Interesting Guy

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Interesting Guy

Post by Daryl »

JeffB1959 wrote:As for the handbag, that’s a smart decision. I carry handbags all the time on my outings, heck, I never leave the house without one. If anything, I don’t feel fully dressed without a purse.
It's almost like that for me too. I may pull some essentials out of it and leave it out of sight in the car for a trip into a store, but it's rarely far from me.

Most guys carry purses but don't acknowledge it. They are using their toolboxes, briefcases, gym bags, cars and jackets as purses, because even trousers with pockets don't really accomodate all the stuff we carry with us. Losing the pants pockets just makes us skirt wearers take the extra leap to really organising our stuff, I think.
Daryl...
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Daryl wrote:
JeffB1959 wrote:As for the handbag, that’s a smart decision. I carry handbags all the time on my outings, heck, I never leave the house without one. If anything, I don’t feel fully dressed without a purse.
It's almost like that for me too. I may pull some essentials out of it and leave it out of sight in the car for a trip into a store, but it's rarely far from me.

Most guys carry purses but don't acknowledge it. They are using their toolboxes, briefcases, gym bags, cars and jackets as purses, because even trousers with pockets don't really accomodate all the stuff we carry with us. Losing the pants pockets just makes us skirt wearers take the extra leap to really organising our stuff, I think.
And, it provides a cleaner profile without stuff bulging from pockets, something I personally hate. Even when I wear skirts with pockets, I never put ANYTHING in them, that's what the handbag is for.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'm a recent "bag" convert.
It's not a manbag, purse or handbag, just my bag. It holds my "stuff".
It works because I got bored with cramming jacket pockets and I don't evaluate my skirts on storage capacity.
I dress as ME, no more, no less.
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Mark as in Mark wrote:I have a 1967 911 with a 2.2 liter S that will forever be a work in progress. My wife drives a fairly new Macan Turbo that doubles as our family car here in Germany. In Dallas, I have a Cayman S and the wife drives a Mercedes. So we are pretty much German automotive supporters. I have always had a Porsche of one make or the other since my dad gave me an old rusted out 356 to work on when I was 14 years old. The Cayman and the Macan are the only cars I have ever bought new. The 67 is by far my favorite but I do enjoy the AC when in Dallas.

Track days I wear racing booties. Driving in heels just isn't safe. I have done a few heel-toe while wearing some boots with a 3" block heel, however. :oops:
Ah ha, I see where your comment in another thread came from - definitely from your experience.
Mark as in Mark wrote:
denimini wrote: A man with a $5 skirt will turn more heads than with any Porsche.
How about a man wearing a skirt driving a Porsche?
Your dress style is certainly appropriate for driving a Porsche - where mine is more for driving an old Land Rover; denim & work boots.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

STEVIE wrote:I'm a recent "bag" convert.
It's not a manbag, purse or handbag, just my bag. It holds my "stuff".
It works because I got bored with cramming jacket pockets and I don't evaluate my skirts on storage capacity.
I dress as ME, no more, no less.
Steve.
Well maybe we can convert you back. A bag is for putting groceries in; a purse for personal loot...your "stuff". It's not a gendered term anymore than "skirt" is.

My wife has the same piece of luggage I do, and calls it her purse. Same make and model (hers is grey and mine is black). If I took to calling mine my "bag", what distinction am I really making other than that I don't want to call it the same thing that a woman would call it?
Daryl...
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

But Daryl, here a purse is what a woman keeps her money in. Her bag is her handbag, or her shoulder bag, or just... her bag!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Isn't 'sporran' Gaelic for 'purse?'

Well...there ya go. :shock:
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

skirtyscot wrote:But Daryl, here a purse is what a woman keeps her money in. Her bag is her handbag, or her shoulder bag, or just... her bag!
Women keep their shoulders and hands in bags over there? Here we call those bags "blouses" and "mittens". Boy, it sure is a wonderfully diverse world, innit?
Daryl...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

skirtyscot wrote:But Daryl, here a purse is what a woman keeps her money in. Her bag is her handbag, or her shoulder bag, or just... her bag!
In the US, both men and women keep their paper money, credit cards, and ID cards in a wallet. Men usually keep their wallets in a rear pants pocket; women keep them in a purse of which there are various types: handbags, shoulder bags, cross-body bags, satchels, and so forth.

Men's wallets usually fold paper money in half so the wallet fits in a pants pocket. Women's wallets usually keep the paper money flat. But they're both sometimes called billfolds.

It's considered effeminate for a man to carry a purse so those that do usually call it a bag. These are often sized to carry a laptop or tablet PC so there's an excuse for carrying them. Some are called messenger bags, as if the purpose is to carry orders or whatever from the general or whoever to the front or whatever. Messenger bags are usually cross-body so you don't drop them from your galloping warhorse.

Not many people carry coin purses anymore, but they're always called just that: coin purses.

In fact, use of coins is phasing out. Most people pay with plastic or EFT, and if they do pay in cash and get coins back, they toss them in a jar when they come home, and then when the jar gets full, they dump the coins in a machine in a grocery store that counts them, subtracts a fee, and gives them a receipt they can spend at the checkout counter. Or they can avoid the fee by taking the money as an Amazon gift certificate.

Most banks no longer accept large numbers of coins, even for deposit. They make you roll them up in standard-sized paper tubes that they check by weighing.

Such, apparently, is the nature of advanced society.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Lions Color Rush?

Post by Mark as in Mark »

Ok. Now the Lions have adopted my look!
636490557343508040-lions-121617-kd-13-2.jpg
IMG_9200 half.jpg
IMG_9154.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Lions Color Rush?

Post by Gusto10 »

Mark as in Mark wrote:Ok. Now the Lions have adopted my look!
636490557343508040-lions-121617-kd-13-2.jpg
IMG_9200 half.jpg
IMG_9154.jpg
Nice indeed! Guess they didn't go for the shoes in order to safe the grass. On the other hand it would have been an easy way to 'air' the field.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Mark, looking good as usual.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Caultron wrote:It's considered effeminate for a man to carry a purse so those that do usually call it a bag.
Which is exactly why I call mine a purse; not that I want to be considered effeminate but because I refuse to affirm the validity of the fear of being considered effeminate, especially over gendered word associations.

People like to call my skirts "kilts" even when they do not resemble kilts at all, because the feminine association of the word "skirt" makes them uncomfortable applying it to a man. Get the frak over it, I say.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Gordon wrote:Mark, looking good as usual.
Indeed. One of the sharpest pencils in the box.

(hoping there's no rule against puns on this board)
Daryl...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Daryl wrote:
(hoping there's no rule against puns on this board)
Only rules for pencils
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia