More Comebacks

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

More Comebacks

Post by denimini »

It is actually very rare that anyone comments or asks about my skirt but I do enjoy thinking of possible responses so I am ready and not lost for words.
There are a couple of responses that I use regarding my profession of Architectural Design, both would work for skirt wearing.
"I am a designer and can not allow myself to be intimidated by convention, otherwise I would never propose a new idea"
"This is an alternative solution" This is a term in the building codes allowing a new or different construction method. I think it could also be applied to clothing.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Re: More Comebacks

Post by skirtingtheissue »

"Clothes are like the façade of a building. When I design a building, the outward expression of its character is important."
or
"Clothes are like the façade of a building. When I design a building, the outward expression of its character is important. But the heart of the matter is: it's just plain more comfortable!"

-----Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

When a couple of men (including a news reporter) tweeted that they didn't have the legs for a skirt, I responded "If you wear shorts, you can wear a skirt. All we've done is upgraded the ventilation system. ;-)" https://twitter.com/skirtcraft/status/6 ... 8414076932

I also remember one critic on Facebook stating that from a Christian perspective, it was an abomination for a man to wear a skirt. The response required no words, just an image of Jesus, wearing a skirted garment (as he does in most depictions).
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

"It appeals to my vintage style. Nobody wears skirts anymore, men and women both always wear pants. I want to be unique".
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I told my wife how good she looked in skirts and dresses and bought her a few of each. She wears skirts or dresses nearly every day and is beautiful in them. (She wears workout pants to the gym).
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I thought I would revive an old subject thread again, this one has not seen any action since early 2018.

It's been two years any one got some new and great skirt comebacks, or answers to the question " why the skirt"

I think we all need to have at least 3 good replies at our disposal depending on the situation.
If a person is curious enough to ask you about your clothing, they are already thinking, and developing conclusions about you. it is a great opportunity to give them a positive thought provoking answer. Encourage them for their curiosity.

Then give then a humorous answer to lighten the mood, then the Serious answer, the real why. and only if really necessary something snarky, if they don't like your real answer.

Oh thank you for asking about my skirt. What can I say stinking auto correct error on my Amazon order, I thought I said ________ shirt and it orders me a ________ skirt.
No returns policy. So I kept it. No actually________________ and that's why I'm wearing a skirt Today.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I have never needed one but I have a collection just in case. Here's one. "I am recovering from a serious operation and pants hurt."
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The longer I wear skirts in public the less convinced I become that quick "comebacks" are required.

If hard pressed a rejoinder of, "And why not?" ought to do, and if that's not enough merely bring up the comfort factor.

Youngsters can be fun, and I still chuckle when I recall the girl who was furtively eyeing me when I was in line behind her and her parents at Chicago Union Station with me in my green plaid "walking skirt". I caught her eye, bent down, and very quietly commented, "It is what you think it is, and it's OK." -- to which she almost positively beamed and said that I looked very good in it. I chalk that up as a win.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Gee this is an old thread, I had forgotten about it. I never had to use any comebacks. It is still fun thinking of new ones, although it seems just an intellectual pursuit.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

I've just said "because I'm a tart...."

Nobody has come back after that lol...
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

"I look a lot worse without it."
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

Out on my mini-kilted walks during CV only had two comments, both absolutely positive, and the second was jokingly "hey, how did you sneak past Nicola?!"
For those not in the know, I was walking in England and Nicola Sturgeon is the first minister (PM) of Scotland who had enforced the lockdown arguably more stringently than the UK PM!
:mrgreen:
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

"The real question is why don't you wear a skirt" (if the person is not currently wearing one)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Spirou003 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:40 pm"The real question is why don't you wear a skirt" (if the person is not currently wearing one)
I was at a gathering of friends yesterday in a town to my north, and I was wearing my blue minidress with lattice-work black knee-high stockings and red 2" heels, and it went over very well with the women who showed up. The primaries in this case are a mated pair, she a lawyer and he a bit of a "jack of all trades", both of elevated intelligence. I try to surround myself with folks smarter than I am, and this is a good crew.

She absolutely "gets it" about my skirt-wearing, no questions asked. He understands it as well, likely having chatted with his SO about the matter so it's never even once been questioned.

Two other women popped in that afternoon, with one who practically gushed about my dress and overall sense of style and the other who wondered how I could make do with the heels to which I pointed out the very chunky heel that confers excellent stability. The former one has offered me a designer dress that she thinks will look smashing on me, so I am intrigued, albeit a rather difficult "fit". The proposed dress is green, which caused my to invoke the patter-piece by the Barenaked Ladies regarding, "that's cruel" which got a round of laughter.

All in all, "No worries!" and no "comebacks required.

On the topic of dresses, the crack of "one and done" does leave quite a bit to the imagination and that's usually a hoot.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

If someone makes a derogatory comment about the skirt, you could say
"They are a good bigot-filter ......... and it is working now".