We should encourage women to wear skirts more often

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: We should encourage women to wear skirts more often

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote:I think we should just encourage people (women and men) to just wear what they want.
Quite so, however I do have an interest in women wearing skirts:
I observed how they handle some situations
Schadenfreude
A mature lady wearing a mini skirt is nearly as brave as we are
I won't be wearing the shortest skirt
If they stop wearing them, the vast array of skirts may dry up
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Hem lengths and women's fashion in general tend to run in twenty-year cycles. So I'm sure the popularity of skirts for women will come around eventually. Nothing's permanent if you give it enough time.

Unfortunately, skirts for men don't seem to be on the same cycle.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hello Carl,

People are conspicuously wearing safety pins to signal folks who may be getting harassed for who they are that the wearer of the safety pin is safe to talk to, ask for help, etc.

As such it's also a badge of opposition to the bigotry that seems to have come oozing out from under the rocks as a result of the Presidential campaign and the rhetoric that's been tossed around.

We need to do so because we're in the crosshairs too.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't think that we have this safety pin convention over here. I had never heard of it but on googling it appears that it started over here to express solidarity with ethnic minorities after the Brexit vote. It has since been taken up in the US to indicate solidarity against intolerance to minorities who feel threatened. Good idea. Johnny Rotten and the punk movement were really ahead of their time. :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:People are conspicuously wearing safety pins to signal folks who may be getting harassed for who they are that the wearer of the safety pin is safe to talk to, ask for help, etc.
I was completely unaware of that, and thanks for the enlightenment.

As far as being "in the crosshairs", we all have been so for quite some time. It used to be for harassment and photography; I fear it now may be for live ammunition.

"Oh what a wonderful world."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:People are conspicuously wearing safety pins to signal folks who may be getting harassed for who they are that the wearer of the safety pin is safe to talk to, ask for help, etc.
Hmmm, I wonder if the safety pin like decoration on my "kilt" skirt counts :?: :wink:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

skirted_in_SF wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder if the safety pin like decoration on my "kilt" skirt counts :?:
Of course!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I encourage my wife to wear skirts and dresses and have bought her several. I enjoy shopping for her clothes and imagine her wearing what I pick out. She is a member of two organizations who have meetings and she always wears a skirt or dress for them. I believe it encourages her colleagues to also wear skirts and dresses. I tell her how nice she looks. Yes, she is getting a couple of new ones for Christmas. She likes to dress up for occasions.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

My wife wore skirts only when she went to school. Now she finds herself too overweight to wear skirts.
A friend of my wife wears skirts and dresses only for special events or when it is hot in the summer. She would wear a skirt more often if her legs would have been better formed. And there is no way to talk her out of that mindset.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I think that MOH doesn't wear skirts because of her thighs even though I tell her that a knee length dress/skirt would look fine. But then the womenfolk never seem to believe us.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I don't know what your wife looks like, but "cottage-cheese thighs" are definitely unattractive. You might suggest tights, if that is the problem.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The interesting thing here is that skirts, if chosen wisely, are more flattering to a wider variety of body-types than trousers can ever be -- unless one has the "desirable" waif-figure. It would seem that women have either forgotten that, or have drunk the "feminist" Kool-Aid that states that skirts are a symbol of oppression. Either alone is sad; both taken together are tragic.

Personally, I have a heck of a lot of fun fiddling with what a skirt can make me look like -- and I'm of a shape that can carry trousers without embarrassment. I just prefer skirts.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

My wife is a petite blond who looked like the ideal surfer girl when we met. She weighs the same as she did in high school and looks as good after raising two kids. She takes singing and dancing lessons and works out at the gym three times a week. She is beautiful. I enjoy dressing her up and buying or suggesting items to wear. I enjoy the way she looks in dresses and skirts and have fun shopping for her. She is my favorite photo subject.

She likes my choice of skirts and told me how nice my legs look today.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Bravo for you Happy-N-Skirts!

You should be very happy!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

I’ve found that my wearing of skirts, at least since I started wearing them outside, has had an effect on my wife’s fashion choices. She used to wear mainly trousers, or occasionally in the summer shorts, but is increasingly wearing skirts both at home and outside. Like most of us she finds them to be more comfortable. I’m happy about this, and prefer to go places when we’re both skirted.

My feelings on encouraging women to wear skirts and dresses are much like Moonshadow’s - clothes are just clothes, and everyone should be encouraged to wear whatever they feel happy and comfortable in. And the more diverse the fashions both men and women choose, the better.