Asymmetric Wrap Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.

Re: Asymmetric Wrap Skirt

Postby crfriend » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:54 am

Grok wrote:I was wondering if "unisex" is the only option that is financially feasible.

Slapping the term "unisex" on the label is a guaranteed way to keep the average guy away from a design. They know what the code-word means.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 10466
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: Asymmetric Wrap Skirt

Postby Disaffected.citizen » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:37 am

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:I was wondering if "unisex" is the only option that is financially feasible.

Slapping the term "unisex" on the label is a guaranteed way to keep the average guy away from a design. They know what the code-word means.

I'm not sure about that. For all intents and purposes, I'd argue that, there are only two types of clothing: women's wear and unisex wear; it's just that the unisex wear is primarily labelled men's wear. Women happily pick and choose whatever pleases them; men generally feel constrained by what others (particularly their partners) will think and so (with some exceptions) only choose what they are told is "men's wear', although they already know the reality is that men's wear is unisex.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:16 am
Location: UK

Re: Asymmetric Wrap Skirt

Postby Grok » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:02 pm

Disaffected.citizen wrote:
crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:I was wondering if "unisex" is the only option that is financially feasible.

Slapping the term "unisex" on the label is a guaranteed way to keep the average guy away from a design. They know what the code-word means.

I'm not sure about that. For all intents and purposes, I'd argue that, there are only two types of clothing: women's wear and unisex wear; it's just that the unisex wear is primarily labelled men's wear. Women happily pick and choose whatever pleases them; men generally feel constrained by what others (particularly their partners) will think and so (with some exceptions) only choose what they are told is "men's wear', although they already know the reality is that men's wear is unisex.
Such irony-for many years I have worn unisex clothing without realizing it. :)
Last edited by Grok on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1799
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Asymmetric Wrap Skirt

Postby Darryl » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Disaffected.citizen wrote:
crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:I was wondering if "unisex" is the only option that is financially feasible.

Slapping the term "unisex" on the label is a guaranteed way to keep the average guy away from a design. They know what the code-word means.

I'm not sure about that. For all intents and purposes, I'd argue that, there are only two types of clothing: women's wear and unisex wear; it's just that the unisex wear is primarily labelled men's wear. Women happily pick and choose whatever pleases them; men generally feel constrained by what others (particularly their partners) will think and so (with some exceptions) only choose what they are told is "men's wear', although they already know the reality is that men's wear is unisex.


I would consider "unisex" styles, etc.

OTOH, I'd put as: there are only two viable marketing paths for everything but the jock strap (menswear). The brassiere, with the rising incidence of gynecomastia in an aging and perhaps over-medicated male population, along with those ladies who are lacking in endowment, has become "unisex." Everything else is marketed towards men or women, with the women having come to consider pretty much ALL clothing as their plaything, or "unisex."

I think that my mom, being a lady, gave me the female answer to my question: "if you want to wear it, wear it."

If I could go back to the mid-70's and ask my dad, his answer might have been like: dress for success, go for the power look, dress for the job you want, don't be different, don't rock the boat.

He was a plant foreman, but he still wore a suit fairly often, and made sure I always had at least one "kid's suit."

Maybe if the President and many members of Congress and top-level executives started showing up in business-professional skirt-suits and dresses (and continued to function well,) we'd make some progress? Or if some entrepreneurial guys did so and still made their millions based on the business idea/product rather than the appearance of the "Big Guy."
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:32 am
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA

Re: Asymmetric Wrap Skirt

Postby Grok » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:17 pm

Actually, I suspect that male politicians will be among the last to change. Their managers/handlers will certainly advise them not to rock the boat, to stick with "dress for success" and a "power" look.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1799
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Asymmetric Wrap Skirt

Postby crfriend » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:37 pm

Grok wrote:Actually, I suspect that male politicians will be among the last to change.

Are these the sorts of characters one wants to emulate?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 10466
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: Asymmetric Wrap Skirt

Postby Grok » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:17 pm

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:Actually, I suspect that male politicians will be among the last to change.

Are these the sorts of characters one wants to emulate?
Well, I don't. :mrgreen:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1799
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Previous

Return to Skirts and Kilts for Men

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests