Skirt Wearing Tips

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Yonkas
Distinguished Member

Skirt Wearing Tips

Post by Yonkas »

I thought I would start a thread where members can share what they have found works, and what doesn't work. Obviously, opinions and tastes will differ, and I encourage others to share what they think works, too. I don't claim to be an expert, but still I think I have some valuable tips I can share, especially with beginners.

Here is what I have learned wearing skirts to work after about a year and a half:

How to make your package less noticeable -

The problem: Yes, men have a bulge, and that's natural. Unfortunately, we live in a silly society that is both uncomfortable with even the hint of genitalia (and even non genitalia, since women aren't supposed to show their breasts). Even worse, men who do things that are seen as overtly feminine are unfortunately seen as perverts and weirdos, and so the presence of a willy tossing around under the skirt, while tolerable in a more enlightened society, has a danger of contributing to this perception.

The solution: I have found that tights, skirt under-shorts (basically, short tights), and compression shorts do a good job of keeping your member in check. At first, I wore compression shorts, but those can be a little thick at the waistband, but still, they do the trick. These days, I either wear skirt under-shorts or tights. I am 6'2'' and ~260 lbs, so it can be somewhat difficult to find them in my size, but not impossible. Walmart is usually a good bet, though if you want to spend a little more money, you can find them at stores catering to plus size women, like Torrid.

Don't try to tie your member into place. Ouch. :cry:

Colors and Patterns -

If you just starting out, and you are like me, you suck at color matching. Even when you think you have the hang of it, it isn't uncommon for your wife (or husband) to chime in and tell you how poorly the colors you are wearing match. I swear, sometimes it just seems like everyone's playing a big joke, and no colors actually match. Thus, obviously, I am no authority on color matching, but I can give some valuable advice for beginners -- make sure you have lots of neutral shirts. That includes, black, white, grey, navy blue, and sometimes brown. Make sure you have at least one pair of neutral colored shoes. These are your friends, and will save you from much agony and wasted time in trying to find a top--any top that doesn't make you look (or at least how you think you might look) crazy.

Try to find solid-colored skirts. Patterns are tricky. If you want to wear a pattern, but you are inexperienced, wear only one, and then a neutral. Avoid combining non-neutrals with patterns until you are more experienced, and avoid full body patterns.

The same goes for texture, especially for shiny fabrics. Please, for the love of god, don't wear a shiny shirt with a shiny skirt (at least not until you have a better fashion sense).

How not to look so top heavy -

The problem: You put on a skirt, with just an undershirt on, and look in the mirror. So far, so good. Then, you put a button down shirt on, which you expected to look amazing. Then, you look in the mirror and behold that you have transformed into Shrek.

The solution: If you are like me, not only are you very rectangular, which is not the shape skirt designers had in mind, but you also have a bit of a gut that you don't want to draw attention to. I have found that to counteract this, I need to wear tops that look slimming. Here, we can turn to conventional fashion advice. Dark tops do much to slim you down, however, they are not always necessary. What you need is a shirt that does not hug your belly. Make sure that the shirt accentuates your shoulders and flanks. It should not be too tight, but it should not be baggy either. And, if you are overweight, avoid accentuating your belly. That probably means avoiding tucking in your shirt. Now, I am aware that some members always wear their shirts tucked in. Please don't take this as criticism. I am just saying that if you are a newbie, tucking in your shirt is probably best left until you have a better fashion sense, since it draws attention to your midsection. Also, I know it's tempting, but don't situate the skirt waist at your hips so that your belly hangs over it. Situate it at your waist, where it was meant to be worn. Not doing this makes you look sloppy and leads to what I call front-biasing of the skirt, where the front of the skirt hangs lower than the back.

Best types of shirts to combine with skirts -

The wrong kind of shirt can, again, make you look sloppy. Remember that men's shirts were tailored without any consideration for skirts.

Fortunately, flat-bottomed shirts don't suffer from this limitation, and usually work with pretty much any skirt. The flat bottom complements the skirt hem, and is unobtrusive. I don't recommend tucking your shirt in unless you are thin. It is likely to make you look top heavy. Tee shirts that aren't baggy work surprisingly well with skirts, and can even look unexpectedly professional, especially if they are long sleeved with an undershirt worn under. You also can't go wrong with flat bottomed sport shirts and polos, assuming that they fit well. Sears is a good place to find these kinds of shirts.

Variable hemmed shirts are trickier, and I haven't entirely figured then out. If you want to wear a variable hemmed shirt, try to find one that is meant to be worn not tucked in. Gap is a good place to find these kinds of shirts. Never wear a shirt that is meant to be tucked in, out. It looks sloppy. This is why I avoid wearing dress shirts with skirts. The only thing further I can recommend here is, in shopping for variable hemmed shirts, bring a skirt with you so that you can see the full effect in the mirror in the dressing room.

As a rule of thumb, your skirt should be the "biggest looking" part of your clothing (to avoid looking top heavy)--or at least as big as your shirt, even if it physically isn't. This translates to scaling your shirt with your skirt. For long skirts, you can get away with wearing thicker or larger shirts, and wearing more layers. For shorter skirts, thinner or smaller is better.

Don't try to compensate for your "reduced manliness" -

This is counter-intuitive. We might feel that by wearing something manly on top, it might counteract the "femininity" of the skirt we are wearing on the bottom, but don't do it. It doesn't work.

There are a few reasons for this. First, by trying to look too manly on top you risk looking top heavy. Second, manliness and femininity are not additive. Adding more of one does not necessarily counteract the other (though it can). To see this, simply imagine wearing a frilly tutu of organza, and now try to think of the manliest top you can put on. Not only does it not reduce the femininity of the tutu, but it also looks preposterous, which brings us to the third reason - consistency. I think people expect consistency in your expression (which is likely why it is so frowned upon to wear mismatching patterns and colors, come to think of it). Having a manly top and a feminine bottom creates dissonance.

Now, please don't take this as me suggesting that if you are wearing a taffeta number on the bottom, you should throw on a taffeta top, as well (though, if you can figure out how to do that, more power to you). Rather, I mean shift your thinking. Don't think in terms of counteracting. Think in terms of not "overdoing it." That means the safest bet is wearing a gender-neutral top.

So, what if your skirt is flouncy? If you are worried about your "man card" (ugh), then I suggest not wearing a flouncy skirt to begin with, but if you really do want to wear one, wear it confidently, and proudly. That means your shirt is secondary to it. By attempting to "counteract it" with masculinity, all you are doing is showing how self-conscious you are.

Skirt Length -

This is really a corollary to the last section, but is important enough to mention by itself. Longer skirts are safer to wear (assuming they aren't patterned) because they compliment more male tops. But wear whatever length floats your boat. Just make sure the top you wear doesn't overpower it.

Shoes and Socks -

On, this topic I can't really offer a good reason for any of my preferences, so I will just state them, and leave it at that.

I think it looks best when my socks aren't too visible. For some reason, socks that are too visible paired with a skirt look awkward, and give an appearance of nakedness (counter-intuitively). I don't know why this is, and I also don't know if others feel this way, but I am just putting it out there.

Tennis shoes are risky to wear with skirts, and can easily look sloppy. I suspect this has to do with the fact that skirts are considered "dressier" than pants. Boat shoes work well, but only with nearly invisible socks. Boots work well, and you can wear slightly longer socks with them. IMO, up to the knees, the taller the boot, the less risky it is to wear.

Legs -

If you are not going to wear tights or long skirts, shave 'em. I know, I know. We're men, and men don't shave their legs, yada, yada, but men don't wear skirts either. Society has certain expectations about the ensemble you wear. Obviously, we are subverting this somewhat by wearing skirts, but not shaving your legs with a short skirt, in this society, makes you look sloppy (though, I would guess that this doesn't apply to kilts). Hairy legs with a short skirt makes society less likely to accept male skirt-wearing, not more, simply because society thinks it looks bad to begin with.

Look at what fashionable women closest to your size wear, and look at what Metrosexuals wear -
Take advantage of territory that's already been explored. Obviously, women's figures are likely going to differ from your figure, so not everything will work, but some things will. For example, anything concerning the the legs up to the thighs will probably apply to you, as well. Women also come in many different shapes and sizes, and, fortunately, there are now places like Torrid that cater to women whose bodies don't satisfy conventional (and often unreasonable) standards of beauty.

The same goes for metrosexuals. While they don't wear skirts, it isn't uncommon to find them wearing things women are likelier to wear than men. Try to apply their fashion sense to your own.

Finding affordable, but fashionable skirts -

Burlington Coat Factory has an excellent selection of trendy plus-size skirts at reasonable prices.

Well, that wraps it up for me. I hope to hear some other's tips on this subject.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Wearing Tips

Post by Grok »

Unshaved legs are okay with a kilt. A kilt is relatively long, and combined with kilt hose (or plain old socks) there isn't much leg showing.

However, I can imagine the hairy legs thing being a liability if you should wear a garment shorter than a kilt.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I've been mostly to Lane Bryant, but they sometimes don't have what I'm looking for, so I expanded to Dress Barn. Both of them had no problem with putting me in a changing room to try things on.

Then I went online and found something in the miniskirt size I wanted at Torrid. They also were very laid back and kewl with a male customer. In all three locations above I went skirted in subdued colors...ok, black skirt and blue polo shirt.

JC Penney was the worst, after searching the entire store, it seemed like, I found a mini that would work nicely at the gym. For $8 I didn't bother trying it on, just held it to my waist and it went side-to-side, elastic waistband. It works.

I've been wearing my 48R Chaps Navy blazer and today picked my size 26 Lane Bryant Ponte jacket up from the tailor, who shortened the sleeves about half an inch. As it is unlined, a men's white cotton long-sleeve dress shirt has too much friction to take the jacket off without inverting the sleeves unless you catch it and hold the sleeve. So now I'm going to find a silky, smooth, soft - yet manly - top to wear in skirt-suit mode. :D The Jacket: http://www.lanebryant.com/apparel/plus- ... a&mcid=PPC The skirt: https://www.dressbarn.com/detail/roz-al ... 761609/150

Wore it to a Christian "mom & pop" BBQ place, (2nd time there) and posted a write-up/review on FB and they gave me a free lunch. Everyone was friendly, though I doubt it hurt that I was with a young lady. Every other place I wore it, I seem to have been well received and my friend's mom thought it looked good and was a good color match and could easily be worn to the office. 8)
Yonkas
Distinguished Member

Post by Yonkas »

Darryl wrote:I've been mostly to Lane Bryant, but they sometimes don't have what I'm looking for, so I expanded to Dress Barn. Both of them had no problem with putting me in a changing room to try things on.

Then I went online and found something in the miniskirt size I wanted at Torrid. They also were very laid back and kewl with a male customer. In all three locations above I went skirted in subdued colors...ok, black skirt and blue polo shirt.

JC Penney was the worst, after searching the entire store, it seemed like, I found a mini that would work nicely at the gym. For $8 I didn't bother trying it on, just held it to my waist and it went side-to-side, elastic waistband. It works.

I've been wearing my 48R Chaps Navy blazer and today picked my size 26 Lane Bryant Ponte jacket up from the tailor, who shortened the sleeves about half an inch. As it is unlined, a men's white cotton long-sleeve dress shirt has too much friction to take the jacket off without inverting the sleeves unless you catch it and hold the sleeve. So now I'm going to find a silky, smooth, soft - yet manly - top to wear in skirt-suit mode. :D The Jacket: http://www.lanebryant.com/apparel/plus- ... a&mcid=PPC The skirt: https://www.dressbarn.com/detail/roz-al ... 761609/150

Wore it to a Christian "mom & pop" BBQ place, (2nd time there) and posted a write-up/review on FB and they gave me a free lunch. Everyone was friendly, though I doubt it hurt that I was with a young lady. Every other place I wore it, I seem to have been well received and my friend's mom thought it looked good and was a good color match and could easily be worn to the office. 8)
Dress Barn has pretty stuff, but it also seems to be quite expensive. That being said, strangely, I have never had much luck with them. I just recently tried to find something at one, and all they had was one skirt I was interested in.

Torrid is badass. They have nice stuff, and it fits well. The only problem is that it is very pricey.

I have never been impressed with Lane Bryant. Perhaps they've changed.

I find your impression of J.C. Penney interesting. I had quite the opposite experience with them lately. In fact, I am currently sitting here, typing in a faux leather skirt that I bought from them on the weekend, along with two other skirts.

