(Good) Comments are king.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Regular Guy

Re: (Good) Comments are king.

Post by Regular Guy »

Glad to hear about your first and GOOD comment. Congrats

Wearing a TEN inch mini...... not surprised to hear you got a comment.
Again, glad it was a good one !!

RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I guess that a red skirt is going to attract attention no matter who's wearing it, and I managed to draw a very positive, "I love your skirt!" from a young woman in a grocery-store where I was picking up some needed articles. At the time I was trying to figure out where the receipt was issued from on an attendant-less checkout device and the comment came in -- which flustered me for a moment, but was at least able to muster a grateful, "Thank you!". I eventually found the spot to pull the paper receipt from -- and the reason I was having such a hard time of it was that the thing was sticking out of the machine below my field of vision which was looking for it in my normal view. I didn't look down far enough.

Chalk one up for bad design with that device, but also chalk one up for nice comments and smiles. The latter ruled the time.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

Was out yesterday wearing a long denim skirt with opaque tights. Looking round a clothing shop I picked up a knee length cord skirt and the store assistant said to me that it would look good on you. I tried it on and decided to buy it especially as there was a 25% off deal.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Was out and about this weekend myself, doing various things, grocery shopping etc, with my wife on Saturday and again on Sunday afternoon with our Indian neighbours and friends, and I received a couple of good comments.
Firstly was another neighbour who said Hi and then "I like your skirt" , which was a camouflage utility kilt, she apologised for her ignorance in not realising what it was, and was perhaps more friendly and chatty than many other times I had met her. I told her what it was and that it was comfortable, she had a big approving smile. After our brief 30 second chat we went on our ways.

Later that day (Sunday) we were with our Indian neighbours, no comments from them, but we went out to the DFO (Direct Factory Outlet) mall with them and another of their friends (who said she liked it), there I only noted one reaction from anyone else, and that guy was in one of the shops, he just looked past and then zipped back for half a second and went on his way, but he focused his eyes on me for less than a second as though he he'd seen something he hadn't expected but didn't want to be seen looking. Other interactions with people were just as normal, no different.
Plenty of women and girls seen wearing skirts and dresses yesterday at the DFO, including my wife.

That was my first good comment received, a comment that I would not have received had I been wearing shorts or pants.

My wife's advice to me, simply be yourself, own it and get on with your day, and don't be conscious of yourself.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

6ft3Aussie wrote:...My wife's advice to me, simply be yourself, own it and get on with your day, and don't be conscious of yourself.
Smart lady! She's right!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Now that the early mornings are cooler I went out for breakfast wearing a calf length black full skirt , Black roll neck sweater.
my flat soled black below the knee zip up boots and my trusty male harris tweed sports jacket.

A lady in her thirties sitting at the next table with her daughter and wearing jeans said to me " I love your outfit.."

I went to a film show at the sailing club in the evening and was considering what to wear for a casual evening.
Eventually decieded on a quick fix , no questions asked....I put on the same outfit but wore a pair of black government issue trousers
instead of my skirt.
A lady in a skirt outfit said to me " you look very smart this evening " ......I only saw one other lady wearing a skirt at the function.

Only one other gentleman was wearing a traditional jacket....Late sixties style bright red velvet jacket. .....weeladdie
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I haven't gotten many comments, good or bad. especially from men

I went to church yesterday morning. You see the same people there all the time . As we were leaving a man came up to me and said that he really liked my outfit especially the Boots.

Because of all the talk about what the bible says about wearing women's clothing etc etc acceptance by other church members is significant
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Yesterday, after a club hike, four of us repaired to a nearby golf resort for lunch. I was wearing a utility kilt for both the hike ana the lunch.

I ordered a Kiltlifter, a local craft beer, and the waitress remarked with a smile that she should have known.

On the way out I noticed another older fellow smiling with interest at my kilt. I wished him a good day and he replied, "You too!"

C'est la vie.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Sunday, a group of us from church went to the matinee of "Dreamgirls" because another church member had a bit part in the show so we wanted to support her and see the play. Consequently, I felt I needed to dress a little nicer than usual for church. I settled on a sleeveless Calvin Klein coatdress that I had bought at Macy's this past Friday and my cream-colored silk blouse with ruffles worn underneath it.

After the show I stopped off at my Fred Meyers superstore for some groceries -- yes, the same one where the wacko lady insisted that I had "a problem." While I was getting some bulk almonds when a gentleman in a delivery driver's uniform with a neatly trimmed mustache and beard, rolled his cart up to mine to tell me how nice I looked, that I was clearly a "person who knows how to dress" and that he enjoyed seeing that!

Clearly, our clothing preferences are supported by the majority of people so stop worrying about acceptance and overthinking your choices so you can go out in public with joy and confidence.

Btw, those of you who are wondering about how well we're accepted in the Women's Dept., whether or not to ask for help and which dressing room to use, consider the saga of my purchase of the dress. I had seen the dress on an earlier trip to that store and couldn't get it out of my mind, so I made a special trip back to that store to buy it. Being it was at the end of a busy day and in a mall I wasn't familiar with, I was having trouble finding it again when an older female associate asked if she could help. I thanked her and explained what I was looking for so she walked me to it.

When I found it in a 12 (my sometimes size) but not a 14 (my usual), I asked her where I could try it on. She walked me past the nearest set of fitting rooms, which puzzled me because that was where I would have gone, to another set with a much more elaborate entrance way and larger dressing rooms, complete with triptych mirrors so you can admire yourself from all angles! While I was changing into my find she dug through the rack to find an alternative for me, in case my first choice didn't work, and then waited until I was satisfied so she could ring it up for me.

When I got it home I realized that the saleswoman had forgotten to remove the plastic security tab so I had to stop off at another Macy's closer to home to get it removed. I had been on a brewpub tour with my car club. Because I thought I might be climbing up steel factory stairs I had worn jeans, a shirt, baseball cap and my leather flight jacket. When I brought it to the associate at the Service Counter and explained my situation, she asked, "Were you planning to wear it last night?" like it was the most natural thing in the world for a man to buy a dress at Macy's so he could wear that it evening. Evidently she was hoping that oversight hadn't spoiled my plans. I assured I hadn't planned to wear it the previous night so I was fine with what had happened. The only thing she couldn't figure out was why I had bought it in a store in the suburbs across the river, otherwise all of this was business as usual.

Clearly, store sales staff are there to help us spend our money and aren't at all phased by selling dresses to men so they can wear them. And asking permission can get you better results than you ever imagined. So, as my mother would say, "Be nice!"
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

I posted a picture of the Coatdress in the Pics & Looks section.

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:I posted a picture of the Coatdress in the Pics & Looks section.
Dave , this is another computer test....I ended up in three ladies departments yesterday and tried.on
two skirts and bought one ...I ended up walking out of the mens changing room in a skirt " fitting "
session supervised by the female staff....The lady assistant was standing in the gentlemens department supervising .....I think this unusual event occurred as there was
an elderly half naked lady flapping in and out of the ladies changing room.
I like the cut and the pattern of the skirt....I looked the lady assistant in the eye and said
" what do you think ? ".....Her response was...." I like the colours ,sir " ....another successful sale..

I understand you are a WW11 buff....Have you ever heard the story of the Logistical Operation to
transfer American Tanks from Basra to the Russian Front

The old faded photographs in the Family Album have all the vehicles cut out of the photos for
security purposes.......I have a personal report that one British Convoy took Three and a half months
to sail from Liverpool to the Persian Gulf................Weeladdie
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Hello Weeladdie,

Good for you that you crossed that bridge and succeeded in finding a couple of "winners." Congratulations!

I'm glad you like my outfits, we all appreciate affirmation.

As to the American tanks sent to the Russian Front through Basra, when exactly was that? I know we sent a lot of Lend Lease materiel and weapons by train through Persia. I also heard that we fobbed a lot of our Grant and Lee tanks off on them. Why they took them when they had those marvelous T-34's is beyond me.

At any rate, I'd enjoy hearing more about that operation you have in mind either in a PM or in Off Topic. The latter is probably better because I'm sure there are plenty of other folks in the Café who would be interested in learning about this.

oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

As to the American tanks sent to the Russian Front through Basra, when exactly was that? I know we sent a lot of Lend Lease materiel and weapons by train through Persia. I also heard that we fobbed a lot of our Grant and Lee tanks off on them. Why they took them when they had those marvelous T-34's is beyond me.

At any rate, I'd enjoy hearing more about that operation you have in mind either in a PM or in Off Topic. The latter is probably better because I'm sure there are plenty of other folks in the Café who would be interested in learning about this.
Sorry for going off topic but I am an old tank man.. The T34's were among the most advanced tanks of the period they were about the only thing that were a match for the German Panzer . Unfortunately while they had the advanced design . Their production plants were destroyed before to many could be produced. So when you had a choice between our older model tanks and nothing.

I would like to hear more on this. It was strange but in late 67 when we were helping Isreal rearm I was in Vietnam and my unit was put on alert that they were going to pack us up and send us to Isreal.

Isreal's main tank at that time was the americam made m48with the 90 MM main gun I had the newer model M48a3 with a 105mm If we did go we would have gone up against some of these old t34's or the newer T55's
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Dan, check out Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Again sorry for going off subject.
Last edited by oldsalt1 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.