Genuine reactions....

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Genuine reactions....

Post by Caultron »

Andy_G wrote:It was if I'm honest a total non-event, but I've been wondering since would it have been the same had I been wearing a skirt. Just had a wander round a park and the the town centre. Lots of people around and all just went about their business not batting an eyelid. I went into TJ Maxx and browsed through the dresses. Didn't buy anything but it was perfectly obvious I was looking for myself! Again, not even a second glance!! I think I'll maybe need to try wearing a skirt next time.
I think you'll find little if any difference. Try it!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Andy, it wouldn't have mattered so wear the skirt next time. Project confidence and you'll be ok.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

If you can wear a/skirt in the north of Scotland as I do and get no reaction the whole if the UK is OK. Apart from a couple of people saying "wow" the only reactions have been from American tourists when I wore a skirt to a castle by Loch Ness. They looked a bit astonished but didn't say anything - Brits pretend not to notice. Go for it.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

rivegauche wrote:If you can wear a/skirt in the north of Scotland as I do and get no reaction the whole if the UK is OK. Apart from a couple of people saying "wow" the only reactions have been from American tourists when I wore a skirt to a castle by Loch Ness. They looked a bit astonished but didn't say anything - Brits pretend not to notice. Go for it.
Sorry 'bout them 'merican tourist barbarians. We're they fat and wearing Hawaiian shirts and plaid shorts?

One of these centuries we're gonna get all civilized and stuff.

At least I hope so.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Andy

I wear skirts all the time except for most DIY, most Fell walking and my garden business due to practicality. I do go everywhere, including dentists, doctors, hospital patient etc etc. I wear more than skirts. Photos on my site.

On the whole there is no problem. The vast majority walk on by, and talk to me, sometimes the skirt is part of question, but the conversation is just as if I was a man in trousers. A small minority will look and stare, some long stares, but haven't we all stared momentarily when something different appears, usually not obviously. A few of these will giggle and let you know they are talking about you but that's it. No one has ever challenged me and I get far more compliments and positive talk about my attire than the stupid negative ones. If someone passes an opinion not at me but loud enough to hear I speak louder in a general conversation for them to hear about womens attire, again not directly but I will orchestrate my conversation to casually drop in an opinion. They always shut up.

The secret is to stand tall, shoulders back, act confident, be proud of you, yourself the individual. What you are doing is causing no harm or illegal. You are just being different, that's all.

Good luck. Enjoy it. It is fun as well as your freedom of choice/expression.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

The black kilt was a good start. Mine get a lot of use simply because there's generally no reaction - after all, as you say, wearing a kilt is no big deal. There is a different euphoria to sporting a skirt as obviously a kilt is a man's garment anyway...why wouldn't a man wear one? I only got as far as the common denim knee length, and although people take little notice the easy feel of it, without all those pleats on kilts flopping about, is a different game altogether. I think you'll find a skirt more appealing if you're looking for reactions - though, again, you might not get many. I don't know how many here wear skirts or kilts in order to turn heads, however simply preferring wearing them, and not trousers, is my own intention.

Pete
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I don't exactly strut about looking for attention, but it is interesting to see how others around me react.

I take the positive and neutral reactions as victories and overcoming the negative ones as greater.

caultron
Andy_G

Post by Andy_G »

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for reactions. Indeed I was hoping that the numerous threads about the lack of reactions were all true!!! I'm just hoping for the day that I'll be able to decide without worry to wear a skirt. Was a promising start. I'll need to find the right thing to wear. I've never really been a huge fan of denim skirts, preferring something a little smarter. Generally like plain coloured maxi or midi skirts.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

There's certainly plenty of choice out there. Many times more than with pants.

Pete
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Andy_G wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for reactions. Indeed I was hoping that the numerous threads about the lack of reactions were all true!!! I'm just hoping for the day that I'll be able to decide without worry to wear a skirt. Was a promising start. I'll need to find the right thing to wear. I've never really been a huge fan of denim skirts, preferring something a little smarter. Generally like plain coloured maxi or midi skirts.
Whatever makes you feel best and most confident is what you should wear.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Andy, if you take time to look at the Pics and Looks section and other photos interleaved in the narratives you'll see that for the the most part we have each developed our individual looks. Carl's, Moon's, mine are different for different reasons and, while there may be some commonality, I don't think that either of us sees copying the other as viable as much as we like the looks. You have to search yourself for what skirts you feel comfortable in and adopt that as your look. When you get that then I think that you can finally relax and enjoy the skirts for what they are and you can don a skirt without thinking because you'll know that you are finally comfortable with what you wear. You're not keen on denim and that's fine as nobody says that you have to only wear denim skirts. They are useful in certain situations, that's all.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

In my part of denim, sorry...Devon, it's mainly tourism and farming. A little light industry, but nothing much else apart from some of the best of Britain's coastal scenery.
On any one day here, from the waist down the populace favours basically a sea of faded blue, sometimes ripped at the knee to reveal tanned and weathered kneecaps. which tends to marry well with the sea, barnacles, surfing, and fine golden beach sand getting everywhere - in the car, between your toes and adding a salty crunch to sandwiches. Anything overly stylish or too smart, especially a skirt worn by a man (largely unthinkable in these rural hills and valleys where vets continually have their arms up the rear ends of dairy cows), would be way way out of my comfort zone.
So I dress in the accepted blue camouflage that's seemingly been a part of unwritten Devonshire law for decades, and can't see me shifting from that image any time soon. It suits the purposes of comfort, which is all I'm looking for. Were I to be living in a city the situation might be a lot different, and more exciting clothingwise, but I have no intention of moving again. I do also have khaki and brown denim, being slightly eccentric. But more often than not a kilt is my daily choice.

Pete
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I can fully understand your never wanting to move away from N. Denim, Pete. It's one of Nature's golden gems and fortunately well served with roads &c.
I have two lots of 1st cousins farming there and a daughter & her family living (admittedly) in S. Devon. But that's no bad thing. They're up on the moors and you can see both Tamar bridges from their front door!

Furthermore, were you to move away, what would all your 'Thomas the tank engines' do without the (fat) Controller? I know all too well, Gordon the main line engine would take over and make Life hell for all the lesser engines in the shed. :blue:

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Fat Controller here. You've obviously clocked my current waistline Tom. Finding denim skirts to fit me without looking like an old fart in drag is becoming an issue. But somehow the kilt kind of looks ok with a pregnant look.

Pete
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Sorry Pete!

I didn't know you were struggling with 'the flab'. Catering for one has always been difficult and you may well routinely over-cater. When I'm fending for myself I usually buy in far too much food.
Kilts because of their wrap design are generally more accommodating than skirts. The velcro waist fastening on Sportkilts is the slickest yet and they can be put on and shed again in an instant.
My life-long formula for shedding ingested calories is regular galley-slaving outings with up to eight other like-minded geriatrics. Take yesterday in point....At 0804 we're all aboard our slim 60-footer with an engine five times her weight and we push off the slip. The outing is about 15Km in total, covered at varying pressures but at this time of year containing some sprint/race-pace pieces. Best speed on a rowing eight is about 13 knots.
We return to the slip 90 mins later all wrung out like wet dogs. A luxurious strong hot shower revives the spirits, a banana staves off immediate hunger and a couple of Magnesium salt pills stave off leg cramps
Regular doses of that year round have succeeded largely in keeping my waistline at around 34. I also have a crucifixion/torture chamber in my garage loft, visited three times weekly, where the scenery is a lot less interesting than outings on the water!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !