Shopping in a kilt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Shopping in a kilt

Post by beachlion »

I had to do some shopping, Home Depot and Rite Aid. With the cold and rainy weather, I wore a kilt and long woolen socks. It was my first time to shops where they knew me. Not more than a few surprised looks from the crew and customers. I'm getting more confidence being in a kilt in the open. So Allentown and surroundings will see more of me in a kilt. :wink:
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Shopping in a kilt

Post by Fred in Skirts »

beachlion wrote:I had to do some shopping, Home Depot and Rite Aid. With the cold and rainy weather, I wore a kilt and long woolen socks. It was my first time to shops where they knew me. Not more than a few surprised looks from the crew and customers. I'm getting more confidence being in a kilt in the open. So Allentown and surroundings will see more of me in a kilt. :wink:

Keep up the great work here. I now wear skirts all of the time and go anywhere I want to in them. I think i is just a fantastic way of dressing, so comfortable.

Fred :kiltdance:

"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:I had to do some shopping, Home Depot and Rite Aid. With the cold and rainy weather, I wore a kilt and long woolen socks. It was my first time to shops where they knew me. Not more than a few surprised looks from the crew and customers. I'm getting more confidence being in a kilt in the open. So Allentown and surroundings will see more of me in a kilt.
Congratulations and keep going! It only gets easier.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Keep it up Beachlion the more you wear your Kilts the more compliments you will get. I've been wearing my kilts every weekend for the last 18 months everywhere I go and get compliments most weekends :D
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Today was a nice day, sunny and temperatures mid 60s. It felt like April. Around 7PM I started my weekly shopping at the local supermarkt Redner's. It was quiet as usual. Walking around in a black kilt and long sock raised a few eyebrows and that was it. It is always nice to feel the breeze while walking the parking lot.
IMG_0878q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

You look great and it sounds like things are going very well. Congratulations!

Who took the picture?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I have a TomTom Bandit action cam. I put it at the spot of the shopping cart where you can put the little kiddies. And the remote control does the rest.
This is the whole picture.
IMG_0878qq.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:I have a TomTom Bandit action cam. I put it at the spot of the shopping cart where you can put the little kiddies. And the remote control does the rest.
Clever approach!

caultron
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Most days I shop in a kilt. A year ago I got into the habit of driving over to the supermarket cafeteria each morning for a coffee, and a look through the newspapers they have there for customer perusal. No-one takes any notice any more of the kilts I wear; I think I've become part of the scenery.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Today it was even warmer than yesterday, almost 68F. I started the day in a black skirt. At breakfast two friends of my wife joined us. They are sligthly sceptical but their main concern is me being mugged when going out. They fear the attitude of some people have changed for the worse under the new government. I'm less concerned.
Around 4PM, I had to go to Rite Aid to get some pills for my wife. I changed into my black kilt, long socks and a red light jacket because I still don't have the guts to go in a skirt. A 20 minute walk and halfway a busy street to cross. The breeze was blowing the apron up but the snap in the middle of the apron kept everything decent. No reaction, not even from a bus opposite me that had to wait to turn. No reaction from the customers beside a raised eyebrow. It was nice to be out and feeling the freedom. Tomorrow I go to the barber in a kilt. The ladies will have some comment for sure. :wink:
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I went to the grocery store for our regular weekly shopping. During the day, it was quite windy and cold. I was woodworking in the black kilt but before I would change into jeans, I tested the weather and the wind had died. So just my long socks on and I was good to go. The only reactions I saw were from two ladies who were watching me with a smile and a curious look in their eyes. I think it is time to get my other kilts out of the moth balls.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Yesterday, I was wearing my camo kilt. I was thinking of going shopping in it. It was quite windy so I tried to make some snap between the front and the back flap. Whatever I tried, the fabric was bulging somewhere. So I changed inti the black kilt.
First stop was Price Rite for coffee. Saturday around 7:00PM is rush hour there so I had to wait about 15 minutes in the queue at the so called express line. A guy in front of me was quite talkative to nobody in particular. At a certain moment he turned and checked me out from top to bottom. "Do they have those in Scotland?" he asked. "And in Ireland as the folklore goes." And I added that people wear them also for practical causes like my UtKilt. I told him that it was the comfort for me. I told him I came from the Netherlands and we discussed the differences NL vs USA. When he walked away he said:"You are right, don't let the girls have all the fun."

Then to Redner's, my regular grocery. I was earlier than usual and it was quite crowded at the parking. But in the large shop, it did not looked that crowdy. At the beginning of my shopping run a lady said:"I like your outfit." Her husband had other ideas about it according to his face. Beside a few double takes I did not see other reactions. I hope the next time it will be less windy.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I'm still in the middle of my wooden bandsaw project and I needed some hardware. I changed from a skirt into the black kilt and went to Lowe's. I found almost all the stuff I went for and had to wait quite a while at the register. With two carts in front of me, I was standing in the lane along the whole front of the shop. From the corner of my eye I could see passing people observing me. One woman was hanging over her cart and was fumbling with a cell/smart phone. Maybe she took a sneaky picture. But was all of the reactions.

Shortly I will go out into my regular outside world in a black skirt with the same contour as the kilt. Also I'm preparing a denim skirt with a similar contour. I feel more and more comfortable in a kilt so I'm ripe to make the next move. ;)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:...Shortly I will go out into my regular outside world in a black skirt with the same contour as the kilt. Also I'm preparing a denim skirt with a similar contour. I feel more and more comfortable in a kilt so I'm ripe to make the next move.
Glad your confidence is improving! I'm sure you'll find that wearing a skirt in public attracts no more attention than wearing a kilt.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I went out shopping today wearing my new long skirt and a tee shirt all in a nice shade of green. I went first to Wal-Mart to pick up my new cross body bag and then to Publix stupor markup. While in Publix I noticed several people looking at me and all I did was smile. :D I did notice one man while I was waiting for checkout staring at me from a few stations away. He seemed to be unsure what he was looking at, :scratch: but he was too far away to say anything to him.
The skirt is almost ankle length and is of very soft material and felt so nice swishing on my legs. When I bought the skirt it was a little snug but when I put it on today it was a lot looser, must be losing some weight. If it gets any loser I will need to have it adjusted by a competent seamstress. I just might have it shortened a bit as well.
So I am alway happiest when I am skirted and I am now always skirted. :thewave:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.