Tales from the Brotherhood of the Hoop

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Tales from the Brotherhood of the Hoop

Post by crfriend »

I know of at least two brave souls hereon who have skirts, or at least petticoats, that have hoops in them. I am one of them.

Now, I have not worn any of my rigs with a hoop in it for a number of years, but some recent discussion made me revisit the idea and make me glad that I retrieved the hoop when things went sour between my ex and I. There were any number of reasons for this, most of which escape me at the moment.

So it came to pass today that I opted to thread the hoop through its channel in the petti I have that was designed for it, and then ventured out to one of my favourite establishments to watch a(n American) football game where the local boys were going head to head (literally, sometimes) against a team from Buffalo, New York which no doubt had its own set of ardent supporters. Here it was quite lopsided.

To the theme of "fighting with one's clothes", this must've been a classic case. The skirt was my newly-fitted purple floor-sweeper, which, with the hooped petti actually is more ankle-length, a red silk brocade waistcoat (as seen in Pics and Looks), and a black dress shirt. It was tough going from the get-go. I fought with the rig in the garage, when trying to get into the car (my new one is not as forgiving as my old sportster in spite of being almost twice the size and weight), then repeating the process when refilling the tank with petrol (See Jackson Browne's "Running on Empty"), subsequently realising that some of the doors weren't wide enough, and then learning the hard way that it's impossible to sit at a bar wearing a hooped skirt or in an easy chair.

However, unlike sometimes, this time my skirt was most definitely noticed. A couple of the blokes commented that it was remarkably elegant, and the women who said anything at all were impressed with it. The bartender commented once she got a full-length view of me, "I love it!" and a while later on, "I'm still loving it!"

However, the fact that I was rather clearly fighting the thing meant that I ultimately sneaked off the the rear exitway, doffed the petti (having arranged things so I could do so in complete modesty even in public), and put it in the back of my car.

The exercise was not a complete loss. I learned several things today by hard practical experience. Sometimes that's the best way to do it -- and I have no-one in my family who would have the slightest clue on how to handle such a rig. I am very much alone in this regard, but so be it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tales from the Brotherhood of the Hoop

Post by Kirbstone »

Carl,
Your experiences amuse...

However, as a fully retired former part-time member of said brotherhood I can attest that I have only donned such attire in an Am-Dram situation, more precisely, firstly as 'Elsie' in Gilbert & Sullivan's 'Yeomen of the Guard', secondly as the Bohemian Girl in the operetta of that name and thirdly more recently as the Dame in a Christmas pantomime, 'Mother Goose'........my treble voice had well & truly broken by then ! :!:

All three roles required multiple stage appearances wearing hooped gowns and one could only enter & exit stage through the wider openings. I was not required to sit down on stage even once then. That was strictly a dressing room exercise.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:Your experiences amuse...
That was part of the intent. Humour is useful, not to mention fun.
However, as a fully retired former part-time member of said brotherhood I can attest that I have only donned such attire [...]
Why am I now saddened by restricting "membership" to folks here who now own such garments? Is that wasn't the case, I'd have welcomed you in with open arms and a waiting ale.
All three roles required multiple stage appearances wearing hooped gowns and one could only enter & exit stage through the wider openings. I was not required to sit down on stage even once then. That was strictly a dressing room exercise.
Towards the end of it, I, recalling various video "instruction" and finding similarities in the local environment that might work, found that perching on a bar-stool with a back on it, but with the back turned at 90 degrees actually worked pretty darned well. However, I was rather fed up with the exercise at the time and ditched the petti. Not to mention that I was perpetually in the way of other folks coming and going and the only way to do that was to either stand in a remote corner or reduce the amount of space I occupied. I opted for the latter.

Some grumbling was overheard this afternoon about the difficulties of bringing the 19th Century into the 20th -- and, yes, I botched what century we're in now. If we were really in the 21st, then where in blazes are my flying car and personal jet-pack? (Hmmm.... A jet-pack with a hoop-skirt. That brings up another set of problems, especially given the temperature of jet exhaust. Blast.)

In any event, the hoop is out of the petti and safely hanging from the moulding surrounding my closet and the petti is hanging from a curtain-rod because the closet seems to be cock-full of stuff, mainly skirts. (I wonder how that happened.)
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

crfriend wrote:Humour is useful, not to mention fun. ~~~~ If we were really in the 21st
(century), then where in blazes are my flying car[0] and personal jet-pack[1]?
(Hmmm.... A jet-pack with a hoop-skirt. That brings up another
set of problems, especially given the temperature of jet exhaust. Blast[2].)
~~ is hanging from a curtain-rod because the closet seems to be cock-full[3]
of stuff, mainly skirts.
[0]Terrafugia - Flying Car
[1]JetPack Aviation JB10
[2]Were you 'blasting' the effect of 'jet exhaust temperature'? Glad you used punctuation!
[3]Are you speaking of Roosters or did you mean Chock-full? (Trying to keep things out of the gutter :oops: )

Uncle Al(with a warped/twisted mind tonight)
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Very sadly, neither of those are available to the masses. I suppose, however, in the case of the flying car that this might be a good thing, especially considering the number of distractions that the average "driver" contends with (hot coffee, shaving, breakfast, cell' 'phones [0], cigarettes...)
[2]Were you 'blasting' the effect of 'jet exhaust temperature'? Glad you used punctuation!
Nah, I was cursing the fact that if I donned a jet-pack I'd burn off the back of my skirt!
[3]Are you speaking of Roosters or did you mean Chock-full? (Trying to keep things out of the gutter :oops: )
You got me on that one, and I stand guilty as charged of committing a typographycal error. :wink:
Uncle Al(with a warped/twisted mind tonight)
Quite clearly. Don't lose that. You'll need it in another couple of weeks. :twisted:

[0] What we need is cell' service by the Mossad. Place a call when moving more than 15 MPH and the earpiece detonates. (I'd rather deal with the acute case of an occasional pilotless car than the chronic case of several around me all at once.)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I am another owner of a hooped petticoat, from a sense of experimentation. I couldn't bring myself to wear it with an audience. I found it amusingly ungainly, as it is rather wide it has to squeeze through most doorways. Sitting takes a bit of thought, lift the back of the hoops and it lies not too badly and not too uncomfortably. The skirt tends to swing like a bell which feels rather odd. Oh and one of my attempts to drive while wearing the thing actually led to me putting a kink into the lowest hoop.
It hasn't been out of it's box for months now, although the petticoat minus hoops will be useful now the weather is cooling off.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:I am another owner of a hooped petticoat, from a sense of experimentation.
Ha! We're up to three. Next step: World Domination. Dr. Evil, start watching your back.
I couldn't bring myself to wear it with an audience. I found it amusingly ungainly, as it is rather wide it has to squeeze through most doorways.
Experimentation and practise make perfect, my friend; just don't practise things that are demonstrably wrong as they'll become permanent, and that's decidedly "bad".
The skirt tends to swing like a bell which feels rather odd. Oh and one of my attempts to drive while wearing the thing actually led to me putting a kink into the lowest hoop.
The semi-rigid structure does produce an odd sensation -- and the empty volume on the inside is entirely disconcerting as it feels like you've got nothing on down there at all.

"Lowest hoop"? How many does it have?
It hasn't been out of it's box for months now, although the petticoat minus hoops will be useful now the weather is cooling off.
If the hoops are still serviceable, give it another go. Stiff upper lip and whatnot!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Unfortunately, I have no tales really to speak of. I have yet to wear my hoop out anywhere. Perhaps this Saturday I'll give it a go. As it stands, I only have the youtube video of me "dancing" to Benny Goodman. It was fun, but reminded me of how out of shape I'm getting.

I'm ashamed to admit, but the skirt in the video I have redonated. It was one of those that I debated on as I cleaned out my closet a few weeks ago of some skirts that just wasn't getting the wears I thought they would, in addition to skirts that were hard to pair with anything, or others that I simply didn't really like. (impulse buys mostly)

The long tartan skirt was difficult to pair to anything, and it's waist was a little messed up. I recall laying it on the donate pile, and putting it back in the closet two or three times as I debated whether to keep it or not. It had somewhat of a sentimental value being one of the first "swooshing" skirts I owned. I did finally put it in the donate bag, only to stop at that same GoodWill about a week later in a last ditch effort to buy it back.

Sadly, it wasn't on the rack which means it's either been sold, or shipped off to another store. In any event I'll probably never see it again, and that made me somewhat sad. :(

The good news, is thanks to my many trips to Misty Mountain, I have amassed quite a collection of long full skirts that do work with my hooped-petti, Amber says they give me somewhat of a "fairy" look. I probably have at least five skirts that are full enough to work with the hoop, not the least of which is photographed here.
crfriend wrote:In any event, the hoop is out of the petti and safely hanging from the moulding surrounding my closet and the petti is hanging from a curtain-rod because the closet seems to be cock-full of stuff, mainly skirts.
My hoop doesn't come out of it's petticoat, at least not from what I can see. Thus it would take up an enormous amount of space in the closet if I hung it up. The hoop is able to twist and bend in a way where I can double it back and it seems the best practice I can think of to store mine is simply in the shipping box it came in, and it sits on the shelf in the closet.

To be a fly on the wall of Carl's world! :P
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Unfortunately, I have no tales really to speak of.
Yet.
I'm ashamed to admit, but the skirt in the video I have redonated.
This happens. I just jettisoned a whole bunch of stuff that came out of my old place that I hadn't worn in years but that my ex wanted me to have. Unfortunately my bolo tie wasn't in the box. (I needed to clear one of my hallways that I can't fit down wearing the hoop...
The long tartan skirt was difficult to pair to anything, and it's waist was a little messed up.
That reminds me that I need to get a shot of mine. Unfortunately, the batteries in the camera are flat at the moment.
The good news, is thanks to my many trips to Misty Mountain, I have amassed quite a collection of long full skirts that do work with my hooped-petti, Amber says they give me somewhat of a "fairy" look.
Quiz her on the precise meaning of "fairy" (although I do not suspect she's using it in the slang meaning).
My hoop doesn't come out of it's petticoat, at least not from what I can see. Thus it would take up an enormous amount of space in the closet if I hung it up. The hoop is able to twist and bend in a way where I can double it back and it seems the best practice I can think of to store mine is simply in the shipping box it came in, and it sits on the shelf in the closet.
The box is likely best.
To be a fly on the wall of Carl's world! :P
Be careful -- for down that path lies madness. Recall that my ex- went mad, although that may just have been the Alzheimer's.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:Quiz her on the precise meaning of "fairy" (although I do not suspect she's using it in the slang meaning).
I think I know what you're getting at, though I had to give it the old "Urban Dictionary" lookup.

First definition is:
a male who acts slightly feminine but not neccessary means that they are gay.

Ehh... that's a pretty reasonable assessment of me.

Of course further down, there is a (considered derogatory) definition of being a flaming homosexual. While flame I may, attracted to other men I am not.

But as her and I both are what you would consider "heathens", and considering the fact she wants me to pair the outfit with a pair of wings, I suspect she means that I actually look like a "traditional" Walt Disney style fairy.

And that's okay with me. :D I like fairies.

And besides, when you've got fairy wings... you don't need a jet pack!

Just don your hoop petti, down a Red Bull and go at it man! :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Lad, ne'er discount the fair folk! Nor anger them. :)

See also: http://www.scotclans.com/scotland/scott ... -dunvegan/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:But as her and I both are what you would consider "heathens" [...]
Unlikely. As a non-believer I'd have no reason to attach such a label -- unless, that is, you happen to live in a heath, in which case all bets are off.
And besides, when you've got fairy wings... you don't need a jet pack!

Just don your hoop petti, down a Red Bull and go at it man! :lol:
'Tis a good thing I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I read that (and it's too early for ale anyway, that's at least another 20 minutes off). It's a great visual, though. The only problem is that'd I'd resemble a bumblebee...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:
moonshadow wrote: Unfortunately, I have no tales really to speak of.
Yet.
Today was the day!

I've had this petti for I suppose around a month or so now, and I must admit to putting off wearing it out and about in the world at large... mainly because it is, just so large. I felt it would attract a lot of attention.

In true Moon Shadow fashion, I decided to jump right in with the wolves. No need to go tip toeing around in safe (hipster) zones. I trekked my way into the land of the black mountains, the edge of Virginia coal country, where they solute Dixie and here lately, Trump flags- Russel, and Tazewell County U.S.A. I stopped at a gas station in Honaker Virginia to purchase some chips and a fountain soda, afterwards I drove towards town of Richlands VA and walked the streets taking pictures as I went (photos on flickr being uploaded later).

I received only one word. Literally, one.

It was a nice lady who said "hello" as she walked by. I returned her greeting.

No horns blowed, no homophobic shouts from cars, none of that... just like any other day wearing any ordinary skirt!

The weirdest part was being in the gas station in Honaker, as it was my first time actually among people in the wild. The petti keeps the skirt off my legs all the way from my waist down. I couldn't feel it on my hips, or anywhere below, and when you walk you still don't feel it. It was difficult to train my mind that I had anything on at all. As I walked the aisles selecting my merchandise, I couldn't shake this feeling that I was naked from the waist down! :shock:

The gas station was very busy with red necks and miner type people. -Very red. Little old ladies stared in amazement, many still in their Sunday dresses. It's probably been at least 50 years since they've seen another human being don a hoop-petti in a casual setting (non wedding), I'm sure they've NEVER seen a man wear one! But aside from the usual amount of turned heads, nothing happened.

On my way home I stopped at Walmart in Lebanon Virginia to get a few items on my way home. I walked the store and made my selections. Again, just some turned heads. The lady who rung me up was very friendly and somewhat chatty. No negative reactions were noted. I had Jenn snap the shot of me (below) before I left.

Conclusion: I didn't think I would, but it turns out, I really like the hoop-petti! I look forward to wearing it more often. It was a real hoot! Once I got over the usual butterflies of being out in something so unconventional, I really enjoyed myself. I've probably got about five or so skirts that will accommodate the hoop-petti, and I'd say that I'll include it quite often on future outings. I highly recommend this for those of you who have longer full skirts. It's quite an elegant experience!

One nice thing about the petti, is that with all the media coverage about crossdressers and transgender people, the hoop is a long forgotten about garment. It seems nobody, from regular biological women, to trans-women, to crossdressers in general wear them. Thus, when I wore it today, I felt truly unique, as though I was forging my own Moon Shadow style, with only one other man on this side of the Atlantic that I'm aware of (Carl in Massachusetts). Yep, people are really pushing the envelope with high heels, really short skirts, tights, makeup, so on and so forth.... but the hoop.... the hoop is a real gem. I'm glad I have one.

Driving with the hoop isn't as hard as one might think. The hoop itself is pretty flexible. I found myself sitting on the back side of the hoop in the drivers seat, but you don't notice it. You just have to make sure the rig is fully in the door way before you close the car door. Other than that, it presents no issues while driving, you just can't see your feet.
-Andrea
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Forgive me my ignorance but the only petticoat I remember from the 60s are the ones my sisters were wearing. My oldest sister was quite bold so she had even a petticoat with an inflatable hoop. The amount of air in the tube made the skirt stand out more or less. With my action with a bicycle pump, the tube became quite rigid. During a dance the tube sprang a leak and the contraption deflated.
The Internet showed me a sort of underskirts with multiple hoops and vertical strips of fabric to keep the hoops at a distance and on an even keel. Is this what you are talking of?
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pork-pie hat, check. Sparkly t-shirt (but still a t-shirt), check. Hooped pettti, check. All at once, 'Error". (Just kidding.)

I got some feedback today regarding my outing with the hoop a the weekend before this one. There's going to be a Thanksgiving breakfast at a favourite watering-hole, and it was made apparent that I was expected to be there. It was also stated that if I wanted to help with things, which I always do, to not "wear the lampshade dress" (which did hinder my ability to help with things due to the diameter of the hem). Everybody got a good laugh about it -- which is good -- and I stated that if I was expected to help out (which is reasonable) I'd tone it down a bit.

However, I've been challenged by the bar manager at another watering-hole (my old local) to the effect of, "Wear it in here next weekend!"

We shall see what happens.