Walked at lake (and new on this forum)

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Eevee

Walked at lake (and new on this forum)

Post by Eevee »

I'm pretty new to wearing skirts. Today I got the courage to drive to a lake early in the morning and walked around it in a skirt and black tights.
I own a couple of skirts, but they are a little tight (and show a little too much).
When I saw an old school skirt lying around this morning I quickly borrowed it for a few hours :)

When walking I wasn't sure whether it's actually appropriate to wear a school skirt as a guy (I'm in my mid twenties).
But I liked the skirt and was a good decent size.

I passed several people, nobody said anything. One one men said "good morning", just like I was the 25th guy in a skirt walking by :)

This was at a lake, anyone else here who knows how open minded people in this state usually are? I'm a little afraid to go to Walmart or to busy parts of the city.

I've walked once before in a skirt and black tights from one side of a shopping mall in Atlanta to the other side while walking through some stores to look at skirts. That was really scary and on the other side quickly changed back into my jeans. I didn't had the courage to walk the same way back through the mall, since everybody must have seen me (and didn't wanted to give them a second chance to take pictures)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Walked at lake (and new on this forum)

Post by Sinned »

Welcome to the site. We all go through this period of uncertainty - it gets the adrenaline going and the heart rate soaring. But we soon learn that people either don't notice and/or don't care. I saw a guy in store today with tattoos all over, an over-large T-shirt half hanging off his shoulders and his hair must have had dreadlocks in it but it was all held up by a hair clip. If he had been dragged through a hedge backwards and upwards he would have looked tidier. I would have more of a sense of shame looking like that than wearing a skirt. With examples like that on the street we have no need to worry.

As for how safe it is where you are then Moon is probably you best guide as he is in the east coast area and travels about a fair deal.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Welcome to the board and congratulations on your outing, S -*-*-1. It sounds like a complete success!

I'm no expert on fashion attitudes on Tennessee but I don't think anyone who's ever been on this board got beaten up for wearing a skit. A frown or an eye-roll usually the worst you're going to get, and even those are rare. The more common problem is your own fear and lack of confidence, which tend to magnify any negative vibes you do get. And don't forget, you're never going to please all the people all the time, no matter what you wear.

As to a school uniform skirt, I don't see a problem. It's just a plaid skirt, right? But don't go whole hog with a complete schoolgirl costume, which might be seen as a fetish.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:

Welcome to the forum S-*-*-1. :ciao: I live in a smallish town in South Carolina and I wear skirts all of the time. I have traveled to many states and cities in my skirt, and I have never had a BAD experience. I have traveled to Denver on an airplane and through airports with out a single problem. I find that all of the fear is self generated and not real for most of us. To quote a former President "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" It has been almost 2 years since I put on a pair of pants or shorts. My advise is wear your skirts any place or any time you wish no one will care, most will not even notice. :thumleft: As for someone taking your picture don't worry about it. I have had my picture taken several times and have never seen one show up yet that I did not post myself. :angel:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Eevee

Post by Eevee »

No I would definitely not wear a whole schoolgirl outfit. Just a plaid skirt with black tights.

I recognize this fear a lot. I've been through it before a long time ago. When I go swimming I always wear one piece swimsuits. Just as a guy, and just a normal looking one you would expect while swimming laps. The very first time I was extremely afraid, but right now (after probably more than 100 hours of swimming) I know nobody cares :)
Even in waterparks I wore it, and again... as long as you're not showing any fear 99% of the people won't care. And the few that care are actually interested sometimes and just want to know more about it.

So when I first wore a skirt I recognized the feeling exactly (while in fact 99% of the world doesn't care or just gives a quick look)

But I still have to grow my courage with skirts, since I haven't worn them more than just a few times. I think it gets easier every time.
Eevee

Post by Eevee »

@Fred Have you maybe been to Atlanta before? In that city I was really close to wearing my skirt in public, but couldn't find the courage to get out of the bathroom stall in my skirt. I was thinking about visiting the Aquarium in downtown. But it was really busy that day and once I realized people were waiting in line for my bathroom stall I freaked out quickly put my jeans back on.

I did wear a skirt in the mall for about 10 minutes. I visited 21 Forever and thought it was really cool to just be looking at skirts while wearing a skirt.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Eevee wrote:@Fred Have you maybe been to Atlanta before? In that city I was really close to wearing my skirt in public, but couldn't find the courage to get out of the bathroom stall in my skirt. I was thinking about visiting the Aquarium in downtown. But it was really busy that day and once I realized people were waiting in line for my bathroom stall I freaked out quickly put my jeans back on.
I did wear a skirt in the mall for about 10 minutes. I visited 21 Forever and thought it was really cool to just be looking at skirts while wearing a skirt.
Yes Eevee, I have been to Hotlanta also Savannah, and Augusta and in a skirt and did not have the least bit of trouble. Since I have been in skirts and only skirts I found out that nobody really cares and most are so wrapped up in their own worlds that they don't even notice you. Just pull your self up and do it, go out in your skirt, go shopping at the grocery store, the drug store, visit the doctor I do all of these and more skirted.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Bowtie

Post by Bowtie »

Hi eevee,

I don't think there is a problem with your skirt being a school skirt, indeed a couple of the ones I have in my collection are school skirts. Obviously as others have said I wouldn't recommend going for a full school 'outfit' but wearing a skirt on its own shouldn't be a problem!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Eevee wrote:...when I first wore a skirt I recognized the feeling exactly (while in fact 99% of the world doesn't care or just gives a quick look)

But I still have to grow my courage with skirts, since I haven't worn them more than just a few times. I think it gets easier every time.
Exactly. You're definitely on the right track.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Eevee wrote:I'm pretty new to wearing skirts. Today I got the courage to drive to a lake early in the morning and walked around it in a skirt and black tights.
I own a couple of skirts, but they are a little tight (and show a little too much).

When walking I wasn't sure whether it's actually appropriate to wear a school skirt as a guy (I'm in my mid twenties).
But I liked the skirt and was a good decent size.
Welcome to the forum, Eevee.

Forget about too small and revealing skirts. They are not appropriate. But of course you can wear a pleated skirt like your sister's school skirt. It is unusual to see a man in a skirt, but that's it. People who don't know you couldn't care less. That is, I think, what every man wearing skirts on a more regular basis will tell you. I wonder, however, if black tights at this time of the year should not attract more attention than a skirt?
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Eevee

Post by Eevee »

It was around 6.30am in the morning when I walked at that lake. During the day when its close to 90 degrees it would have been really hot to wear tights, but at that time it was still pretty cool outside.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

We're to the point here in Phoenix where nights average about 75° F and days are around 105° . This is hot enough that women, even if they're wearing skirts or dresses, almost never wear hosiery. And I do wear tights less often because of that. But when I wear tights anyway, I get little or no reaction. The impact of tights is about 1% compared to that of the skirt and heels.

caultron
jmiller842
Distinguished Member

Post by jmiller842 »

Hello Eevee. One of the most exhilarating experiences is to go shopping for skirt while wearing a skirt. It feels very natural and you will get much better service from the sales associates than if you were wearing pants. In fact, shopping for skirts while wearing pants will make you feel more self-conscious than wearing a skirt. It's a great confidence builder. Go for it!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

jmiller842 wrote:Hello Eevee. One of the most exhilarating experiences is to go shopping for skirt while wearing a skirt. It feels very natural and you will get much better service from the sales associates than if you were wearing pants. In fact, shopping for skirts while wearing pants will make you feel more self-conscious than wearing a skirt. It's a great confidence builder. Go for it!
I can vouch for that!! :sunny: I am always skirted when I go shopping and it makes it a lot easier for the sales people as they know it is for you. :thumright:
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Museums, state, and national parks are good places to begin wearing a skirt. Most people who visit them are polite and you will become comfortable and at ease there. I was in Walmart recently and tried on two skirt and paid for them at the cashier. No one noticed me or cared, including the lady at the fitting room or the cashier. No one noticed me inside or in the parking lot.

I do suggest museums, state, and national parks, then gas stations and convenience stores, grocery stores, and other public places. Another good one is a book store or art gallery.