What I am wearing:
http://www.jcpenney.com/liz-claiborne-p ... Zbg&page=6

What I wore yesterday:
http://www.jcpenney.com/worthington-sol ... 1z13zduZbg

I don't much like their men's shirts, though.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Grok wrote:Unshaved legs are okay with a kilt. A kilt is relatively long, and combined with kilt hose (or plain old socks) there isn't much leg showing.

However, I can imagine the hairy legs thing being a liability if you should wear a garment shorter than a kilt.

I'm in the leave the hairy legs group. I wear shorts and don't shave my legs I don't. Think it would be any diffrent when wearing a skirt. I don't mind people knowing I'm. A hairy guy in a skirt.
My wife loves my hairy legs, now if I only could get her to like them in a skirt.
In general I have never figured out the leg shaving thing with the ladies anyway.
I have told my wife she don't have to shave her legs, I don't make my wife do anything that I would not be willing to do. sometimes she let's them get fuzzy :) cheetah girl :) peach fuzz ladies legs are not really hairy in the same way guys legs are.

So be a man and leave the hair.
Here is a picture of my skirted hairy legs
Mishawaka
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Regarding the "package" (bulge)... if you're like me, and have a bit of a belly, use it to your advantage! Following Yonkas advice about wearing the skirt on the natural waist (which is just a bit above the navel) allows the skirt to drape off your belly and not your hip, it always hides the bulge.... always.

I also suggest wearing the skirt high on the waist as I just favor the look, not only in skirts but even in trousers. I've often found that a long torso looks slobby. I've begun wearing women's tops as they tend to terminate at the high hip unlike men's tops that may go all the way down past the hip. Some tops I tuck in, some I don't. I've gotten a little ribbing here on the site for tucking tops in, but I still find the look favorable, and at the end of the day, I'm the one that has to be comfortable with it.

Regarding "Shrek" (the top heavy look), as my top part is roughly the same size as the bottom half of me, this isn't a major problem of mine, but I'd venture a good guess that a wide petticoat might help the extreme "apples" among us. A longer skirt that has a good flare at the bottom would help offset a top-heavy look, especially if the skirt was fixed at the natural waist NOT the hip.

Just a few of my thoughts....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yonkas, I'm sorry if what I am about to say offends but then I'm a fairly blunt adoptive Yorkie. There was a thread about the perceptible willy and lots of comment about the dos and don'ts. I found your remarks on this topic, whilst not offensive, somewhat uncomfortable to me. If I was wearing shorts or trousers the bulge would show so why should I bother trying to disguise the bulge with a skirt. I wear some bodycon skirts that definitely show a bulge. Don't sweat it - let others deal with it. I'm not a pervert or an exhibitionist but a man with manly bulges, including man boobs that come with getting older and I don't try and strap them down either. Women show far more of their bulges including some that they shouldn't such as camel toes on rare occasions. I notice and inwardly cringe but deal with it and move on.

As for legs again don't try and issue orders as that was how it came across. I wouldn't shave with shorts and so don't with skirts and there are many others like me. And some not.

By all means have a section where we can share what we feel works and what doesn't but on the whole I found your missive far too long, formulaic and contained too many commands. I would ignore pretty much most of your advice and wear what I want to wear and look good in. Maybe I'm unusual in intuitively having a good sense of style and colour co-ordination so can put together some nice outfits. There are several others on this site whose style choices contravene many of your commands and rock on in their looks. I could but won't name names but just look in the pics and looks section.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Yonkas
Distinguished Member

Post by Yonkas »

Sinned wrote:Yonkas, I'm sorry if what I am about to say offends but then I'm a fairly blunt adoptive Yorkie. There was a thread about the perceptible willy and lots of comment about the dos and don'ts.
I saw that thread, but it seemed mostly to be posts from people pushing back against the concept rather than giving advice for how to keep it in check--but then again, I only read like the first two pages.
Sinned wrote:I found your remarks on this topic, whilst not offensive, somewhat uncomfortable to me. If I was wearing shorts or trousers the bulge would show so why should I bother trying to disguise the bulge with a skirt.
I hear you. In an ideal society, where people weren't silly prudes who subscribe to rigid masculinity requirements, there would be no reason to worry about this, but we aren't. People, in general, aren't logical like you are, and society has all kinds of double standards where something in one situation is not permissible in another. Why, for instance, is wearing a bikini on a public beach fine, but wearing just panties and a bra out in the city frowned upon or "embarrassing"?

Also, it's a physically different situation, too. Pants constrain your member so that it stays put, and don't reveal the contours of your anatomy. Skirts have no such restrictions, and so you are free to flop around unabated, and if it's made of thin material, sometimes, you can see more than just a bulge. In fact, I think this applies to more than just skirts. In general, the less society sees of your member, the better. This is partly why male ballet dancers wear dance belts. It's also why some swimming jock straps are encouraged for males at public pools.

Finally, I think you are misinterpreting what I am saying. I am not suggesting to completely hide your bulge, but to keep it in check. Don't let it be distracting, which pants do a good job of.

Obviously, you can do what you want, but my personal opinion, supported only by how I think other humans think is that you are shooting yourself (and our cause) in the foot if you don't try to do this.
Sinned wrote:I wear some bodycon skirts that definitely show a bulge.
Is it distracting?
Sinned wrote:Don't sweat it - let others deal with it.
If you don't care about having people come around to our cause, so that, for example, we might someday no longer have to worry about getting randomly assaulted by some idiot(s) in public(it happens) for wearing a skirt, then certainly don't sweat it. I want people to look at what I wear and think, "hey, that DOES work!" I don't see how that can be done if they perceive me as wagging my member in their face. We need to take baby steps. Society doesn't like to change too quickly.
Sinned wrote:I'm not a pervert or an exhibitionist but a man with manly bulges, including man boobs that come with getting older and I don't try and strap them down either.
To each his own. As I said, you can do what you want, and it might work for you, and look fine. This is just my opinion.
Sinned wrote:Women show far more of their bulges including some that they shouldn't such as camel toes on rare occasions. I notice and inwardly cringe but deal with it and move on.
Right, but there's no taboo associated with the clothing women wear when this happens.
Sinned wrote:As for legs again don't try and issue orders as that was how it came across.
I'm not. Sorry if it came across that way, but in my defense, I did preface the post with
Yonkas wrote:Obviously, opinions and tastes will differ, and I encourage others to share what they think works, too. I don't claim to be an expert, but still I think I have some valuable tips I can share, especially with beginners."
I thought the notion that this was just my opinion was implicit in this. Furthermore, what I had to say mostly applied to beginners still uncomfortable with going out skirted in public, not to people who have been doing this for a while. I will try to be more explicit next time.
Sinned wrote: I wouldn't shave with shorts and so don't with skirts and there are many others like me. And some not.
Again, that's logical, but the problem, again, is society is not logical. Society thinks skirts go with shaven legs. Furthermore, this also dovetails with another point I made, which is combining masculine with feminine can create dissonance and make you appear absurd to others. Hairy legs are seen as masculine (which is silly, yes), and so I think that, if you pair them with a more feminine garment, people find that disconcerting or awkward looking. I mean, look at "humorous" caricatures of transvestites, such as in this example, http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Okama. Society does not consider hairy legs matched with skirts flattering. Blame society, not me.
Sinned wrote:By all means have a section where we can share what we feel works and what doesn't but on the whole I found your missive far too long
That's probably true.
Sinned wrote:, formulaic and contained too many commands.
Well, that's the most direct way of communicating my tips, and I did describe them as such. What should I have done? Pad my tips with defusing language such as, "Again, this just my opinion"?

I think a "blunt Yorkie" such as you can appreciate the desire to express your opinion as concisely as possible. :P
Sinned wrote:I would ignore pretty much most of your advice and wear what I want to wear and look good in.
You are perfectly within your rights to do that. You obviously have developed your own style, and are a veteran. As such, you don't really need any tips to begin with.
Last edited by Yonkas on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

mishawakaskirt, most women when wearing skirts also wear hosiery of some sort, whether they are stocking, Thigh Highs, Pantyhose or Tights. The issue with that is that the smashed down hair under the hosiery is not flattering at all. I have also seen photos of males wearing hosiery that have hairy legs and the effect does not look good at all. If you are wearing a skirt with socks then the hairy legs are not really an issue at all, at least not to me. If you do wish to wear hosiery and not shave your legs then you'll need to wear a dark hose to reduce the visibility of the hair under them or the look will attract attention that you may not want. I myself have a very light colored hair so not shaving for me is not really an issue as the hair is hard to see anyway.

