If you like it, wear it....

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

If you like it, wear it....

Post by Darryl »

Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: If you like it, wear it....

Post by Caultron »

It's encouraging that articles like this keep coming out, but they don't seem to be whipping up any converts.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
DonP

Post by DonP »

Caultron wrote:It's encouraging that articles like this keep coming out, but they don't seem to be whipping up any converts.
Exactly! What's it gonna take?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I posted a comment and added a shout for Skirtcafe as well. Let them know there are a lot of men who wear skirts and we like it. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

As it is said in the article:

”All that needs to happen for men to be 'allowed' to wear dresses (for example) is men starting to wear dresses.”

To make something happen, make it. Let’s see men appearing manly in skirts. That is what is needed.

(In my opinion the world is not yet ready fór men in dresses, should it be taken seriously).
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

DonP wrote:
Caultron wrote:It's encouraging that articles like this keep coming out, but they don't seem to be whipping up any converts.
The Nuclear Option

Leather Combat Thongs.

People will cry out "Anything but that! Please put a skirt on!" 8)
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Darryl wrote:
DonP wrote:
The Nuclear Option

Leather Combat Thongs.

People will cry out "Anything but that! Please put a skirt on!" 8)
READY!!!
http-%2F%2Fa.amz.mshcdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F01%2FZardoz-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Even if men switch to skirts only as a protest during heatwaves, it's still a valuable opportunity to show in the national newspapers, and on TV news programmes, that they actually don't look wrong in skirts.

Pete
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

mugman wrote:Even if men switch to skirts only as a protest during heatwaves, it's still a valuable opportunity to show in the national newspapers, and on TV news programmes, that they actually don't look wrong in skirts.

Pete
You are right - I do think that if men see other ordinary men wearing skirts they are more likely to do so in the future. "Look he's wearing it and no one has said anything".

This is more so then relying on the fashion industry to peddle out unwearable stuff.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

I was going to mention unwearable designs, but glad you did anyway. And most of those designs are usually catwalked by models who look like they've spent three hours in front of a mirror in an effort to make it look theatrical. In my humble opinion the plainer the skirt the better, at least until the common sense of it has become established.

Pete
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I think it will have to 'bubble up' like air bubbles coming to the top of a cooking pancake.

A small handful of leavening...1 to 3 guys in dispersed geographical areas just being themselves...mostly normal guys just being comfortable in skirts out and about interacting with waiters, waitresses, store clerks, cashiers, etc. as they live normal lives. Then...perhaps...something will trigger them...TV news report, print article, whatever...and the thought...you know, that guy I saw back when....he was normal enough, until he stood up to leave....and even then he just said his goodbyes and walked out the door like anyone else. Then a few percent of those folks wear a kilt, or in some cases, a skirt and the cycle repeats....

The Long View, certainly, but without some triggering event or charismatic leader I doubt we'll see any kind of sudden large-scale changes. Now...if we get another band like The Beatles...and they all wear skirts on stage and hang with Jaden Smith...some may copy them and more so if they wear skirted garments off-stage as well....now and then, at least. Some kind of Super-Stars or Super-Models or Super-Celebrity might be able to trigger it. Maybe not. There is a lot of inertial and societal programming to overcome.

I have some old photos with bangs and my "Beatle" bass....well, it's a little worse for wear, but I still play it now and then...
Beatlebass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mugman wrote:Even if men switch to skirts only as a protest during heatwaves, it's still a valuable opportunity to show in the national newspapers, and on TV news programmes, that they actually don't look wrong in skirts.
"There's no such thing as bad publicity."
P. T. Barnum
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

I had seen and read both articles and posted comment on Metro.

Men in skirts will never become main stream like women in trousers, the image is too much for most men but men in skirts is steadily increasing both on the internet and in real life. I have noted this in the 7 years I have been public in a skirt.

Articles about MIS come and go depending on situations but each time I try to join in and push the message.

In the meantime, I just carry on as me, in my life.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

TheSkirtedMan wrote:Articles about MIS come and go depending on situations but each time I try to join in and push the message. In the meantime, I just carry on as me, in my life.
That is all we can do. Try to push the message and be our selves. I wear skirts all of the time and anywhere I go will be in a skirt. I no longer worry who sees me and how they react to me, I AM ME, I WEAR SKIRTS GET OVER IT!!! That is the attitude I work with and it does work. :twisted:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Try to push the message and be our selves. I wear skirts all of the time and anywhere I go will be in a skirt. I no longer worry who sees me and how they react to me, I AM ME, I WEAR SKIRTS GET OVER IT!!! That is the attitude I work with and it does work. :twisted:
I am not sure if "push" is the right verb to be using here because it carries with it much baggage including shrillness and sometimes overt nastiness -- neither of which are attractive or even remotely compelling. The latter approach of simply and unapologetically one's self is vastly more compelling and attractive to an onlooker. Now, the onlooker can shrug it off, gripe about it, or embrace it -- but that's on the onlooker not the practitioner. All we can do is be ourselves, because once we stray off that we will lose our own confidence.

I suspect the best motto might be one used by some producer of overpriced Chinese trainers -- "Just do it."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!