Foot and Leg Wear, Socks, Stockings, Leggings, Tights, Etc.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Foot and Leg Wear, Socks, Stockings, Leggings, Tights, E

Post by Bertino56 »

Has anyone tried these?
http://www.unjeans.com
They go out of their way to present themselves as a
unisex product -- leggings for women and men.
$39.00 a pair, black only.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Bertino56 wrote:Has anyone tried these?
http://www.unjeans.com
They go out of their way to present themselves as a
unisex product -- leggings for women and men.
$39.00 a pair, black only.
Maybe it's just me but pants by any other name are still pants.
Daryl...
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The Henry FORD edition any COLOR you want as long as it is BLACK !
There are times I want to be Robin Hood men in GREEN tights !
Other times with a subdued GREY tint toning things down !
Not into BROWN but I do wear WHITE after Labor Day.
And what about RED a festive color for the holidays ?
I like ROYAL BLUE to match my eyes and some tartans.

Conclusion there are far less expensive UNJeans out there - shop for
leggings at Wal*Mart Target or even Amazon - just watch the sizing !

At least these UNJeans are not ONE SIZE FITS ALL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

@Daryl, you're right. There seems to be plenty of interest in legwear,
but maybe a thread like this belongs in the "Freestyle Fashion" slot.
Or maybe legwear should have its own category.
I'm not endorsing UnJeans, just pointing out a product that's marketed
equally to men and women.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Bertino56 wrote:@Daryl, you're right. There seems to be plenty of interest in legwear,
but maybe a thread like this belongs in the "Freestyle Fashion" slot.
Or maybe legwear should have its own category.
I'm not endorsing UnJeans, just pointing out a product that's marketed
equally to men and women.
Yeah categories can be difficult. Legwear is an issue for skirt wearers so I think fair in the skirt category.

Personally I don't see the point of wearing pants under a skirt, but certainly some people do it (however very wrong they may be) so I think jeggings and the such are fair under this thread too. Pants as such might not fit under skirts on their own, granted, but context is everything.
Daryl...
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

In a moment of curiosity er maby more confusion tonight I just about bought a pair of leggings. Then I remebered I like the open freedom. So I just bought a couple pair of long grey winter socks.

There is nothing better than the freedom of a kilt or skirt.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

mishawakaskirt wrote:In a moment of curiosity er maby more confusion tonight I just about bought a pair of leggings. Then I remebered I like the open freedom. So I just bought a couple pair of long grey winter socks.

A kilt or skirt plus kittens...
Daryl...
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

mishawakaskirt wrote:In a moment of curiosity er maby more confusion tonight I just about bought a pair of leggings. Then I remebered I like the open freedom. So I just bought a couple pair of long grey winter socks.

Ok since I posted this a few days ago I decided to give leggings a trial /test.
My wife bought a pair of the very leggings I was looking at and mentioned in the above post. Some times its scary how much we think alike.
I commented to her "that those look warm". To that she said " would you like to try them" which sort of supprised me. I kind of down played it to kind of a eh nah no.
later I did try them on. Indoors the fleece lined leggings are supprisingly warm.
I put on my kilt and stepped outside, outside from the knees down I could feel the chill of 40 F weather, from the knees up warm and toasty. After a few minutes I came in warmed up, then took off the tights and put on the above mentioned knee length grey winter socks.
Back outside the effect was just the reverse. Interesting.
With all that said I still am not totally into leggings, I don't like the way they cling to my hairy body. Pictured below kilt and leggings if its cold I'm just sticking to fleece lounge pants under my jeans.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

mishawakaskirt wrote:

Ok since I posted this a few days ago I decided to give leggings a trial /test.
My wife bought a pair of the very leggings I was looking at and mentioned in the above post. Some times its scary how much we think alike.
I commented to her "that those look warm". To that she said " would you like to try them" which sort of supprised me. I kind of down played it to kind of a eh nah no.
later I did try them on. Indoors the fleece lined leggings are supprisingly warm.
I put on my kilt and stepped outside, outside from the knees down I could feel the chill of 40 F weather, from the knees up warm and toasty. After a few minutes I came in warmed up, then took off the tights and put on the above mentioned knee length grey winter socks.
Back outside the effect was just the reverse. Interesting.
With all that said I still am not totally into leggings, I don't like the way they cling to my hairy body. Pictured below kilt and leggings if its cold I'm just sticking to fleece lounge pants under my jeans.
Aren't leggings de facto not just slim cut, stretchy trousers?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Gusto10 wrote:Aren't leggings de facto not just slim cut, stretchy trousers?
I suppose you could argue that, but leggings are generally smooth all over while jeggings and skinny yeans typically have side seams, faux pockets, a faux fly, and/or belt loops.

Going the other direction, leggings are arguably just super-heavy tights, and nobody calls tights trousers.

But then there are yoga pants...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Caultron wrote:
I suppose you could argue that, but leggings are generally smooth all over while jeggings and skinny yeans typically have side seams, faux pockets, a faux fly, and/or belt loops.

Going the other direction, leggings are arguably just super-heavy tights, and nobody calls tights trousers.

You would almost require a university degree in order to differentiate between the various forms. :)
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Gusto10 wrote:
Caultron wrote:

You would almost require a university degree in order to differentiate between the various forms. :)
As the owner of over 100 pairs of leggings, a few jeggings and many pairs of footless tights then I hope I'm well on my way to getting that degree.

Jeggings are simply jeans-leggings and would normally be from a heavyish cotton or stretch cotton, although lighter than most jean material. Styling is jeans like, but, as mentioned, the fly and often the pockets are in most cases faux. Skeggings: skirt-leggings, i.e. leggings with a light weight short skirt sewn to the waistband.

Leggings, certainly 10 years ago or more, referred to 'leggings' in their own right and not footless tights. The material is different, as are the seams, and there is no gusset. Leggings in their purest sense can be worn without a covering garment. The material is typically 95% cotton, 5% lycra although you will often find viscose/lycra as well as others.

Footless tights, on the other hand, in line with footed tights are typically slightly opaque when worn, or in the case of winter knitted tights, are slightly loose woven and allow the skin or underwear to be seen through the weave very slightly when stretched over, for instance, the knee, the posterior etc. Larger sizes, at least, will have a gusset and would not be considered suitable to be worn without a covering garment.

Unfortunately, more manufacturers these days seem to be adopting the term leggings for footless tights, which may add to some people's confusion. One way to tell the difference, other than inspection of the actual 'leggings' is the way they are packaged. Conventional leggings tend to be hung similarly to trousers, either full length or folded in half. Footless tights are generally packaged as tights, either flat in between windowed card for thin ones, or, as with the thicker ones, folded several times and hung as winter tights (not unlike merchandising of multi-pack socks).
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

As the owner of over 100 pairs of leggings, a few jeggings and many pairs of footless tights then I hope I'm well on my way to getting that degree.

Jeggings are simply jeans-leggings and would normally be from a heavyish cotton or stretch cotton, although lighter than most jean material. Styling is jeans like, but, as mentioned, the fly and often the pockets are in most cases faux. Skeggings: skirt-leggings, i.e. leggings with a light weight short skirt sewn to the waistband.

Leggings, certainly 10 years ago or more, referred to 'leggings' in their own right and not footless tights. The material is different, as are the seams, and there is no gusset. Leggings in their purest sense can be worn without a covering garment. The material is typically 95% cotton, 5% lycra although you will often find viscose/lycra as well as others.

Footless tights, on the other hand, in line with footed tights are typically slightly opaque when worn, or in the case of winter knitted tights, are slightly loose woven and allow the skin or underwear to be seen through the weave very slightly when stretched over, for instance, the knee, the posterior etc. Larger sizes, at least, will have a gusset and would not be considered suitable to be worn without a covering garment.

Unfortunately, more manufacturers these days seem to be adopting the term leggings for footless tights, which may add to some people's confusion. One way to tell the difference, other than inspection of the actual 'leggings' is the way they are packaged. Conventional leggings tend to be hung similarly to trousers, either full length or folded in half. Footless tights are generally packaged as tights, either flat in between windowed card for thin ones, or, as with the thicker ones, folded several times and hung as winter tights (not unlike merchandising of multi-pack socks).
You sure are!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

With cold weather on the way where I live, I had bought three pairs of 100 denier black tights, one such pair I wore on an outing in sub 40 degree weather yesterday and felt perfectly warm, even though I wore a short skirt. They're certainly good to have!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

JeffB1959 wrote:With cold weather on the way where I live, I had bought three pairs of 100 denier black tights, one such pair I wore on an outing in sub 40 degree weather yesterday and felt perfectly warm, even though I wore a short skirt. They're certainly good to have!
I'm a big fan of winter tights, although rarely in black. Some of the fleece lined ones are nice and light yet warm at the same time.