the feeling of wearing a skirt.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Hemitom

the feeling of wearing a skirt.

Post by Hemitom »

im not sure if i posted this before but here it is anyway..

i have been thinking, for women, wearing a skirt/Dress is second nature from birth, they are dressed in frilly skirts and dresses from infant. and wear them with out a second thought. they have all different combinations of clothes. they can wear just about anything and get away with it without second looks or snarly comments from anyone.

Now, for men its a lot different, they are pretty much stuck with pants of meny styles. now, with that said I have since i started to wear skirts more i have really gotten to like the feel of the freedom of nothing between the legs to restrict movement . i also like the free flowing of the air under.
women on the other hand take that for granted. i guess they dont realize that men like it as well.

now, i know i said what everyone has said a million times but everyone has their levels and lengths if their skirts, mine are knee length and lower. im not into anything higher above the knee. i just feel like if its that high its too exposing to others. some of the miniskirts that some wear just doesnt look right. you bend over and you see everything,yea we got an extra package down there.

i have a number of skirts...a few denim,cotton,and other fabrics. i just wish i could show them...ill try to soon..
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Re: the feeling of wearing a skirt.

Post by Kilty »

Most guys only experience this when wearing a kilt, and thats mainly for special occasions. Yes fashion is very limited for guys but even with trousers some can get it very very wrong. Things have gone from the very baggy ghetto style to the almost leggings fit, and even very slim fit trousers.

I generally dont have anything shorter than knee length as well. Mainly formal skirts but also some denims. Kilts too, hence my name :wink:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I like the phrase " .... pants of meny styles .... ". Probably a typo on your part but appropriate and mildly amusing.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
SkirtedWelshman

Post by SkirtedWelshman »

Men do, I feel miss out on the feeling of wearing a skirt. I to, like the feeling of freedom the warm air under the skirt. No material between you legs when crossed. I mainly wear kilts, but am experimenting with shorter styles, as I get many complements on my legs. I enjoy both the freedom of a shorter skirt, combined with the constriction of movement in maintaining one's modesty.

Martin
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I'm OK out and about in skirts as short as 14 inches, and I know they must be fine as my twenty something daughter has been out with me wearing them in crowds. I do however have to take care with things like getting in/out of car and using stairs but then so do girls/women. I have even short skirts down to 10inches but they are only used in private garden, or perhaps a nip out to my garage to lock up after dark. TBH I do have just one utility kilt but at 24 inches I find that just far too long, I clearly like the shorter skirts for freedom, I do have the legs for them but I still take care.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Hemitom wrote:i have been thinking, for women, wearing a skirt/Dress is second nature from birth, they are dressed in frilly skirts and dresses from infant. and wear them with out a second thought. they have all different combinations of clothes. they can wear just about anything and get away with it without second looks or snarly comments from anyone.
I suspect it's not so cut and dry. Sometime when the opportunity presents, watch with a critical eye the behaviours of young women whilst wearing skirts, especially longer ones and in a semi-formal setting, and you'll see just precisely how uncommon skirts and dresses really are "in the wild" in the modern age. Typically they'll fight with their clothing like it was trying to kill them -- there's that little "clue". It's worst at "prom time" which may be the first time that some of them have been out of jeans or "leggings" (spit!). Second worst is at marriages of young couples. There, everybody looks uncomfortable and out of place, guys and gals both; the gals are trying to figure out what to do with the strange garment they're wearing, and the guys are doing the same thing, but in a more formal style of drab. It's hilarious and tragic at the same time.

I fondly recall one time at my old local haunt where there was either a prom or a wedding party getting out of their cars and were looking entirely dazed and confused (and were clearly fighting with their clothes) and I swept past in a long semi-formal skirt like I'd been wearing that sort of rig for my entire life. My ex, who trailed behind me deliberately as observer, commented, "I've never seen so many dirty looks at once in my life. Well done!"

Then there was one woman whom I definitely had designs on much earlier in my life who designed her own wedding gown, constructed the prototype herself as the test case -- and which to practise manoeuvring in -- and then the formal article which was astonishingly beautiful (I caught the bouquet at the wedding, a long story). She was always interested in theatre, and I recall an even earlier time when she was fighting with a long gown that she had to wear on stage, and I made a few snarky comments. The retort was, "Sooner or later I'll see you in a floor-length dress and we'll finish the argument then." I need to look her up; I think I'll win the 40 year old argument, especially if I show up so attired.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Carl, I think you have a point about younger women and girls with formal dresses, but around here, most seem to do OK with regular length skirts and dresses, knee length and shorter. (Although you can tell when they are going much shorter than they usually do) I have found that I have sometimes got a little too comfortable in skirts, and have had some near exposures.

