Look at that man in a dress

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Look at that man in a dress

Post by Kilted_John »

Back in 2004, at a party that a friend put on, a guy did refer to a MacKenzie 9-yard wool kilt that I was wearing as a dress. I kinda shrugged it off after realizing that the guy wanted to call it a dress. Now, it seems that most people look at my skirts, no matter what they are and think "kilt". I've mentioned this before, IIRC. About 3-4 years ago, I was wearing that sage green ruffled mini, and three teenage girls came up to me in the local Kroger-affiliated grocery store and said that I was wearing a kicka$$ kilt. Didn't have the heart to tell them that, no, it was something they could get in their section of the local Old Navy store. Then, there was the time a year later at the same grocery store where a guy who apparently was involved in a pipe band started asking me where I got my tartan kilt and mentioned how he paid an arm and a leg for his, etc, while I was wearing the floral print silk skirt that I've had in my avatar pic recently. More recently, there have been the two occasions over the past 3 weeks or so when I've been wearing the flared denim skirt. One guy mentioning to the person on the other end of his phone conversation that there was someone in a "Utilikilt" at the post office. The other being the person, again, at the grocery store, asking me if I was from the campbell clan when it would've been quite obvious that I wasn't in a kilt, if the guy had looked a little more closely.

So, YMMV.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote:
martbd wrote:If people don't know what dress is this what Google Dictionary says it is "a one-piece garment for a woman or girl that covers the body and extends down over the legs." But I think it should extended to men.
Ahh... we should petition the dictionary people to amend this as in actual practice their definition is incorrect!

It should read: "a one-piece garment worn by women, girls, and free men that covers the body and extends down over the legs."

I always liked the word "dress", it just sounds elegant.
Overalls and KKK robes would be included in that definition. Somewhere unbifurcated garment and non regalia should feature in the definition.

There is actually a KKK brand of skirts and dressses by the Beijing Man Clothing Co. but not for men, racist or otherwise.
http://www.cbamd.com/e_brand/show.asp?bid=5799

To add to the difficulty, there are bib & brace skirts and skirt overalls, which I would suggest are a subcatagory of dress such as a tunic, robe, frock, gymslip, etc.
The suspender skirt is supported by straps over the shoulders, nor covering much of the torso, and thus remains a skirt such as kilt, etc.
Somewhere there is a fine line of demarcation between a skirt and a dress.
Perhaps:
A dress is an unbifurcated, outer garment predominantly covering the body from above the nipples to below the crotch.
A skirt is an unbifurcated, outer garment covering part of the body from no higher than the waist to below the crotch.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
amtriod

Post by amtriod »

"Skirt", "kilt", "dress", and even "pants",
are perhaps not big deal words.
Perhaps only we much care about the difference.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

denimini wrote:There is actually a KKK brand of skirts and dressses by the Beijing Man Clothing Co. but not for men, racist or otherwise.
And the Beijing Man Clothing Co (holder of KKK womens fashions) can't for the life of them figure out why their clothing lines aren't popular in the U.S.
a) They called themselves the Beijing Man Clothing Co, yet make clothes for women.
b) The line shares the same name as a white supremacist group.

Damn it China.... you had ONE JOB! 8)

Here ya go Uncle Al... some word salad, try to read this without missing a beat:
Beijing Man Clothing Co., Ltd. was founded in China in 1994, is a set design, development, production, sales, and to focus on developing high-end women's fashion clothing company known for the professional. Company's technical staff is perfect, the designer is more than many well-known in the international award-winning designer. In recent years, the company is accelerating the development of a number of brand new development, encourage enterprises to expand rapidly, but also to further establish excellent brand image and corporate image! Two Brand: KK K brand is the Man Wah Garments Co., Ltd., in 2004 the new brand from Japan's latest, which is located in the high-grade, high quality, elegant, noble, high-end fashion career women, in order to diversify the structure clothing, the age span is known, all the other fabric imported fabrics (Japan, Italy, France, UK) based, the version used draping, elaborate, make women more natural and smooth lines, more highlights of modern career women, mature, elegant, fashion beauty
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Response to Kilted John

Post by Grok »

Perhaps people are dealing with cognitive dissonance by using the word "kilt"? :shock:
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Response to Grok

Post by Kilted_John »

Grok wrote:Perhaps people are dealing with cognitive dissonance by using the word "kilt"? :shock:
Quite possibly. Who knows. Either that, or they don't look close enough to realize that, no, I'm not kilted. Not that I really mind... At least they aren't freaking out over it.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo