Why do mens kilts have to look so masculine

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Re: Why do mens kilts have to look so masculine

Post by Epiceneguy »

I can't really answer your question, I do have a kilt and absolutely love taking my dog for a walk in it (me not the dog!).
I have to confess that when I'm out and about in it I do feel quite masculine which I found strange (especially as I wear it with a slip, don't tell the kilt brigade, they'd hunt me down, lol), I think it must have something to do with all the historical propaganda of Rob Roy and the likes, kilted and living wild amongst the heather (those romantic Victorians were great people but also have a hell of a lot to answer for, lol) something that probably wouldn't have gone down so well if he'd been represented wearing a ballgown :D
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

The use of a kilt or skirt also depends on the activities te be carried out. When working in the garden I do tend to wear my utility kilt as it will protect modesty while giving the comfort to work or even more than trousers. I have one from a Pakistani outfit, which has the problem of near east inches instead of the UK/US inches (they quickly provided one that did fit). The other is a garden utility kilt from Bläkläder (to bad they don't carry it anymore). The last one has an enviromental aspect to it also, it's made of former PET bottles... thus it's sturdy.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

When King George IV visited Scotland in 1821 he had a meeting with the Clan Chiefs..
On that occasion he wore pink tights as part of his kilt outfit.
Never mind the purists being upset that would have been plain offensive to the Highlanders.
Monday was St Andrews Day and I wore my own version of a kilt, the tights scarlet and ankle boots black.
I don't think I gave the kilt police much thought actually and never saw any anyway,
Ironic to think that it is more widely recognised in America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand Etc than it is here in Scotland.
Perhaps the Tartan Gestapo were on patrol there.
Steve.
Skaterboy

Post by Skaterboy »

It's great to see the boundaries of what counts as 'kilt' style being challenged. I have discovered tights, and wear them often with shorts. (They also diminish any potential visual offence of a man in a short skirt!) Women's kilt-skirts tend to be lighter and shorter than traditional men's kilts, and can work quite well with tights. You can challenge any perception of 'femininity' by adding chunky socks and sturdy footwear, and a masculine sweater or jacket. Modern utility kilts now appear in a huge variety of fabrics. Just need to reduce the pleating gradually and progressively. No one will notice, and before you know it anything will count as a kilt he he!

The other way to go is with a 'cargo' or 'utility' skirt. I have a few of these - they look like cargo shorts, but unbifurcated - one in black and a couple in 'army green', with the usual tapes/zips/studs styling. There is nothing intrinsically 'feminine' in those, and they are much lighter and easier to wear casually than a 'kilt' of any type.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Molecule-Kha ... Swr5Zals~K
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

Skaterboy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:50 am
The other way to go is with a 'cargo' or 'utility' skirt. I have a few of these - they look like cargo shorts, but unbifurcated - one in black and a couple in 'army green', with the usual tapes/zips/studs styling. There is nothing intrinsically 'feminine' in those, and they are much lighter and easier to wear casually than a 'kilt' of any type.
Good stuff, Skaterboy. And I really like your bit at the end about the utility skirts. The link is fascinating and they are called 'women's skirts' (that again!). Fun though, great experimental clothing fashion styles for all of us. And I do mean all of us. :roll: :lol: :D
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Ok Guys so today I will don a red skirt, navy jersey, tights and tan boots.
The outfit is neither masculine or feminine.
It is simply my choice, the rest is of no importance, it just does not matter.
The kilt like any other garment is totally subject to the whims of fashion,
Some of it's previous iterations included a plethora of lace accessories that might be considered en femme by some of our self appointed purists.
Clothes do not have gender.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Skaterboy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:50 am The other way to go is with a 'cargo' or 'utility' skirt. I have a few of these - they look like cargo shorts, but unbifurcated - one in black and a couple in 'army green', with the usual tapes/zips/studs styling. There is nothing intrinsically 'feminine' in those, and they are much lighter and easier to wear casually than a 'kilt' of any type.
I'm sorry, but that is one ugly skirt (in my humble opinion).... it looks like a dufflebag standing upright...

Sorry... I don't want to offend anyone... but... not for me.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:20 pm Hillaryskirt,
I must confess that I don't recall seeing this thread before.
Oddly, the answer lies in its very title.
I would advocate great caution in asking that question.
The Kilt Police would certainly take an unhealthy interest in the answer.
Steve.
Thanks, Steve. I've only just seen this, 5 months late to the party. I blame the pandemic. :)
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I don't own any actual kilts. However, a fair number of my skirts do have what I would call a kilt like vibe. One is an A-Line wool skirt in a broad, diagonal plaid, (not tartan) Another is also wool, but a simple wrap skirt in 3, horizontal bands, Black/Red/Black. A third is cotton, (I think) moderately heavy, in sort of an army green, and has several bands of pleats. I chose them because they didn't look particularly feminine, but to me, they are quite obviously not kilts. Doesn't seem to matter, they have been called kilts much more often than skirts. Indeed, more than once, I have been "corrected" when I described them as skirts.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I think its because they are a kilt by definition almost.
They're not my personal choice - but then that's why there are skirts.....
I have never worn a kilt out - I have tried one on but it was very heavy and didn't really sort of sit on me well. It was way heavier than my usual skirts. I prefer a skirt - and I have worn a skirt version of a kilt out a lot - I like plaid/ tweed check pattern skirts - but then they are lighter to wear and are nicely lined and fitted which is more my style.

I think the very reason that kilts are more blokey is because they are supposed to be...
There's a skirt style out there to suit everyone's taste I'm sure!

cheers
NZF
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:58 am I think the very reason that kilts are more blokey is because they are supposed to be...
There's a skirt style out there to suit everyone's taste I'm sure!
Absolutely NZ and it is all based on a myth constructed by some very astute Scottish politicians and businessmen.
To paraphrase, a skirts a skirt for aw' that.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I bring the question. If you want a feminine looking kilt. Perhaps you should just get a skirt?

I wish more people saw the kilt as masculine. I still meet far too many that see a kilt as a feminine skirt. After all it is not pants and we know all men just wear pants right :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: .
At least that is what we have been told.

The kilt is more masculine than most skirts, of course the sporran and wide leather belt help reinforce that.

If there was a scale of 1 to 10 In my mind's eye I would
Rank a men's tartan kilt more feminine than a say a plain denim Knee length skirt

Sort of something of this effect ( my opinion s)

1 billowy taffeta pink floral print skirt ( Disney princess ish)

2 thru 3 other skirts (feminine colors or designs)
4 pleated skirts
5 women's tartan kilts
6 men's tartan kilts
7 solid, dark colored a line skirts
8 women's jeans/ men's skinny jeans
9 plain knee length denim skirts/ utility kilts
10 men's denim jeans

I'm my experiences the knee length denim skirt gets less acknowledged attention than a kilt.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

misha, don't let the kilt police read your entry. Only no. 6! You'd be in line for a "Glasgow kiss".
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I agree!

There is NOTHING more masculine than wearing a kilt! I’ve been around the world on one, and wearing it is like wearing a superhero costume (okay, I’m imagining now!). You feel invincible in a kilt. It’s hyper-masculine.

Denim jeans? Masculine? No chance! Look how many women wear them ;-)
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Here's a masculine video of a guy in a kilt. https://youtu.be/HkV7-jf1pEM A few comment make fun of it.