Foot and Leg Wear, Socks, Stockings, Leggings, Tights, Etc.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Foot and Leg Wear, Socks, Stockings, Leggings, Tights, E

Post by Mike »

I picked up some 120 denier black tights, wore them with a skirt, but ended up changing them for pantyhose. They offered support / compression when I first put them on, but soon felt baggy.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Mike wrote:I picked up some 120 denier black tights, wore them with a skirt, but ended up changing them for pantyhose. They offered support / compression when I first put them on, but soon felt baggy.
Yeah, that can happen depending on the size and the amount of Lycra.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I made my first real trip out in tights today. Between the bank , cleaners home depot ,staples I made 8 stops. Up to now I had been a little weary of wearing tights. But after today I have no problem. It was about 40 degrees out and I was warm. I have to get some thicker ones for when it gets colder
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

oldsalt1 wrote:I made my first real trip out in tights today. Between the bank , cleaners home depot ,staples I made 8 stops. Up to now I had been a little weary of wearing tights. But after today I have no problem. It was about 40 degrees out and I was warm. I have to get some thicker ones for when it gets colder
Yes indeed. Of a skirt, heels, and tights, the tights are by far the least prone to negative reactions, and they are surprisingly warm. Not subarctic warm but more than you might think. I think the weave creates tiny air pocket that act as insulation.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Caultron wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote:I made my first real trip out in tights today. Between the bank , cleaners home depot ,staples I made 8 stops. Up to now I had been a little weary of wearing tights. But after today I have no problem. It was about 40 degrees out and I was warm. I have to get some thicker ones for when it gets colder
Yes indeed. Of a skirt, heels, and tights, the tights are by far the least prone to negative reactions, and they are surprisingly warm. Not subarctic warm but more than you might think. I think the weave creates tiny air pocket that act as insulation.
That is what happens exactly Caultron but not in the way that your mind normally thinks. What actually happens is that there is a natural very thin layer of warm air next to your skin, This is caused by a natural heating of the air by the body, this layer is very thin. The nylon in the hosiery is a non heat conductor and the little spaces between the strands helps to hold this very thin layer of warm air next to your skin this creating a warmth insulator which helps your legs to stay warmer than if exposed to the natural airs currents that tend to disrupt the layer of warm air. To really get a better effect you can wear 2 pairs of tights/hose and the second layer helps to cover over the open areas in the first layer which makes the effect even more noticeable to you the wearer.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

hoborob wrote:...the little spaces between the strands helps to hold this very thin layer of warm air next to your skin this creating a warmth insulator...
I thought that's what I said but if there is some nuance of difference, it's OK with me if you win.

caultron
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

hoborob wrote:...The nylon in the hosiery is a non heat conductor...
Actually nylon is a moderately good heat conductor, not as good as metals but a lot more conductive than air. It also has a large specific heat, so it feels cold when you first touch it.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

pelmut wrote:
hoborob wrote:...The nylon in the hosiery is a non heat conductor...
Actually nylon is a moderately good heat conductor, not as good as metals but a lot more conductive than air. It also has a large specific heat, so it feels cold when you first touch it.
This is more in line with what I have found about sheer or near-sheer hosiery. I don't feel any warmth from nylon tights, but I have a pair of cotton blend cable knit to the knees tights that work well for me. Almost as well as my heavy cotton thigh highs.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Seems like this is the best place to place this picture.
Me and my wife were shopping last night for chrisatmas gifts.
I saw this shirt its how I feel about leggings in fashion.
Leggings over used and abused the wear all and every where garment in womens fashion.
Side note I did not really anything on the womans side that even interested me. Womens fasion is even getting stale at the ol big box store. Ok there were a few whimsy christmas tops but that was it. Nothing worth buying. And for winter time the tops were paper thin. Zero skirts and a handful of holiday goofy sweater dresses :( ick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Indeed, leggings are pants (UK slang usage).

"The '80s called. They want their leggings back."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Let us put this another way, leggings are not trousers or pants, they are what they are.
How appropriate they are in any context or to the wearer is another question
Gender wise they are as neutral as any other bit of cloth.
Personally, I don't dig the look of them on certain females. I have never noticed a guy wearing a pair.
However, do not judge me and I will have no reason to judge you.
Clothes are just changeable skins!
Steve.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Leggings have become my goto pants, so much more comfortable than jeans.
If I can't wear a skirt I usually opt for Leggings unless I need to protection of jeans while working in the shop.

I see some women wearing tights or opaque panty hose as leggings and you can see through them.
To be fair I have seen some tights companies selling their opaque tights as leggings which they most certainly are not.
When I see that I think, did you forget your skirt? Did you not look in the mirror?

:ugeek:
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

STEVIE wrote:Let us put this another way, leggings are not trousers or pants, they are what they are.
How appropriate they are in any context or to the wearer is another question
Gender wise they are as neutral as any other bit of cloth.
Personally, I don't dig the look of them on certain females. I have never noticed a guy wearing a pair.
However, do not judge me and I will have no reason to judge you.
Clothes are just changeable skins!
Steve.
Leggings are just tight pants. They are unsuitable for men (especially without a skirt). They look great on many females, but are always inappropriate without a skirt (much as I like seeing them without). I have seen guys wearing them.

Go ahead, judge me. 8)
Daryl...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Daryl wrote:...Leggings are just tight pants. They are unsuitable for men (especially without a skirt). They look great on many females, but are always inappropriate without a skirt (much as I like seeing them without). I have seen guys wearing them...
I sometimes wear "jeggings" (which are leggings with faux pockets and side seams to make them look like jeans) when going out with my wife, because with rare exceptions she still refuses to be seen with me skirted in public.

And for cold weather hiking I sometimes wear smooth leggings under my utility kilt, because to me that's still better than (ugh) trousers.

As to wearing smooth leggings as one's only lower coverage, that does seem rather rakish, because men don't usually show off their shape that way. Then again, men do wear spandex tights for cycling and running. So if you've got the bod...

caultron
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Unfortunately, manufacturers and others seem to have made it almost impossible to understand what people are talking about by interchanging the usage of words...
In the UK , tights were always a footed thin garment: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... ish/tights and leggings were a heavier footless piece of clothing.... so, ballet dancers wore tights and sports people, runners etc. wore leggings.... only Nike and some others decide to call these tights. UK tights = US pantyhose... or at least it did. I notice that Merriam-Webster describes tights as a "skintight garment covering the body from the neck down or from the waist down". So now, it seems, a full length bodysuit can also be referred to as tights! :?