Favourite skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Favourite skirts

Post by Tackleberry »

Do we have our favourite skirts?
I like denim skirts which I probably wear most of the time to be fair, in various lengths and I've taken to wearing leggings with some of them...
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Favourite skirts

Post by Kilted_John »

Over the past 3-4 years, I've sorta moved toward above-knee ruffled styles, as well as light fabrics. I do have a couple denim skirts that I wear frequently, with one receiving a lot of wear after being hemmed up (used to be below knee and flared - now knee-length and flared). But, I do prefer something that's thinner and softer than denim. I also have a couple Utilikilts that I'll wear when necessary, and three tartan kilts that haven't been worn since 2011 (firstly, they don't fit me well anymore, secondly, I prefer wearing something that doesn't make me produce 10 gallons of sweat on a summer day). Much as I hate to say this, I'm seriously considering taking the kilts to a consignment shop and seeing if I can sell them, since I don't have much of an interest in them anymore and could use some funds instead. All three are 9-yard tanks for a somewhat wide and short dude. Lennox District tartan in 13 oz wool, Armstrong modern in 16 oz wool, and a MacKenzie modern in 18 oz military weight wool.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I'd have to say I much prefer the light, flowing kinds of skirts. Something that moves like a skater skirt or circle skirt. As for material, basically anything soft. I'm pretty simple when it comes to skirts, I just don't like jean skirts or skirts that don't flow.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I can't honestly say that I have skirts that I favour more than others -- pretty much all of them get mileage put on 'em so long as they fit (I have a couple that need to be taken in at the moment).

I wear styles ranging from floor-sweepers to short, but not-quite mini, in a wide range of fabrics ranging from taffeta, to satin, fleece, wool, and velvet -- NO denim (can't stand the stuff). I typically lean toward more formal/classic looks and eschew "casual".

If I think I won't like a skirt, I won't buy it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Pencil skirts, formal but also casual too :lol:
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

For me, the prime mover is comfort. I exchange shorts for skirts. I have no insight into fashion so what goes with shorts should also go with skirts. The fabric is denim or twill because I like it sturdy and also because I make my own skirts. The Skirtolator program is my patternbook. Colors are black, denim or khaki.
When I was working, I could grab my clothes with my sleepy head in a dark bedroom (partner still sleeping). The colors were black, blue or grey and the shirts white or blue. And with skirts it is the same. The only thing that is a favorite is the length. I prefer 1 to 4 inches above the knee, depending on the mood and the surroundings.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I'm a tactile person, so fabric and texture mean a lot to me. I like skirts with stretch, but also like corduroy. I tend not to care much for cotton or cotton blends except in certain styles or in very light weights. I tend to stay with darker colors and earth-tones, aside from some beige and khakis, though I have a few bright patterned skirts mainly by Patagonia. Outdoor styles are my preference, but not exclusively. I have a few gathered and ruched skirts, but generally shun ruffles and feminine colors or pastels. Most of my skirts fall just above the knee, but I have skirts of all lengths. A couple maxis are among my five most recent acquisitions; these are patterned in a summer style. I generally buy summer skirts in the fall and winter skirts in the spring, as the seasonal styles turn over. I buy mostly online, as I despise shopping centers. I tend to switch favorite brands/designers quickly, but I've been stuck on Betabrand, of San Francisco, for a while now, for stretch pants, skorts, and skirts, although I can't afford anything from them at full price. They will have items on sale or closeouts often, and once you're established with them, they will sometimes put incentive money in your account, which is mainly what makes it possible for me to shop with them occasionally. I don't buy a skirt just because it's cheap, but only if it's something I really like and want to wear. That makes it worth saving for and waiting for.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

kilty wrote:Pencil skirts, formal but also casual too :lol:
I've contemplated the thought on occasion, but due to my geometry I have a long stride. I'm also very susceptible to stumbling or faltering if anything goes wrong mid-stride or I get constricted in some manner -- and that constriction be as little as an ounce or so of force. Coupled with a recent aggravation of my back injury, which has caused real neurological problems with my right leg I suspect that pencils are right out for me for the foreseeable future.

