Tales from the Brotherhood of the Hoop

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tales from the Brotherhood of the Hoop

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote: Hoops are an acquired taste and aren't for everybody. They demand a lot more attention to motion and location because of the volume they take up horizontally, and they're great for knocking things over if the wearer isn't paying attention (BTDT).
Indeed, an acquired taste. Framed skirt rigs are certainly a niche thing in the early 21st century. A category that would include cage type hoop skirts, farthingales, and panniers.

A few designers have started to take interest. For example, Vivenne Westwood and her pannier dress.

I expect that framed skirt rigs with appeal to a small number of enthusiasts. Probably people who are willing to try a different sensation in regards their lower body-in a way, by holding fabric away from legs, these rigs are similar to loin cloths.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Carl is correct, I have a hooped petticoat that has erm, 4 hoops I think, made out of light spring steel, removable and adjustable in size. It was an interesting experiment that takes quite a lot of management, it makes skirts feel more like bells, swinging around but almost never touching my legs. Sitting in a chair like my computer chair is interesting and not too comfortable. I tried driving while wearing it once, not easy and I had to straighten one of the hoops afterwards, not recommended!
Storage is also a problem, with a bit of effort I can fold the hoops and jam it into the box it arrived in. Like I said, it was an experiment, an interesting experience and definitely not for every day wear! One for pantomimes only I think!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

Hi, first off please forgive my ignorance here, I'm new to the site and have only been wearing skirts around the house and garden for about two years and these ones are pretty standard pencil and mini skirts with standard slips/underskirts.

I'm fascinated by this thread I'm guessing the hoops you're referring to are for underskirts similar to the types from Victorian times?

I've worn petticoats before to push out my skirts but this seems to be on a whole different level, are they not incredibly inconvenient, do you just keep them for special occasions or wear them about the house?

Again forgive my ignorance but it is fascinating and my curiosity is growing :wink:
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, is probably the best qualified to answer your questions as he has worn them out. My wife would have kittens if I showed any interest in a "The King and I" [0] long skirt or dress with all the hoops underneath.

[0] I think about the Yul Brynner/Deborah Kerr version and the extremely flared dresses that she wore. They certainly looked elegant.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

I wouldn't wear mine in public, I am not that much of an extrovert, I bought it out of curiosity, to see how awkward a skirt can be. Answer, very! It makes the skirt feel like a bell, very odd. Sitting down in a chair with arms is almost impossible, getting into a car without bending a hoop or two proved almost impossible. An amusing test, but haven't worn it in months!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I have worn mine very little, though I have taken it out in public a few times. B&B is correct, it very much resembles a "bell" and you can sway back and forth and make it "ring".

They're fun, but they can be cumbersome.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Epiceneguy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:51 amI'm fascinated by this thread I'm guessing the hoops you're referring to are for underskirts similar to the types from Victorian times?
Yes, precisely. Hoops came into existence in the 1850 reaching truly spectacular dimensions in the 1860s with full crinolines which had multiple hoops in them; that's how the "bell shape" that was popular at the time was formed. They started to fall out of vogue in the 1880s and were substantially replaced by petticoats which are unstructured.
I've worn petticoats before to push out my skirts but this seems to be on a whole different level, are they not incredibly inconvenient, do you just keep them for special occasions or wear them about the house?
I wear petticoats much of the time with my long skirts, especially in the winter-time. The hoop comes out every so often for fun -- and I have worn it in public a number of times.
Again forgive my ignorance but it is fascinating and my curiosity is growing :wink:
We learn by asking questions. Ignorance is trivially cured. All it takes is a question.

There are at least three of us in the community that have hoops, and the thread title was intended to be a bit humorous.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Yep, for me, I was curioous as I said, I have bought all sorts of skirt just to see what they felt like and how wearable they are/were. The 4 hoop underskirt which is dust gathering in the box it came crushed in, a few short ones, but being as I am monster sized I don't get on with those, don't like to go higher than the top of the knee. I like long, ankle length to floor length feels good to me, like a one legged pant. Got a couple with small trains, one as an experiment and one because I wanted a long cotton type skirt and couldn't find another in my size without a train.
I also like tight skirts, but they are almost impossible to get with a 44 inch gut and without a slit, don't like slits. My current favourite, is the skirt I am wearing now, blue stretchy stuff, knee length plus a bit, nice soft feel and is a very full A line so it moves a lot, incredibly comfortable but lacks pockets, can't have everything it seems!