Why do mens kilts have to look so masculine

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why do mens kilts have to look so masculine

Post by Caultron »

If you have it in your head that kilts are masculine garments, then they're going to seem masculine. Tautology.

But what would a non-masculine kilt be? Pink or some other pastel? Flowers? Lace edges? (!) Shorter? Wrapping in the other direction? I'm sure you can buy all those things, or at least have them made.

Or would it then not be a kilt?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Caultron wrote:
But what would a non-masculine kilt be? Pink or some other pastel? Flowers? Lace edges? (!) Shorter? Wrapping in the other direction? I'm sure you can buy all those things, or at least have them made.

Or would it then not be a kilt?
The Madras Kilt was almost, but not quite. There was even an X Marks thread regarding this garment. So, conceivably, the skirt could have been accepted as a part of kilting.

As I recall, members posted doubts about the skirt fitting men.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:The Madras Kilt was almost, but not quite. There was even an X Marks thread regarding this garment. So, conceivably, the skirt could have been accepted as a part of kilting.

As I recall, members posted doubts about the skirt fitting men.
I dunno, I googled "madras kilt" and they all seems rather, um, plaid.

To me, a kilt is a knee-length wrap-around skirt pleated on the sides and back, overlapping aprons on the front. If it's wool with a traditional Celtic plaid, it's tartan. If it has pockets or any other fabric or pattern, it's a utility kilt. There may be other differentiators as well.

Women's kilt skirts tend to be shorter with aprons that open on the left rather than the right, but that leaves open the question of whether those are kilt-like skirts or skirt-like kilts.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

And then there is the Great Kilt. And the utility garments are a fairly recent innovation. So it would seem that the general category of "kilts" allows some variation.
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

Never forgetting the so called utility kilt.
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hillaryskirt,
I must confess that I don't recall seeing this thread before.
Oddly, the answer lies in its very title.
I would advocate great caution in asking that question.
The Kilt Police would certainly take an unhealthy interest in the answer.
Steve.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

If kilts get "feminized", it would cause uproar for the kilted masses, and would remove that obvious stepping stone for the majority of guys into an unbifurcated garment. 8)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:20 pm I must confess that I don't recall seeing this thread before
I didn't realize this thread even existed, and hell... apparently I've made a few comments in it! :o

It's nice to see I still pretty much hold the same opinion now as then.

Femininity is not kryptonite to me. Some of my stuff remains feminine, other stuff doesn't. I still don't own a kilt, and still have zero desire to obtain one.

So.... I can be feminine at times, lady like, giiiiiiirrrly.... meh.... it is what it is...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Very privately I like frills, but anywhere else my thighs have to be more-or-less covered. Knee-length is where it's at for me and therefore kilts remain in the frame. I like the swing, but not the sporran, so a belt will suffice to hold my spreading waist in check. I like flat fronts, too.

The red one was spotted on a spotty youth not long ago and he looked fine. The grey one, recently acquired was marketed as a 'ladies' kilted skirt, but a bespoke option was right-handed closure, so it qualifies as a man's kilt and is lightweight. Up in my garage loft are several kilts made from tartan-patterned lead, 8-yarders and the like, which I probably will never wear again. I packed one not long ago on a flight to Germany, made of lightweight viscose and it looked perfectly masculine. The footwear helps, of course.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Femininity is not kryptonite to me. Some of my stuff remains feminine, other stuff doesn't. I still don't own a kilt, and still have zero desire to obtain one.
Moon, as you well know my ethnicity is Scots and I would echo that sentiment 100%.
If kilts get "feminized", it would cause uproar for the kilted masses, and would remove that obvious stepping stone for the majority of guys into an unbifurcated garment
New to Skirts
The proportion of guys wearing kilts who are likely to graduate to wider skirt wearing is likely to be substantially smaller than you seem to imagine. There is already much hysteria among the self proclaimed purists around some of the more progressive designs which have surfaced over recent years. In their eyes, the UK is merely a skirt with no masculine attributes, regardless of what is said by its own fan base.

Tom, interesting photos but did you have "Spotty Youth's" agreement to take and publish his likeness?

Steve.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Stevie,
Yes, the skinny youth and I had a brief chat in which I admitted to having photographed him. As with most youth, he is immersed in social media and joked that my picture would probably 'go viral'. So I didn't keep it to myself, no more than that with my Shanty-Choir friend on the Segelschiff 'Ryvar'.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

new2skirts wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:07 pm If kilts get "feminized", it would cause uproar for the kilted masses, and would remove that obvious stepping stone for the majority of guys into an unbifurcated garment.
It begs the question, if kilts get feminized, do they cease to become kilts at all?

Tom, you know I'm not really a "kilt guy" (not that I mind them, I just don't get as excited about them as others tend to do), but photo number 3 suits you well!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:59 pm
new2skirts wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:07 pm If kilts get "feminized", it would cause uproar for the kilted masses, and would remove that obvious stepping stone for the majority of guys into an unbifurcated garment.
It begs the question, if kilts get feminized, do they cease to become kilts at all?

Tom, you know I'm not really a "kilt guy" (not that I mind them, I just don't get as excited about them as others tend to do), but photo number 3 suits you well!
I think the kilt is great as a traditional garment (generally worn by most for special occasions, also expensive), the various interpretations (S-Kilt, Utilikilts etc) are a good stepping stone (I find the front aprons too narrow)... some younger guys are just going straight for jean skirts as they are a fraction of the price, still look masculine in a straight shape... but this generation does away with gender so for most, the prohibitive thing with kilts is the cost. A good kilt suit (jacket, waistcoat, kilt all matching) is in the region of £900. A good kilt starts from £200. There are cheaper ones on ebay, but those sites are awash with inferior c##p anyway.

Lets see if people are even allowed outside, let alone in a skirt or kilt next year...

Other skirt types allow for a more feminine interpretation, if required. I would just wear what goes with a skirt, the hose, underwear, shoes as it is just what one does. Wearing tights with a kilt would be jarring and kind of disrespecting the garment and its associated traditions. I can't see the "masculine forcefield" around kilts being disarmed any time soon :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

When people think of kilts what comes to mind? Bag pipers, highland games, marching band in a parade, military kilt.
I get asked so many times when in kilts if i play the pipes, The traditional kilts people together with history.

When it comes to utility kilts most have a purpose. Main one is to have a strong material that will last when working.
The look has changed some over the years, The plain black wedding modern utility kilts is a good example of changes.
Alot of company's popped up making cheaper ones and adding studs chains and buckles to the look, The material got cheaper.
And it became a look at me new with this added,

The mens utility kits took the look and ran with it, The look of the kilt it self was geared to men that wear kilts and for men that do not wear then to go ya thats a Kilt that looks tough and manly and maybe get into wearing them.
That sets them up to have a more masculine look.

But u can still get a bear clean simple Kilt, The running and hiking kilts have done well.
And there are more light weight walking kilts on the market now then ever b4,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

The majority of these kilts are made with ripstop material and are extremely light compared to traditional kilts.

https://www.utkilts.com/utility-kilt/

I have several and next to Purple Rain skirts these are my favorite.