In any event, I also happen to think that some flare looks better than a stove-pipe.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Liam

Post by Liam »

I definitely have favorites. Out and about, I often wear kilts and now that it is cold out, I have made some long "winter length" kilts that go to my ankles - love those things! Around the house, I prefer skirts or long robes with my favorites being a couple denim tiered skirts from Baby-O. One in blue, one in black - they are light and very comfortable.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

beachlion wrote:For me, the prime mover is comfort. I exchange shorts for skirts. I have no insight into fashion so what goes with shorts should also go with skirts. The fabric is denim or twill because I like it sturdy
Sounds a lot like me, comfort over fashion, function over form.
Knee to ankle length, all of my skirts are more prefered over trousers.
All my skirts are blue denim, or tans and brown cottons and twills.
With the exception of a red felt poodle skirt, and a pink denim, I was shocked when I saw that in a resale shop, never saw a pink denim skirt before, my size, so I HAD to HAVE it naturally. I have thought about "going completely pink" on breast cancer awareness day, but have yet to do it.

If I ever find the time, I wouldn't mind making a fleece Mouseworks styled skirt, seems simple enough. And if I ever go completly crazy I might attempt making a kilt.

Mishwakaskirt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Liam

Post by Liam »

beachlion wrote:For me, the prime mover is comfort. I exchange shorts for skirts. I have no insight into fashion so what goes with shorts should also go with skirts. The fabric is denim or twill because I like it sturdy
mishawakaskirt wrote: Sounds a lot like me, comfort over fashion, function over form. Knee to ankle length, all of my skirts are more prefered over trousers. All my skirts are blue denim, or tans and brown cottons and twills...

...If I ever find the time, I wouldn't mind making a fleece Mouseworks styled skirt, seems simple enough. And if I ever go completly crazy I might attempt making a kilt.
Exactly my point of view! I have made a few kilts (strong twill, not wool) and a fleece A-line skirt. I am about to make another fleece skirt right now.

Mishawaskirt - don't wait for crazy, go for it now! It is well worth the effort! :D :D :D
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

crfriend wrote:
kilty wrote:Pencil skirts, formal but also casual too :lol:
I've contemplated the thought on occasion, but due to my geometry I have a long stride. I'm also very susceptible to stumbling or faltering if anything goes wrong mid-stride or I get constricted in some manner -- and that constriction be as little as an ounce or so of force. Coupled with a recent aggravation of my back injury, which has caused real neurological problems with my right leg I suspect that pencils are right out for me for the foreseeable future.

In any event, I also happen to think that some flare looks better than a stove-pipe.
Actually, Carl, I think pencil skirts look fantastic on slim builds like yours. I also think you'd find that most are now of stretch fabric, and unless you're wearing calf-length or hobble length, there is really no inhibition of a normal stride, for men or women. Mine are knee length, and I have no problem. Too, I don't have but maybe two or three. But if you are in the habit of RUNNING everywhere you go, that's another issue...
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

My first was a LB (Lane Bryant) Ponte knit pencil skirt. Hook and eye above a zipper in back. Bought a second just like it. Then I got the same thing, but it was straight-sided rather than a pencil skirt. These all come to about mid-knee.

Then I got a bright blue "assymetric" skirt with a small triangular section coming down just left of front center. Then a black ruffle or skater skirt, and a black summer maxi - everything else was mid-knee.

Then I got into minis: Dressbarn had a nice denim with pockets and smallish belt loops and an elastic waisted one in black knit. Then I found a nice mini at Torrid: with a drawstring front plus elastic waist. Not sure what to call it, it kind of has a black and white speckled look.

I tend to favor the minis and then the straight-line and pencil skirts. The skater gets some wear but gets blown about in the lightest wind.

I also got a heavier weight midi that I have worn on below-freezing days. Only once this month have I done both fleece-lined tights _and_ leggings, which were a bit too much.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

My favorite probably remains the black utility kilt I bought from Scotland almost four years ago, because it was the first unbifurcated/single-leg-hole garment I ever wore in public.

I also have a fondness for some thrift store skirts I bought before that.

Recently, knee-length ponte pencil skirts have been a lot of fun but not exclusively. With about thirty UBFGs in my wardrobe, I like to switch off.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

My favorite skirt is on a dress. To be more specific, the next one I acquire.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.