick getaway. But don't get away.

Above all, keep up your confidence. If you act like a creep, people are going to think you're creep. If you're friendly and seem confident, they'll think you're OK. Easy peasy.

And let us know how it goes.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

So I took Caultron's advice and his encouragement to heart. :)

Dressed pretty much as yesterday, black utility kilt, black rugby shirt, tights (pantyhose) and the Mary Jane, heeled shoes.
Today (Sunday), the medium support hose were slighty lighter in colour, "nearly black" instead of "black".

Just before 9AM, I walked over to the newsagent's (convenience store) to buy a newspaper. Didn't see anyone on the walk over (about a tenth of a mile). Stayed confident. Chatted with the guy behind the counter about sport. Felt good. It was quiet on the way home too.

This afternoon, I went out in the car to take a parcel to a convenience store drop-off point. On the way to my car (parked on the street), there was a small group of children with their parents, chatting outside a property. Confidence again. A cheery good afternoon from me then into the car. Fortunately my car's seats are quite high and I was able to sit and swivel my legs in easily.
Drove a mile or so to the store. Parked on the street nearby, swiveled back out of the car and walked to the store. Besides the shopkeeper, there were two teenage boys in the shop. No comments from them. I handed over the parcel to the guy behind the counter and we exchanged a few words about the parcel scanning system whilst we waited a minute for the system to connect before he could print out a receipt for me. Feeling good, I walked back to my car and drove off, taking a longer way home. No one was about when I parked up and walked back to my flat.

I think that I'm getting there! :wink: :)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

shadowfax wrote:I think that I'm getting there! :wink: :)
You are there already!! Now you can do anything and go anywhere in a skirt or kilt with out any worries. It will not be long before the pants are sent to the back of the closet never to be seen again. :lol:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

shadowfax wrote:Just before 9AM, I walked over to the newsagent's (convenience store) to buy a newspaper. Didn't see anyone on the walk over (about a tenth of a mile). Stayed confident. Chatted with the guy behind the counter about sport. Felt good. It was quiet on the way home too.
That's one.
shadowfax wrote: This afternoon, I went out in the car to take a parcel to a convenience store drop-off point. On the way to my car (parked on the street), there was a small group of children with their parents, chatting outside a property. Confidence again. A cheery good afternoon from me then into the car. Fortunately my car's seats are quite high and I was able to sit and swivel my legs in easily.
That's two.
shadowfax wrote: Drove a mile or so to the store. Parked on the street nearby, swiveled back out of the car and walked to the store. Besides the shopkeeper, there were two teenage boys in the shop. No comments from them. I handed over the parcel to the guy behind the counter and we exchanged a few words about the parcel scanning system whilst we waited a minute for the system to connect before he could print out a receipt for me. Feeling good, I walked back to my car and drove off, taking a longer way home. No one was about when I parked up and walked back to my flat.
That's three.
shadowfax wrote:I think that I'm getting there!
I'm sure of it. Impossible as it may seem, the only person for whom wearing a skirt in public is a big deal is you.

Keep it up and keep us all up to date, eh?

caultron
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Shadowfax, as another café patron in the UK I'm wondering where you obtained your 18-inch utility kilt.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

geron wrote:Shadowfax, as another café patron in the UK I'm wondering where you obtained your 18-inch utility kilt.
From UK eBay. Type, 112544497792 in the "Search for anything" box.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

shadowfax wrote:
geron wrote:Shadowfax, as another café patron in the UK I'm wondering where you obtained your 18-inch utility kilt.
From UK eBay. Type, 112544497792 in the "Search for anything" box.
For us US types, it's also available from the US Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tartan-Republi ... Swg0BZ2f7V
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Hi

Do you live anywhere near London?
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

renesm1 wrote:Hi

Do you live anywhere near London?
Sorry, I choose not to answer that question. :wink:
I will not answer via PM either, sorry.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Thanks for the details, shadowfax -- a good price, too.