What to wear under a skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What to wear under a skirt?

Post by renesm1 »

I wore a kilt to an event in Munich yesterday and I wished I'd have put a pair of tights on (not sure if that's allowed though). Quite cold outside!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

hairy wrote:When in Scotland, wear what a Scotsman wears. When in England wear what you feel.
But you never see any kilts in Scotland, so how can we know what they wear there?
:roll:

Martin # 1 (I got here first)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Same as for pants and shorts except for colour. There can be a glimpse of underwear with a short skirt and dark colours are preferable not to be obvious, excepting those wearing thin pale skirt material.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:[...] excepting those wearing thin pale skirt material.
This is about the only time when what one is wearing under a skirt matters or is on topic. Hint, hint.

I have a number of very light summer-weight skirts, one of which is pure white (and how I've managed to keep it that way for three years is beyond me) and almost embarrassingly transmissive. Just for the sake of modesty I pair it with a hot-white slip and neutral-coloured unmentionables so as not to get print-through announcing my preferences the world. This problem does not exist with the darker ones of the same pattern.

For my short skirts, stuff under there is almost invariably dark so as not to attract unwanted attention in the event of an accidental exposure. From a practical perspective, light (or bright) colours don't work well for that application, for obvious reasons.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

If you are wearing something under your skirts, you might want to consider some sort of lubrication to stop it.

To quote an Irishman when asked what was worn under his kilt.

"Why lassie nothing is worn under there........................It's all in good working order....."
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hoborob,
As an Irishman I wish hereon to formally disown your quoted respondant. He was Scots!
No Irishman would use the word 'Lassie' unless he was quoting a Scot.

Btw. nudity or 'commando' doesn't appeal to me one bit.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Apologies Kirb. I meant to say Scot. Got them mixed up at the time. Shows that you shouldn't be posting messages when your still slightly unalert.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I go the spandex/yoga shorts route in warm weather and will wear pantyhose or tights in the cool & cold weather.

:ugeek:
jmiller842
Distinguished Member

Post by jmiller842 »

Always pantyhose for me under my skirts.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I almost always wear control top pantyhose with panties underneath them. For awhile I wore men's cotton bikinis but found for some indecipherable reason they rode up as I pulled up the hose, while high-cut panties didn't.

I only wear slips under unlined skirts or dresses. Maybe it's our mild weather here in the Northwest, but I haven't felt the need to go beyond sweaterdress, boots, tights and trench coat to stay warm.

If for some reason I'm wearing non-control-top hose under a light skirt so my anatomy breaks the line of my skirt, I'll wear shapewear to smooth things over.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Very interesting read.

Not read article 3, and still haven't. I'm sure it is there to protect from vulgarity and obscenity remarks/behaviour.

I thought the original thread post and many subsequent ones were perfectly acceptable and a genuine question. I thought this forum was to allow questions to gain help and advice from others. There was nothing obscene from my aspect.

What should you wear, is down to you, whatever is comfortable for you, no different to under trousers.

As for me, what is worn under my skirt, well I have used the Scotsmans reply to two women before and it is perfectly apt here. One pursued it further so I asked what was under hers, to which she objected and gave me a rebuke. It certainly ended the line of inquiry and showed the many bigoted attitudes towards men but not for women.

Wear what you want under or outer.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

TheSkirtedMan wrote:Not read article 3, and still haven't. I'm sure it is there to protect from vulgarity and obscenity remarks/behaviour.
It's primarily there to prevent the site from being drawn off-topic and descending into fetish, mostly from newcomers (long-time denizens know better). That said, the garments aren't colloquially known as "unmentionables" without a reason.

The only sorts of undergirdings that are on-topic are those that either show directly (e.g. legwear), alter the outward appearance of the skirt (e.g. petticoats), or solve motion and/or other "management" aspects (e.g. friction-control/opacity with slips). What we wear to gird our loins does not bear on any of those facets -- with the exception of print-through with some very lightweight summer skirts, and that's solvable by wise selection of colour and/or an underskirt. Cut/design is entirely irrelevant.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

What's beneath my skirt? A pair of shoes!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I can do better than that!

Inside the shoes I put socks of varying lengths, or heights, depending on how you describe them. They make most shoes more comfortable to wear. :D

Today I received delivery of a 'praiper' Scotland Shop 8-yarder in McKenzie Modern. I tried it on at lunch time and it demonstrates immediately what the real kiltmakers' skill is and where the money goes. Needless to say it fit like a very warm glove.

To go under it I now need matching flashes for my white kilt hose....or socks.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:Today I received delivery of a 'praiper' Scotland Shop 8-yarder in McKenzie Modern. I tried it on at lunch time and it demonstrates immediately what the real kiltmakers' skill is and where the money goes. Needless to say it fit like a very warm glove.
Colour me a rather pale shade of envious green. :mrgreen:

How is your MM going to take that? I hope she likes it, or at the very least tolerates it.