On the other side of this is that bare nonhairy legs to me also detract from the look as every "blemish" that the legs have stand out. It still boggles my mind how anyone can go out in public and not try to look their best no matter what they are wearing, much less wearing footwear with nothing on their feet. But then I was brought up in an age where you always had some sort of footwear on when wearing shoes so it's just a part of me. I am not comfortable wearing shoes of any type without something on my feet. After all you don't really know who put on the shoes you just bought before you decided on them and what they may or may not have exposed their feet too before trying on those same shoes. And even if you have had them for a while you still don't know what kind of creatures may have been crawling around in or on your shoes while your were not wearing them. many foot diseases have been spread this way amongst other way you can pick them up.

In the end run it is always your choice how you present, I am simply expressing my personal viewpoint.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Yonkas wrote:the problem, again, is society is not logical. Society thinks skirts go with shaven legs. Furthermore, this also dovetails with another point I made, which is combining masculine with feminine can create dissonance and make you appear absurd to others. Hairy legs are seen as masculine (which is silly, yes), and so I think that, if you pair them with a more feminine garment, people find that disconcerting or awkward looking. I mean, look at "humorous" caricatures of transvestites, such as in this example, http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Okama. Society does not consider hairy legs matched with skirts flattering. Blame society, not me.
If I used societal conventions to guide my clothing style, I wouldn't wear a skirt. Even if I did use these conventions for guidance, I think society disapproves of men shaving their legs even more than it disapproves of unshaven legs being combined with skirts.

In my view (which is my guide, when it comes to my selecting clothing for myself):
  • Skirts are for everyone, and don't necessarily have feminine connotations.
  • Unshaven and shaven legs are perfectly acceptable choices for everyone.
  • In particular, the combination of skirts with unshaven legs looks quite nice, regardless of the wearer's sex.
  • Choosing to blend in is a fine choice. Choosing to look transgressive is, too!
I appreciate the in-depth perspectives you shared on these topics, Yonas. It's always interesting to hear others' opinions on these things. :)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

In public I get more flack for carrying a purse than for any other article I've worn nothing no matter how feminine. Strange really.... :?

I have literally had people tell me.... "uh... why are you carrying a pocket book?" Totally ignoring the skirt. When I reply that my skirts don't have pockets they seem confused as though I should just carry stuff by hand.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

The problem: Yes, men have a bulge
And females have two get use to it as it's not our problem.
Yonkas
Distinguished Member

Post by Yonkas »

finrod wrote:If I used societal conventions to guide my clothing style, I wouldn't wear a skirt.
That goes without saying, but you seem to be treating this as a black and white issue, when it really exists in gradations, like most other things. I personally believe people should have the right to wear see-through clothing in public, too (though, it's not my preference), but if a male skirt wearer also spent some of his time doing that, too, I would discourage it.

Of course, we shouldn't let society completely dictate our clothing styles, but we shouldn't also act like the way we present ourselves doesn't have significant impacts on the way society views us. If you're like me, you want to be comfortable and not be restricted in your wardrobe, but you also want to still be alive when society no longer frowns upon skirt wearing. This is not because I care about what others think of me. I don't. However, I am very much aware of how my choices affect my family, and the way in which I interact with the world (as many of you are). Last night, I went walking my dog in a leather skirt, and became slightly concerned when a yellow hummer passed, slowed down, turned around, and then parked right where I was walking. Was I in any danger? Probably not. Was I being paranoid? Possibly. Would I have not had such concerns had I not been dressed in a leather skirt? Hell, yes.

I shouldn't have to live with that kind of concern just for wearing a garment. Nobody should have to.

The same goes for my family. There are consequences to my skirt wearing, which might cost my wife her students, should they find out about my habits. It goes deeper than "not caring what others think of me."

So, for me, this whole business requires a delicate balance between pushing the boundaries so that I can get closer to wearing my ideal outfits, which are nowhere near the current vision of masculinity, and miinmizing the probability of harm, physical, or otherwise. All of this would be so much easier if society just stopped being so goddamn stupid, and learned that being a heterosexual male is not equivalent to how you choose to dress, how you choose to spend your time, how you act, etc...
finrod wrote:Even if I did use these conventions for guidance, I think society disapproves of men shaving their legs even more than it disapproves of unshaven legs being combined with skirts.
That's an interesting hypothesis, and one that seems unlikely to me. Why do you think that?

Olympic swimmers shave their legs, and I don't see anyone questioning their masculinity or their sexual orientation. Yet, if Michael Phelps were photographed with a skirt on, I am sure the media would be a-whirl with such questions about his identity.
finrod wrote:Skirts are for everyone, and don't necessarily have feminine connotations.
Yes, you would think this would be such an obvious conclusion, but people have such difficulty wrapping their heads around it. Maybe if we educated more people in the art of critical thinking, and history, this would not be such a sticking point.
finrod wrote:Unshaven and shaven legs are perfectly acceptable choices for everyone.
Amen, but it doesn't matter what we think, if we are trying to get accepted. It matters what society thinks. Unfortunately, as always, it is up the minority to challenge the prejudice of the majority, because the majority sucks at seeing beyond its own privilege.

As I said to Sinned, if you don't care about our cause gaining traction, then this is a non-issue. However, if you do, then you have to be strategic. Now, if I accept your position that society finds doing this less acceptable than skirt wearing, I don't see how doing both simultaneously helps our cause.
finrod wrote:In particular, the combination of skirts with unshaven legs looks quite nice, regardless of the wearer's sex.
Ehh, I am not the biggest fan of body hair, but I certainly won't hold it against you if you have it.
finrod wrote:Choosing to blend in is a fine choice. Choosing to look transgressive is, too!
But I'm not choosing to blend in, because I wear skirts in public, especially today, since I am wearing a skirt that falls above the knees in public for the first time. Again, this is not a black and white issue.
finrod wrote:I appreciate the in-depth perspectives you shared on these topics, Yonas. It's always interesting to hear others' opinions on these things. :)
The feeling is mutual. Thanks for responding. Disagreement is good for the soul of any society.
Last edited by Yonkas on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yonkas
Distinguished Member

Post by Yonkas »

moonshadow wrote:In public I get more flack for carrying a purse than for any other article I've worn nothing no matter how feminine. Strange really.... :?

I have literally had people tell me.... "uh... why are you carrying a pocket book?" Totally ignoring the skirt. When I reply that my skirts don't have pockets they seem confused as though I should just carry stuff by hand.
Yeah, I too, have noticed that the handbag carries more baggage than it should. In fact, even though it's practical, I was happy for it to get cold enough for me to wear a coat with pockets so that I could go out skirted without my handbag.

That's an odd reaction, though. It's not like men carrying satchels is unheard of.

Society is weird.

If I may speculate, I wonder if people are likelier to comment on your handbag than they are on the skirt because they feel like it's less awkward to do so. Commenting on a bag might make for passing bit of small talk, whereas commenting on your skirt is dangerous for a number of reasons.

One of them is that they might think you are doing it for religious reasons. I had at least two people question my religious background when they saw me wearing a skirt. I work with one of them, and, after my first few days of skirt wearing at work, she asked me if I did it for religious reasons. The second time religion became an issue was from a man who thought I might be Muslim. Religion is such a touchy subject that I think most people try to avoid talking about it.

Another good reason is that they might think I am transgender, which is, again, another touchy subject.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I wear skirts (and kilts) mainly for comfort. The last thing I would do is to make a fashion statement.
I wear skirts the same way as shorts. The fabric and color is more or less identical. So what fits with shorts will also fit with skirts in my case.
If I try to shave my legs, I will be banned from the house and have to sleep in de doghouse. Thinking of it, we don't even have a dog. :shock:

For tips: it is always simple to start with kilts. When they are used to the idea, change to dark colored skirts and see how you will be comfortable with shorter and/or more colorful skirts.
Go first where they don't know you to get used to the feeling of wearing skirts. Then go closer to home.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak