Skirt lengths

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Skirt lengths

Post by hoborob »

I am curious as to how the folks here define skirt lengths. There in particular seems to be some confusion as to what a miniskirt is. I have seen photos that range from just covering the lower anatomy down to mid-calf all being called miniskirts. It leaves me with an Ummm sort of perspective when I was under the impression that a miniskirt was short enough that it barely covered the behind. Maybe my understanding is incorrect and I need better info.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Skirt lengths

Post by crfriend »

Part of the problem is that there is no universally-accepted answer.

I tend to use the old 1960's definition that differentiated a "mini-skirt" from a simple "short skirt" that stipulated that it's a "mini-skirt" if when relaxed at one's sides the tips of one's fingers touched bare (or stockinged at the time; bare legs hadn't "come in" yet as "fashion") legs. It's a useful definition and gets around all the malarkey of rigid linear measurements that don't take the human form's natural variation into account.

Prudish school administrators tended to demand that the hemline touch the ground when the wearer was kneeling (a nice submissive posture that must've brought glee to many badly-repressed school administrators at the time). Perhaps they still do, and possibly for the same reason.

But, most certainly, if a skirt is knee-length or longer there's no way it's a mini. Full stop. Quite a few above-the-knee skirts aren't minis either, but are merely short skirts (which are a joy, both to look at and to wear).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

This is the opinion of Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniskirt

Seems right to me.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

crfriend wrote:Part of the problem is that there is no universally-accepted answer.

But, most certainly, if a skirt is knee-length or longer there's no way it's a mini. Full stop. Quite a few above-the-knee skirts aren't minis either, but are merely short skirts (which are a joy, both to look at and to wear).
I like to wear short skirts. They are about 15to 17 inches long about 5 inches above the center of my knee cap. I call them mini skirts. I have s couple of really short skirts about 12 to 13 inches long . I call them micros. I have some that are just above my knee. I call them business length skirts. and the ones in between 18 to about 20 inches I just call them short skirts. It doesn't matter what you call them or what length they are . As long as you are decent wear whatever length makes you happy
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

crfriend wrote:Part of the problem is that there is no universally-accepted answer.

I tend to use the old 1960's definition that differentiated a "mini-skirt" from a simple "short skirt" that stipulated that it's a "mini-skirt" if when relaxed at one's sides the tips of one's fingers touched bare (or stockinged at the time; bare legs hadn't "come in" yet as "fashion") legs. It's a useful definition and gets around all the malarkey of rigid linear measurements that don't take the human form's natural variation into account.
crfriend wrote:But, most certainly, if a skirt is knee-length or longer there's no way it's a mini. Full stop. Quite a few above-the-knee skirts aren't minis either, but are merely short skirts (which are a joy, both to look at and to wear).
Whilst I'd agree with the general premise here, there is some suggestion that proportionally we gentlemen tend to have longer torsos and shorter legs than our female counterparts; this may just be a skewed perception influenced by mass media. If proven correct, though, it raises the possibility that a short skirt on a man would be a mini-skirt on a woman, and vice versa, because of where the waistband sits on the wearer's body.

Having said that, if a woman's arms extend farther down the legs as a result of the above hypothesis, then she would likely look more "ape-like"! I suspect there are "tolerances" in the variations.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

That Wikipaedia info is correct, of course. Like most young men I found them very attractive on slim girls at the time and it was in the 60's that I was 'active' in this field and fell for a miniskirted Home Counties lass, tying the knot in 1969. At that time she played Ladies Lacrosse for England and I served time standing on touchlines watching her and her friends flash their thighs. Her red England lacrosse kilt measured 18" to the hem. Demure enough, but on her 'inside leg' measurement of 34" it was Mini, alright.

Before we were yet married we visited Rome and found out that her minis were not allowed inside basilicas & churches, so we had to procure something knee-length for this purpose. She is now 70 and nowadays will only flash her thighs on a beach or at home in the garden on hot days.

It was much later on that I started experimenting with (mini)skirts, myself. I initially flirted with shorts-length 17 inchers, but settled for at or a bit above the knee, the 21 to 24 inch range, which I find comfortable and look well.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

I tend to like the fingertips to leg definition of a mini-skirt. Simple, and accounts for all variations of where the garment is placed vertically. Of course, that doesn't help the salesmen trying to market skirts according to length, as a 14" worn on the hips might be a short skirt for a short person, but an 18" worn on the waist would be decidedly mini on me.

Interestingly, if one goes by Carl's definition, a mini would (if my estimate of where my buttocks ends is correct) be up to about 5-1/2" below the buttocks on me, but that would only allow for my middle finger to touch leg, If all fingers must touch leg, then subtract another inch, and considering my height, that's pretty much the Wiki definition. I am working without a rule at hand, so I won't vouch for perfection in these numbers, though.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"