Skirt Superpowers

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Skirt Superpowers

Post by Daryl »

Hey folks, have we had this topic yet, and if not, let's have it!

A skirt superpower is some ability a skirt gives you that you don't get with trousers. I can think of two things that qualify.

1. Having a built-in surface. I am constantly taking advantage of this myself. The fabric between my legs has been used for everything from holding a sandwich to sorting my change to hand the clerk at a drive through window. Every time I use it like this I am astonished that I basically wasted the rest of my life not having this facility with me at all times.

2. Being able to use public facilities without dipping any garments in the ooze that is so often on the floor around them.
Daryl...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Superpowers

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Not having to mess with a zipper when standing at the urinals. Less chance of injuring yourself too. As with all things your mileage may vary!! :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

When camping in a small tent, in a kneeling position you can pull a skirt on over your head instead of having to struggle into trousers in a semi-horizontal position.

In a campsite shower, pulling a skirt over your head is much easier than trying to balance on one leg at a time, keeping your trousers out of the wet and trying to drag them on over damp clingy skin.

There is much less risk of losing a contact lens if you have to take one out when sitting in a car or van.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

pelmut wrote:When camping in a small tent, in a kneeling position you can pull a skirt on over your head instead of having to struggle into trousers in a semi-horizontal position.

In a campsite shower, pulling a skirt over your head is much easier than trying to balance on one leg at a time, keeping your trousers out of the wet and trying to drag them on over damp clingy skin.

There is much less risk of losing a contact lens if you have to take one out when sitting in a car or van.
What size are you? I have no skirt which could pass over my shoulders! (Pause for thought and some experimentation), well spank my bottom and call me Susan! you are right, my khaki Style J ankle/floor length skirt has just left my body via the feet, only to land on my head and with a few contortions make it's way back down to where it seems happiest. I honestly thought it would never get past my shoulders.
I settled on a plan B and bought a tent with enough headroom for me to stand up in. It's a 4 man Khyam with hinged exoskeleton, too big to take on a motorbike, but when I bought it I had no thoughts of getting back onto a motorsickle.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:What size are you? I have no skirt which could pass over my shoulders! (Pause for thought and some experimentation), well spank my bottom and call me Susan! you are right, my khaki Style J ankle/floor length skirt has just left my body via the feet, only to land on my head and with a few contortions make it's way back down to where it seems happiest. I honestly thought it would never get past my shoulders.
Usually, Susan, you have to look forward to see how you're going to do things when you actually go to make the purchase. This is especially true if you wear petticoats under as it's way easier to toss the outer skirt over your head, catch it on the way down, and it pretty much positions itself without a lot of fussing trying to "get dressed from the outside".

Both of my long Mouse Works skirts are sized so (the elastic waist makes it easy) and the others that frequently get worn with pettis tend to have button-fastenings at the back that make the operation trivial -- undo one of, or both, buttons, grab the hem, line it up, and quite literally toss it up in the air so it comes down on you like a parachute. Stick your arms up in the interim, get ready to stop it where it needs stopping, snag it, do the fasteners, and you're good to go.

The problem with the above is that it works best if you're short or have high ceilings -- and I have neither, so I get to drop a bit by bending my knees at just the right moment and then arising to catch the skirt as it falls. If it sounds a bit like choreography, I suppose it is -- but it works.

"Up and over" definitely works. I also like having a large lap to catch small things I may drop so they never get to the floor (although I catch plenty of food that way; I am a coarse feeder)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Big and Bashful wrote:
pelmut wrote:When camping in a small tent, in a kneeling position you can pull a skirt on over your head instead of having to struggle into trousers in a semi-horizontal position.

What size are you? I have no skirt which could pass over my shoulders! (Pause for thought and some experimentation), well spank my bottom and call me Susan! you are right, my khaki Style J ankle/floor length skirt has just left my body via the feet, only to land on my head and with a few contortions make it's way back down to where it seems happiest. I honestly thought it would never get past my shoulders.
I settled on a plan B and bought a tent with enough headroom for me to stand up in. It's a 4 man Khyam with hinged exoskeleton, too big to take on a motorbike, but when I bought it I had no thoughts of getting back onto a motorsickle.
I am not going to mention "oily pickle" no matter how much Arlo Guthrie rhymebait you lay down, Susan. Not. Gonna. Do it.

I'm quite big but my legs can be stiff in the mornings so overhead dressing really helps in those times. Since I make all my own skirts and always put in belt loops, I can guarantee that I can get them on overhead and that they won't fall off me. I actually had that happen once when I'd lost weight and incorrectly thought a particular skirt could still stay up without a belt...
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

The talk of overhead dressing reminded me of another superpower: the power to don your underwear as the last item of clothing you put on while dressing and remove it as the first item when undressing. Not sure what this superpower is actually good for, but we've all used it many times, I'll wager.
Daryl...
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Daryl wrote:...
1. Having a built-in surface.
See also: http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 82#p153482
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Nope, can't do it ............. but a wrap skirt is better still for that situation.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Daryl wrote:The talk of overhead dressing reminded me of another superpower: the power to don your underwear as the last item of clothing you put on while dressing and remove it as the first item when undressing. Not sure what this superpower is actually good for, but we've all used it many times, I'll wager.
I have partly used that on a hot day when I had no underwear around home and then decided to go into to town.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Getting dressed, there is no chance of putting a leg in the wrong hole. One thing to watch with a skirt is to make sure it is straight, where pants and shorts are sort of self centering as they would be uncomfotable if twisted. Worst I heard of was a kilt on backwards! Although with a rear zip one can twist a skirt around to do up the zip - and twist it back.
I was repairing a window frame yesterday and got glue on my skirt, dropped it off and put another on, without removing my boots.
I haven't done it but I have seen it on youtube; changing skirts in public.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

The underwear point reminds me of swimwear. One can put one's swimsuit on in public then take off the skirt. When done, one can put the skirt on, then take the swimsuit off, all without showing things that someone might take offense at. There's a place I go fishing and swimming with a bike path going by. Most of the time no one else is around, but someone can quickly come up on you at any time. I use this technique regularly.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Daryl wrote:The talk of overhead dressing reminded me of another superpower: the power to don your underwear as the last item of clothing you put on while dressing and remove it as the first item when undressing. Not sure what this superpower is actually good for, but we've all used it many times, I'll wager.
Every morning. What is the point of putting on underwear when one of the first things you do each morning involves taking it off again.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

denimini wrote:...
I haven't done it but I have seen it on youtube; changing skirts in public.
Dead easy! I often wear a 'practical' denim skirt to a dance, then change into something lighter and more 'dancey' at the side of the dance floor in full view of anyone who happens to look.

Pull the new skirt up over the outside of the old one, making sure all the old one goes inside it. Just before you reach waistband level, undo the waistband catch/button/zip of the old skirt, hold the new skirt up by its waistband and shimmy about a bit, so that the old skirt starts to work its way down off the hips. Fasten the new skirt and let the old skirt fall on the floor - step out of it and pick it up.

Job done.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I am looking for a wrap skirt. It would be much easier to put on and take off while wearing hiking boots. My wife has on made by The North Face, which is not being offered now. We wear skirts when hiking. I would like a quick skirt to take off and put on. Does anyone have an idea where to buy a wrap skirt?