Why is it?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Why is it?

Post by Tackleberry »

Why is it when you go onto a website to browse for skirts and you see one you like and it's out of stock or not in your size?
That's quite annoying :lol:
Bbath2003

Re: Why is it?

Post by Bbath2003 »

My problem is I'm a 12 to14 depending on were I shop and it's hard to find cute stuff in that size.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

If you are in the US go to Kohl's or Sears They have a tremendous selection
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

oldsalt1 wrote:If you are in the US go to Kohl's or Sears They have a tremendous selection
Also consider Target - Wal*Mart - JCPenny and Macy's.
The styles and sizes are out there - you just have to widen your search field.
Caution when searching (looking) at Sears you are quite possibly searching KMart too.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

r.m.anderson wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote:If you are in the US go to Kohl's or Sears They have a tremendous selection
Also consider Target - Wal*Mart - JCPenny and Macy's.
The styles and sizes are out there - you just have to widen your search field.
Caution when searching (looking) at Sears you are quite possibly searching KMart too.
I have had that happen I ordered from sears and because a Kmart was closer to my home I picked the skirts up at K mart.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:I have had that happen I ordered from sears and because a Kmart was closer to my home I picked the skirts up at K mart.
It's the same company now, and has been for a while. The old "Sears and Roebuck" is a distant memory.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I would have thought that with 12 - 16 being the most popular sizes that it would be obvious that they would sell out first. I'm a 14 or 16 depending on the brand so yes, I suffer from the same problem. Especially on the sales rack where there are plenty of 8's, 10's, 18's and 20+'s. Don't get me started on dresses where I am an 18, 20 or 22 top but 14 or 16 bottom. The black art of women's sizes.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Tackleberry wrote:Why is it when you go onto a website to browse for skirts and you see one you like and it's out of stock or not in your size?
That's quite annoying.
Fate.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

In Newport, Gwent- there is a Matalan outlet warehouse for unsold clothes, mainly ladies. It is huge, stuffed full with 8,10, 12, 20,22,24 sizes. With the average woman's size being from 14, 16 and slightly larger lady 18, WHY doesn't Matalan buyers order more of the average size from manufacturers. Then they won't have a warehouse full of items that won't sell in the proper shops. Matalan sizes tend to be small- sometimes up to two sizes small. Logo name is Papaya.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Tackleberry wrote:Why is it when you go onto a website to browse for skirts and you see one you like and it's out of stock or not in your size?
I do still sometimes buy my skirts over the internet but now I mostly buy them in shops. I'm just struggling when it comes to trying them on in the shops but I'll do that one day soon.
Bbath2003

Post by Bbath2003 »

There's a cross dresser shop near my house I buy there a lot becus they keep more in the 10 to 16 range and it's nice to be able to ask to try something on and they don't look at you funny.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Before I venture forth in search of a skirt or other clothing I check the stores stock on hand.
Easy to do with Kohl's go to their website and browse for that special skirt and check to make
sure that is not an ONLINE ONLY sale. Look to find one at a store near you - open a new window
and put in your zip code and the stores that are in your immediate area (10 miles or something
like that) - it is either available or not - if available click on that store and get the results of
how many are in stock - then it is off to that store to try it on and buy it.
You can also order online and pick-up at the closest store with free shipping.
Bonus use the stores fitting room try for size before leaving for home.
Another reason I like Kohl's is use their charge card and get various discounts available by mail
and online - If the sale is over $50 get a $10 off coupon on your next venture * and of course
some restrictions apply (don't they always - YMMV) ! Liberal return policy and price match although
their clothing is pretty much their own label. Best deal is to wait till the season end and check
the clearance rack - almost like they are giving the clothing away.

Target and Wal*Mart have similar operations - online and store pick-up.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I've found that thrift shops are a good place to search for larger skirts. You'll note that older ladies tend be be a little wide from the waist down, and you'll find lots of their old skirts show up on a GoodWill rack, in addition to some little cute ones that are closer to the size 12-14 range.

It does seem like a lot of the stuff on cheap internet sites are made for Asian's. They have tea cup size waist. I'm talking you can about get your hands around them.. If you see Asian model's just keep scrolling. Their 3xxx MIGHT be 30" around. If you're lucky.

I've found walmart doesn't have much in regards of skirts and/or dresses. In fact I've been in some walmarts that don't carry any at all. Just women's trousers. K-Marts have a few, depending on the time of year, but it's normally one rack of the same style, just in different sizes. If you hit up a K-Mart, better hurry, they're dropping like flies. But really, their selection isn't worth a special trip anyway. Belks, JCPenny, etc have a little bit better selection, and will be more "trendy" and modern, but bring your credit card, some of their skirts can be pretty pricey.

Your local hippie shop might have some cool skirts to try on. Just don't mind the frankincense that hangs in the air. They're normally pretty liberal minded and I've not been in one that wasn't TOTALLY cool with men in skirts! :D Some of my favorite skirts came from my local "hippie" store, Misty Mountain Designs in Bristol VA/TN.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

hairy wrote:
I do still sometimes buy my skirts over the internet but now I mostly buy them in shops. I'm just struggling when it comes to trying them on in the shops but I'll do that one day soon.
I'm planning on going to Matalan tomorrow and having a browse and if I see a skirt or two I like going to try them on in the changing room...
I used to pick a pair of jeans to take in with me but I'll man up and just take a skirt in...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Tack, I have shopped often in Matalan and I have tried on skirts in their changing rooms but you'll naturally have to use the men's side. They have always been fine about it. It generally generates a short discussion with the girl managing the changing area. You shouldn't have any problems and just remember that they want not only the sale but for you to come back to the store again.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.