Another one for the Books

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Another one for the Books

Post by phathack »

r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Another one for the Books

Post by r.m.anderson »

Is that a skirt with zipper placket in the front ?
OR Culottes with inner separated stove pipes and seaming ?

This is not a skirt I was expecting or looking for !

Oh you were referring to the books in the left hand is that it ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

How you managed to post such an enormous photo escapes me. Unfortunately most of the subject was cut off.

Martin

ps : take that back. My computer has been running very badly since going on to Apple's latest OS they call Sierra, and it did not accommodate the pic. By reducing the font size, I managed to see the whole man --very handsome, of course. But what has font size to do with pictures?
The main feature of Sierra seems to be the every click produces a pretty little multi-color wheel. If lucky, work will resume in about 30 secs. Other times the only solution is to shut the machine down and start again.
FED UP !
Going off topic; sorry !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The whole photo was visible to me. And I liked it. That's kinda my style.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Couya wrote:My computer has been running very badly since going on to Apple's latest OS they call Sierra [...]
Apple has been dead from the neck up since Steve Jobs passed. They're running on pure inertia now. It'll take a while, but that will catch up with them eventually.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Agreed, Carl. Their focus has been on the phone market, surrendering the PC market to a substantial degree, apparently. Perhaps the current trendy focus on phone apps is the source of America's seeming dumbth? Not that MS has made any radical advances in the meantime... Perhaps the extent of computing has been reached, now, short of personalized AI?
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

It needs a good ironing/pressing
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:Perhaps the current trendy focus on phone apps is the source of America's seeming dumbth? Not that MS has made any radical advances in the meantime... Perhaps the extent of computing has been reached, now, short of personalized AI?
I think it's more of a case of turning the computer from a general-purpose tool which users were encouraged to program for themselves into a device to shove advertising and marketing at "information consumers". This, primarily has led to the "dumbing down" of the contraptions.

Microsoft haven't made any radical advances since the early 1980s.

Personalised AI may be necessary for the future since CI (Carbon-based Intelligence) seems to be fading away -- at least on these shores. We've all heard about AI, but I suspect the next big leap will be in AS (Artificial Stupidity).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

RichardA wrote:It needs a good ironing/pressing
Well, it might improve performance, but I think Apple stays one ahead of any remedy we might think of.

;-)
Martin
jazbell

Post by jazbell »

Windows 10 is artificial stupidity.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

jazbell wrote:Windows 10 is artificial stupidity.
Yes, 99% of any Windows upgrade seems to be moving stuff around so you can't find it anymore.

Jim
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Although MS has announced that Windoze 10 will be their very last OS and that everything from now on will just be upgrades to it. This is the announcement from an email from Computer Weekly:

"Windows 10 starts a new era for Microsoft as this will be the last Operation Service (OS) they will ever create. From now on, users will no longer have to migrate an entirely new OS, but only update Windows 10. Another key benefit is that it exists across multiple platforms from desktops to tablets to Windows phones; as do the apps designed for the new OS."

I'm sure there's something more official somewhere. There is a God then, after all. And He listens.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

We'll see how extensive the upgrades are. The difference between Windows 10 service pack 99 and Windows 11 is strictly marketing.

And I think Microsoft has to give up on this common UI for PCs, tablets, and phones. All three platforms come out worse. The iPhone and the iMac have different UIs and I think that's been a strength, not a weakness. And Android, of course, isn't like anything on a PC or Mac. Windows Phone, OTOH, has been a crushing failure.

And really, who wants to run Word or Excel on a phone?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Caultron wrote:We'll see how extensive the upgrades are. The difference between Windows 10 service pack 99 and Windows 11 is strictly marketing.

And I think Microsoft has to give up on this common UI for PCs, tablets, and phones. All three platforms come out worse. The iPhone and the iMac have different UIs and I think that's been a strength, not a weakness. And Android, of course, isn't like anything on a PC or Mac. Windows Phone, OTOH, has been a crushing failure.

And really, who wants to run Word or Excel on a phone?
I do prefer a windowsphone over apple or andriod
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Android is basically Linux. Sony tv's use android. Android phones gives one high levels of customisation, plus if you put another launcher on them, there is even more. I have Nova Launcher on my Note 4. It means I can make my phone uniquely different in the way it looks and works. Nothing you can do with iphones or Windows phones.
Apple stuff may work, but the phones are totally boring- you can only do what apple wants you to do on YOUR very expensive bit of gear. Crapple comes to mind.
I have had a Nokia Lumia 820 phone- good, easy to use. Only thing that let Windows phones down was a lack of decent apps- few were any good.