Dissertation research regarding men in skirts.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.

Why do you wear skirts?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Because I think wearing a skirt is more practical and comfortable than trousers
68%
Because it I like the aesthetic and think it looks stylish and fashionable
17%
I wear a skirt because I like to feel feminine
7%
It is part of my cultural heritage (Religious)
No votes
It is part of my cultural heritage (the Kilt)
3%
It is part of my cultural heritage (other)
No votes
Artistic expression
3%
I belong in a subculture where wearing a skirt it more commonplace such as punk, goth etc.
No votes
other not listed
3%

Total votes: 71

hollymcc

Dissertation research regarding men in skirts.

Post by hollymcc »

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but hopefully it is!

I am currently a fashion student and going into my final year at university and I am currently doing research for my dissertation. I intend it to be about men wearing skirts and their relation to masculinity, gender and how society perceives this.

I would like to gather information first hand from men who wear skirts as an item of clothing and use this data within my research through a series of questions and get to know some more inside information about the matter as I feel it is a very interesting topic.

If anybody would be willing to let me ask you a few questions about this topic then please send me a private message or reply to this thread.

I really hope I hear back from someone!

Kindest regards,
Holly

:bom:
Last edited by hollymcc on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dissertation research regarding men in skirts.

Post by Grok »

Comfort is significant. In this regard skirts have an advantage over trousers:

1. Ventilation below the waist. Very helpful during the hottest days of summer. I am actually inclined to describe the cooling as a form of air conditioning.

2. Something women might overlook-a wedge of cloth in your (external) genitalia. Skirts eliminate this disadvantage.
hollymcc

Post by hollymcc »

Great thank you!

Could I ask, those of you that are choosing the answer to the poll as "is is part of my cultural heritage" as an answer, by this do you mean that it is a religious or heritage from non-western countries? (or the Scottish kilt) or that you believe your choice to wear a skirt is your cultural heritage?

thank you!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

As for aesthetics, yes, some skirts can look good on men. It depends on the design of the skirt, and a man's looks in general. And skirts add variety in terms of appearance.

Wearing the same old/same old-trousers-for a lifetime is monotonous.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

As for cultural heritage, the Kilties tend to gravitate to forums such as:

1. X Marks the Scot

2. Brotherhood of the Kilt

I like kilting myself, but I find kilt forums too restrictive in one sense-prohibiting discussion of other skirt like garments.

Judging from various posts, it seems like virtually all members of Skirt Cafe are Westerners. So non-western clothing it not part of our heritage.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Good afternoon Holly.

NOTE: Even if I am the site administrator, this is written from a personal perspective and does not in any way speak for the forum as a whole.

Given the option of having to choose only one of the batch of choices made things rather difficult as my reasons for wearing -- and, in fact preferring skirts to trousers -- are various and multifaceted. The aesthetic aspect is one primary driver and comfort is another. I happen to understand that skirts are sometimes not the best choice of garb to do certain things in, and for that sort of stuff I revert to trousers, as well as in times where the skirt would be an unnecessary and potentially unwelcome presence.

So, more or less in order, it'd be aesthetics, comfort, and artistic expression.

Put plainly, I think that skirts flatter the human form better than trousers do, and the added surface area of skirts means one can do more with it than would be otherwise possible. There are also a very wide range of skirt styles and lengths; add to those aspects that skirts are available in vastly more colours and fabrics and one winds up with a cornucopia of options -- a sometimes baffling array. More than once it's been said on here that, "Now I understand how women can have a closet positively bursting with clothes and still 'have nothing to wear'."

Leaving drag out of it, and to pre-emptively answer some of the types who cannot conceive that a straight guy would have any desire whatsoever to wear a skirt, the response to that is that there is no connection at all. Straight guys can wear skirts as can "gay" guys -- and the breakdown seems to be roughly analogous to the breakdown of the general population. (I doubt that anybody's done any critical analysis on the matter, but that's what seems to be the case on this forum.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Wished the Poll would have had more than one option or a ranked choice selection i.e. 1st 2nd 3rd.

But that is me never in sync with any of the norms !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I am a heterosexual male who identifies as a heterosexual male. The GayLesbianBisexualTransgender thing may be the fashionable topics of today, but I don't fit into that context.

In general, I think you will find that forum members like skirts as clothing.
Last edited by Grok on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Grok wrote: Judging from various posts, it seems like virtually all members of Skirt Cafe are Westerners. So non-western clothing it not part of our heritage.
Not all members here are from western countries (me for example), though my interest in skirts is primarily aesthetic, with a little cultural heritage thrown in.
らき☆
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Judah14 wrote:
Grok wrote: Judging from various posts, it seems like virtually all members of Skirt Cafe are Westerners. So non-western clothing it not part of our heritage.
Not all members here are from western countries (me for example), though my interest in skirts is primarily aesthetic, with a little cultural heritage thrown in.
:oops: I stand corrected.
Last edited by Grok on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Grok wrote::oops: Good point, Judah14. Perhaps it would be desirable to have more discussion of non-Western garments?
I originally signed up here to open up a thread on malong, a kind of skirt worn by men and women in Muslim Mindanao in the Philippines, as it has not been brought up here before I signed up.
らき☆
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Holly. I like skirts occasionally as a change from trousers. That really says it all.

How would you like to think that, from infanthood to death the only item of clothing that is acceptable for you to wear is some kind of trousers, while the remaining half of the population can wear pretty much whatever takes their fancy?

Skirts should have a place in everyone's wardrobe, regardless of sex.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

For me skirts are a comfort thing, I wear skirts around the house and when working outside because I find them comfortable and prefer not to have anything between my legs that I wasn't born with. However I wear trousers to work even though they now know I wear skirts. When travelling I will often wear skirts as they are just more comfortable. I have worn skirts out and about in and around my village but these days more often than not I will throw a pair of jeans on instead. There is definitely less mental stress when you conform to the local standards, although the once I got questioned about wearing a kilt in the local shop (it was actually a denim cargo skirt) there was no malice.
Apart from comfort and the feel of a skirt, right from the start I have always been curious about how different types of skirt feel and how they affect the way you move, so I have long skirts, tight skirts, and just about every type of skirt available for a large and tall person, as well as a couple of traditional kilts which I also love to wear, but only occasionally as they are very heavy and expensive.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Holly

I have opted for option 1 but option 2 is also important but with only one option allowed, the first would rank slightly higher. Options 3 to 7 do not apply.

You have contacted me direct via my website asking if you could send me some interview questions for your dissertation. I have replied stating by all means. I have had several students over the years contact me with regards dissertations on fashion.

Good luck with your studies.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Some members have indicated that they were curious about skirts/dresses when they were boys. One question-what is it like to wear such garments? Another question-why aren't males allowed to wear such garments?

I didn't voice these questions to others, however. Boys weren't supposed to be interested in skirts.