Long "maxi" skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Long "maxi" skirts

Post by phathack »

Back when I was working in a office there were a young woman that was in my part of the facility that had a tendency to wear maxi dresses to work. She tended to stick out as she was one of the few women that wore a dress and the only one that wore a maxi length dress. The other women's dresses tended to be knee length or shorter, one young woman wore dresses that were far too short and tight for the office but no one seemed to call her out on it.

:ugeek:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I just bought a new pointe knit maxi-skirt in dark blue. I have not worn it out yet just tried it on. I have worn my mid-calf length skirts out and about with no unusual looks or remarks. If the weather ever turns cooler again I will be wearing the maxi-skirt out and about. It is a lot heavier than most of my other skirts so cool weather is a must. It has been almost 1 year since I have worn shorts and 4 or 5 years since I have worn long pants.

I LOVE MY SKIRTS!!!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

I wear maxi skirts in the summer when I have some leg hair to cover up. In winter, I shave my legs. Then I wear shorter skirts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

jjjjohanne wrote:I wear maxi skirts in the summer when I have some leg hair to cover up. In winter, I shave my legs. Then I wear shorter skirts.
Is it colder in summer where you live, then?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

I'm a maxi skirt wearer per se these days having ditched trousers where possible.

I haven't worked in an office environment since 1998 and been self employed since 2000. At that time women mostly wore skirts, knee length or shorter. In direct contact in this area since as a customer it has changed to mostly trousers, jeans, leggins etc and if skirts still knee length or shorter. "Professional" office jobs these days on the whole still retain the short and shorter office skirt for many women but very smart trousers for women have a good hold now. Never seen a maxi "at work" either now as a customer or when I was office based.

I'm sure then and now women choose whatever depending upon their sentiment on the day and their perception of looking the part, serious and professional. The black short office skirt was adopted then, and still now in many office professional roles in the current era as the label, expectation and stereotype to be bound by and long maxi skirts did and still do not appear to qualify. Very much like men in comparable jobs these days, sharp suits, white shirt, ties and polished laced shoes, yet away from office jeans, t-shirts, trainers or similar and very informal in whole demeanor of personal life. Back pre 1998 our friends still had a certain high level of personal appearance away from work unlike they do now. Nothing personal simply society being more chilled in that environment away from the office.

For me, depending on occupation, I would wear the lengths I do now, not shorter than 87 cm no longer than 99 cm. Calf length and longer. My self employment is not. It would also depend upon the employers openess of equailty and discrimination on the subject. If I were an employee now and subject to practicality of skirt/job I would make the necessary noise for inclusion and based upon current era of equailty, rights and individuality I should succeed. Acceptance from other staff well that could be different and I may look to relocate else where having made the stand. In 1998 I wouldn't push for my maxi skirt as back then society still acknowledged on the whole gender dress codes at work.

These days many professional office jobs, not all, hold a stereotypical image for women, and yes men for labeled mens wear, that women appear to want to retain, the short office skirt not a long skirt, unlike other areas of life. Reason, I'm not going to speculate.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Today was to be a "working Sunday", by which I mean I have the day off from work, however I had a personal task to take care of, that being replacing some phone wiring in our place. The job involved getting down in the dirt, stooping, and bending.

Being in the upper 50's, to low 60's with a partly overcast sky, it wasn't quite warm enough for one of my above the knee skirts, however I knew that wearing one of my skirts to the floor would be cumbersome while I attempted to fulfill my task today. I thought about a short skirt and some long thigh high socks, however I desired to let my legs breathe a little, plus I do prefer the feeling of not having a garter belt on, which as I've found is basically a requirement if you want to keep your socks up.

So I selected a dark reddish/dark bluish plaid jumper dress that comes to about 5 inches below the knee and a green sweater top under it. It was the perfect length for the task and hand in combination with the cool day.

My point is, in my view, while longer skirts may look cool, they are not very practical for hands on work, especially if you have to get on the floor a lot. Now in an office environment I don't see where it would be an issue, but for someone like me who tends to get a little dirt under his finger nails and track mud in from time to time, longer skirts are only for true "days off".

I believe I have 4 dresses, two of them are really good for working in. Which is somewhat unusual as when one thinks of a dress, one normally conjures images of a prim and proper outfit. By contrast, most of my skirts are not made for rolling around in the dirt.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

moonshadow wrote: I thought about a short skirt and some long thigh high socks, however I desired to let my legs breathe a little, plus I do prefer the feeling of not having a garter belt on, which as I've found is basically a requirement if you want to keep your socks up.
Moon, I've found that over the knee (not quite thigh-high) socks from Hue stay up well for me. No extra hardware necessary. I've bought mine at Macy's retail store here in SF. My usual on-line source that does stock some Hue, doesn't carry these.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco