Wore a skirt for the first time out in the wild!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
chevym14

Wore a skirt for the first time out in the wild!

Post by chevym14 »

Hey, first time posting here. I went to a "black and white" theme New Years party and I felt like doing something fun instead of just wearing boring pants. I was going to wear a white dress shirt and black tie, but I just look like a waiter at that point so I when on amazon and order my fist skirt! It was so much fun to try something new and dancing in a pleated skirt is a ton of fun! So meany swoosh and turn and hop thing to do to make the skirt dance too! (it also help having legging on under so I did not really care if I got a little too much swoosh to my skirt). Every ones reacts were super positive (every one at the party was supper open mined so it was not really a surprise but still relieving). A few people sad things like "nice kilt", and it was fun to say back "no, it a skirt, you can call it that :-)" I also got a few "You know, if you wear something under a kilt, its just a skirt at that point" and I would replay, "Good thing it was a skirt to begin with so I don't have to worry about that", or "jokes on you, if I took these legging off it would still be just a skirt". :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wore a skirt for the first time out in the wild!

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:
Hi chevym14,
Welcome to the place where everyone wears skirts and or dresses. You will fit in very nicely here. And since you have worn your first skirt out and about your over the first hump. By the way your outfit looks great!

Once again Welcome! :thumright: :thumright:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Breaking the ICE fantastic !
Glad you had a great time and the acceptance of the folks at the party !

Suggestion for an alternative to the shirt with tie is try a pirate or peasant shirt
aka Jacobite shirt skipping the tie altogether. With a blouse type of shirt you
would pass yourself off as more party casual than formal - unless that was
your original objective.

You look GREAT :welcome:
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Welcome to the group, chevym14! You seem like a natural fit.

Have you been out skirted since New Years? If so, where, and how did it go? And if not, what's holding you back?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well done chevym14!

A sharp, snazzy look!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
martbd

Post by martbd »

Doesn't feel more comfortable without that annoying groin & crotch seam?
chevym14

Post by chevym14 »

martbd wrote:Doesn't feel more comfortable without that annoying groin & crotch seam?
I was wearing white leggings so it was worse then the normal paints with boxers I wear :( but if I was to wear it with out the leggings then yes.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Try thigh highs. The advantages of tights but without the material around the crotch. I wear them a lot under trousers, yes I do wear them, and with skirts.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
DonP

Post by DonP »

Great to see another convert. Keep it up. We need more skirts out in public.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Great first time skirted! Hope you have many more adventures - until it becomes a perfectly ordinary thing!

Hope to hear of more tales.

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
JoePublic

Post by JoePublic »

Glad it went well. I am so nervous, I dread my first trip outside. Even though we have the weather for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JoePublic wrote:I dread my first trip outside. Even though we have the weather for it.
This is going to sound trite, and I know it, but it's a heck of a lot easier than you might think. Yes, you're going to buck conditioning you've been receiving all your life -- and that can be terrifying -- but, in the end, really all we have to fear is the fear itself and a small dollop of the unknown.

It'll go easier if you're reasonably well-practised wearing a skirt, and the only way to get that is to do so. When you're learning, sometimes it's best to do so around the house and out in the yard so you'll know how the skirt will behave under certain situations (and they do not behave the same way as trousers) so you can properly manage the thing and not be flustered when it does something unanticipated. Simple rigs like knee-length denim skirts are the easiest to start off with just to "get the hang of it" (bad pun, I know); once you've mastered the basics you can -- and should -- move on to developing a look and style your own.

The most important thing with being out and about in public is your confidence level. People pick up on that. They'll also pick up on things if you're obviously fighting with your clothing because you don't know how it'll behave. When you're ready, take a deep breath, gather your thoughts, and head out the door with your head held high.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

chevym14 wrote:
martbd wrote:Doesn't feel more comfortable without that annoying groin & crotch seam?
I was wearing white leggings so it was worse then the normal paints with boxers I wear :( but if I was to wear it with out the leggings then yes.
Yeah, that's what I found every time I've tried tights or the like. OTK (over the knee) or knee-high socks are all I wear for leg warmth when needed. I'm dubious of the "nothing under kilts" legend and it always amazes me when people are so ready to turn their minds to that. Wear what makes you comfy (but I suggest being careful sliding off the edge of a car seat if comfy means "nothing").

SO, congratulations on your first skirt outing and welcome to the board!
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

chevym14 wrote:Hey, first time posting here. I went to a "black and white" theme New Years party and I felt like doing something fun instead of just wearing boring pants. I was going to wear a white dress shirt and black tie, but I just look like a waiter at that point so I when on amazon and order my fist skirt!
The white shirt and black tie works well. Lots of folks consider ties the work of the devil but I am not among them. Straight lines are never wrong on a man, IMV, and a tie is associated with masculinity, which you were obviously not trying to downplay.
Daryl...