I have had a few conversations with women about my skirt wearing, where they have complemented me on getting ahead of the curve. "If men knew how good it feels to wear skirts, there would a lot more wearing them!" that sort of thing.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Excellent observations, perhaps soon men will be the custodians of the lore of dress and skirt wearing. :shock:

I've been fairly good since starting at getting in and out of the car by sitting, then swinging my legs in as a pair, more or less, and reversing the procedure on exiting the car.

Yesterday I observed myself with some shock, as wearing my mini I just stepped into the car with my right leg and sat, then brought the left leg in. It wouldn't have worked with a knee-length pencil skirt, and I don't "think" I flashed anything under the skirt when I did it (half-slip or whatever), plus the car was in the way. Anyway, not just social conditioning, but the habits of a lifetime for most of us. :D
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

I'll have to pay attention more, but the young woman I see most is very much familiar with wearing skirts and dresses.

Carl, I laughed aloud at the party incident you mentioned. Great story.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I like the OP's statement and agree with it. It is a unique feeling as opposed to wearing pants. And as a man wearing a skirt I do feel at times like I'm "getting away" with something verboten. It adds an extra element to the psychology of it all. I've often wondered if I'd feel the same if I grew up with men wearing skirts as the norm. Probably not.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Darryl,
Being left-handed I stick my LEFT leg into the car first, , sit down and hoist my right leg in afterwards. I then turn my head to the left to talk to my passenger(s) and I select 'Drive' with my left hand. Funny, you might say!

We even drive on the left, well most of the time, anyway. :bom:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Darryl wrote:Yesterday I observed myself with some shock, as wearing my mini I just stepped into the car with my right leg and sat, then brought the left leg in. It wouldn't have worked with a knee-length pencil skirt, and I don't "think" I flashed anything under the skirt when I did it (half-slip or whatever), plus the car was in the way. Anyway, not just social conditioning, but the habits of a lifetime for most of us. :D
It is a major event to adjust the way we grew up to the reality of moving about in a skirt. The first time I sat in public with a skirt was in a bank. There were 3 women sitting in the waiting area. I was extremely cautious about how I sat down , how I kept my legs as I sat and how I got up and adjusted my skirt etc. I guess my concern was so obvious, that one of the ladies who was in the waiting area leaned over and with a smile said "it ain't easy is it."
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed BBCode formatting
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Gordon wrote:as a man wearing a skirt I do feel at times like I'm "getting away" with something verboten. It adds an extra element to the psychology of it all. I've often wondered if I'd feel the same if I grew up with men wearing skirts as the norm. Probably not.
I had a similar reaction the first time I appeared in public wearing one pipe (a Utilikilt). Below the waist, I felt the most physical comfort that I ever had. :D While psychologically I was acutely self conscious, because I was violating a taboo. :shock:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:The first time I sat in public with a skirt was in a bank. There were 3 women sitting in the waiting area. I was extremely cautious about how I sat down , how I kept my legs as I sat and how I got up and adjusted my skirt etc. I guess my concern was so obvious, that one of the ladies who was in the waiting area leaned over and with a smile said "it ain't easy is it."
That is positively classic, sir, and thanks for sharing it.

True enough, no male in modern western culture is likely to have any clue about how to properly wear a skirt until he gets used to it, mainly by practise, trial, and error (mostly the latter, it seems) and it becomes instinctual over time. Girls (used to) get this hammered into their heads as wee lasses by their mums, but nowadays modern mothers may have perhaps only worn a skirt a few times in their lives, and their daughters may never wear one, save, perhaps, for their wedding day.

At least one of the ladies put it to you seemingly quite courteously. A nice comeback might have been, "No, but I'll get the hang of it eventually".

See my commentary about "fighting with one's clothing" for more details.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Foremost for me it is a feeling of comfort. Also doing something that is not seen as normal in the current society adds a little to the feeling.
About 25 year back I bought a few skirts and dresses as an experiment, just to try out how it would feel. When I was satisfied I dumped the clothing but feeling stayed. That made me start wearing skirts a few years ago when I found out about men wearing skirts on the Internet. Also the freedom of movement and the feeling of the fabric against your legs is liberating. I hope we have a short winter. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak